[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?- 0

[*]Nitrite Level?- 0

[*]Nitrate level?-really low

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?- 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?- 8.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?- api drops

[*]Water temperature?- 80*F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?- 5g, about a month or so?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?- filter that came with the marineland crescent 5

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?- once a week, 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?- 1 (um, betta size? ;) 1 inch ish)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?- prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?- omega 1 betta pellets, 2x a day, 2 pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?- mowgli

[*]Any medications added to the tank?- nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - frayed fins

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?- nope

Please help! I have no clue about anything betta-ish. His fins looked a little odd yesterday, but today they look absolutely awful :(( What should i do?

Thank you!

-Mandie

It's hard to say whether it is nipping or rot. The blackening around the edging of the fins is usually a sign of fin rot, but as I have recently learned, that especially on blue bettas, it can just be a pigment change.

I understand you don't have a water changer at the moment, so you can go ahead and add in 1/2 a tsp of aquarium salt. It is a low dosage, but best to start low so you can observe how he tolerates it, then increase later if needed. If you can, scoop out around 30% of the water and replace it.

When you can, do a 50% water change on the tank cleaning from the sand. In the mean time, try and reduce stress and watch for nipping :)

EDIT:

Just as a general tip, try and get more protein into his diet such as frozen blood worms or brine shrimp a few times a week :)

Edited by Narny105

Awesome, thanks for that super helpful answer! :)

I actually did get a new water changer today, but that was nice of you to think of :) I try not to mix any of the Betta equipment with the Goldie equipment, I'm weird about that, so I just use a cup and a turkey Baster for mowgli's tank :) I am planning on doing a 50% wc tomorrow, but maybe I'll just do It tonight so I can add the salt :)

I'll keep you posted :)

I wouldn't stress at all, Mandie :) Grover was unwell from the start and wasn't eating.

Yes, even my betta will bottom sit from time to time at night, or sometimes he will rest in the plants close to the surface. As long as he is swimming around tomorrow morning, don't worry about it :)

Keep an eye on his fins and if you notice anything you feel worried about just post here. As far as I can see, he is displaying his fins well, and looks very healthy. Fin issues are very common in bettas, so we'll just see how the water changes and salt works :)

Keep up with the 50% water changes and salt. Every three days for a water change should be plenty as you will also have the salt in the tank. Make sure you are cleaning from the sand.

Omega 1 does have protein in it, but if your mum is willing definitely try to get some frozen foods since you can also feed them to your goldfish :)

Bettas in general don't handle salt as well as goldfish, and some can have intolerances to it meaning they cannot balance the salinity levels within their bodies correctly when salt is added. The overuse of salt can also cause salt intolerance issues in bettas. At that low of a dose, he should have no issues. Many people can salt up to 0.1%, but better to start with lower dosages as higher dosages might be unnecessary, as well as to observe for any reactions :)

Okay! I'll try my best, although they totally and completely gross me out. Tweezers and gloves shall be used! :rofl I'll try asking her again tomorrow.

Oh, okay, that makes sense :)

Edited by pandamanda111

Okay! I'll try my best, although they totally and completely gross me out. Tweezers and gloves shall be used! :rofl I'll try asking her again tomorrow.

Oh, okay, that makes sense :)

How is he going?

Hi Mandie, I hope Mowgli has improved!

What I've read on the internet is that more symmetrical chunks missing = nipping and more fuzzy, melting, shredding and holes appearing = fin rot. But I recently found out that there are different looks of fin nipping. See link below. Of course to make things more complicated you can end up with a combination of nipping and fin rot. Anyway, like Narny says, clean water, reducing stress and low dosage salt is the way to go. I agree with Narny that Mowgli looks healthy with a good colour. As long as he is still active and enthusiastic for food, I wouldn't worry for now. BTW, if your Mum doesn't agree to buy the bloodworms. Check what protein content your current betta food has. You might be able to find betta pellets with a higher protein content. For example: Betta Bio-Gold from Hikari has min of 38% of crude protein. Here is that link. Photos are almost at bottom of page 1:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99545-almost-no-tail-left-at-wits-end/

Good luck!

Hi Mandie, I hope Mowgli has improved!

What I've read on the internet is that more symmetrical chunks missing = nipping and more fuzzy, melting, shredding and holes appearing = fin rot. But I recently found out that there are different looks of fin nipping. See link below. Of course to make things more complicated you can end up with a combination of nipping and fin rot. Anyway, like Narny says, clean water, reducing stress and low dosage salt is the way to go. I agree with Narny that Mowgli looks healthy with a good colour. As long as he is still active and enthusiastic for food, I wouldn't worry for now. BTW, if your Mum doesn't agree to buy the bloodworms. Check what protein content your current betta food has. You might be able to find betta pellets with a higher protein content. For example: Betta Bio-Gold from Hikari has min of 38% of crude protein. Here is that link. Photos are almost at bottom of page 1:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99545-almost-no-tail-left-at-wits-end/

Good luck!

That's interesting :)

Thanks, isabella! :)

Alex-

I can't really tell if it is getting better or not. He is still happy and active and eating. Would you like some more pics? :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99211-finrot-what-you-need-to-know/

Hi Mandie,

You've probably looked at Koko's betta section already, but I just re-read this pinned post which I thought gave good information! Coincidental I had been thinking of moving Pebbles tank thinking he might be a bit lonely. Currently he is in the tv room and we don't watch tv all that much anymore. Our family room is a busier place. Now all I've got to do is figure out where, hmmmm.......

Cheers,

Isabella.

I feel your pain Mandie :(

My poor Kaida went down with either nipping or fin rot last week. I haven't been able to determine exactly which one it is yet but he is showing significant improvement (although it seems very slow) since last week. I was advised to do 50% W/C every other day in the beginning with the .1% salt and since he tolerated it well it has been helping. Just wanted to give you some positive motivation since sometimes it seems like the healing process isn't going anywhere.

In your caring hand, Im sure Mowgli will be good as new again. Just be observant and patient :)

Mandie, I can see some improvement on his caudal fin, and there is also appears to be regrowth showing which is a good sign, although the photos are a little too blurry for me to clearly see. I also noticed he is now missing a chunk out of his anal fin. I still wouldn't rule out nipping since all the places fins have gone missing are all places he would be able to reach and nip.

Up the salt level to 1tsp per 5 gallons and keep up with 50% changes every three days. I understand you are pretty stressed and busy at the moment, so every three days should be fine for now. It hasn't been long since the issue started, so I wouldn't expect to see much improvement now anyway. Hopefully within another week or so there will be some evident positive recovery with the fins.

Edited by Narny105

If you have to leave it for four days that should be ok, as long as you do a water change before you leave. Every three days would be preferable but if you or no one else can then it should be fine. The salt is in there do that should be fine in the meantime :) just make sure you or someone else can monitor him :)

Edited by Narny105