Two New Fish :)

Jolly

When P-body hides, does she lie on the ground in an ornament or corner or does he just hover near a plant or something?

P.S. I love it when Mixies are spunky and energetic! :)

P.P.S. Thats a great explaination Bodoba! :clapping:

The tail of the fish is often a tell tale sign, it could just be one that was missed in culling but I tend to just call them mixes.

There can be other signs but usually I just focus on the tail.

The tail of the fish is often a tell tale sign, it could just be one that was missed in culling but I tend to just call them mixes.

There can be other signs but usually I just focus on the tail.

Ok...and still nothing about this fish's tail that would say that this fish is mixed. Do point it out for me, please.

http://www.bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/fantail/fantail.htm

Well the tail looks a little raggedy and uneven with sharper ends than you would find on a normal fantail, a normal fantail should have tail fins wich have slightly more rounded lobes and the fins should be more even in size.

Well the tail looks a little raggedy and uneven with sharper ends than you would find on a normal fantail, a normal fantail should have tail fins wich have slightly more rounded lobes and the fins should be more even in size.

Hmm.

Did you see the fantail standard I posted, as described by the Bristol Aquarists, along with the sample pics? That's not how they have it.

Also, such "raggedy and uneven" caudal as you say could be because the fish is just young and perhaps not the best representative of the standard, not because it's a mixed type. There is nothing to me at this stage that would indicate that it's a "mixed type."

I did look at the link and it is very interesting to look at.

That is just my way of doing it, it is hard to tell when the fish are young but that is usually the way I can tell.

I was just offering my opinion, I said that I think he is and not that I know he is.

I did look at the link and it is very interesting to look at.

That is just my way of doing it, it is hard to tell when the fish are young but that is usually the way I can tell.

I was just offering my opinion, I said that I think he is and not that I know he is.

Absolutely.

Except this. The only real way to know is to know the parents. Otherwise, it's just a guess :)

For me it's too juvenile to tell. With the development of the stomach from the second pic there is a chance it could be a ryukin as it is still conforming to the diamond shape body while progressing in growth. The only way to know for sure is to give it time to see if that hump develops or if further growth will give it a less sharp and softer (rounder) body shape.

It is a stunning fish no less and I do enjoy the short lobed tail on it :)

When P-body hides, does she lie on the ground in an ornament or corner or does he just hover near a plant or something?

Sorry...just now saw this. P-body usually hovers behind a plant where she thinks no one can see her. :) She is becoming more outgoing now too as she gets used to everything.

Sorry...just now saw this. P-body usually hovers behind a plant where she thinks no one can see her. :) She is becoming more outgoing now too as she gets used to everything.

Thank goodness! I was a bit worried when you said that because often when my fish are sick they will hide under an ornament with their bellies on the ground but your fish was just shy.

Mixed or not, I love him! :) I will post updated pics after they grow a bit and maybe that will help.

I agree completly!

P.S. I can't wait to see the new pics!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...