Indoor Rubbermaid Tub Pond

I'm just wondering...

Rubbermaid tubs that are make to hold Christmas trees for storage seem like really nice indoor goldfish ponds :D

I can't find any online at the moment, but they're quite large...

I love the sound of it. Anyway, my plans are to take slab-shaped stones and make a kind of stepping-stone arrangement around the edges of the bin to cover up the sides. On the stones there will be some missing bits here and there so I can put some attractive, small potted plants there.

Would this work?

I would love to have that one day :)

Or as soon as possible xD

It just sounds like a really nice addition.

Also you could buy multiple bins, melt off the smaller ends on opposite sides, and melt them to connect together, forming one really large pond that might stretch across a room if you'd like.

I don't know if that would work though...

Opinions?

:krazy:

I'm not sure about the melting together part,but so long as the container is food safe your plan is possible. Just make sure that the container is also sturdy enough or well supported,so the sides don't bow out and make a mess.

I'm not sure about the melting together part,but so long as the container is food safe your plan is possible. Just make sure that the container is also sturdy enough or well supported,so the sides don't bow out and make a mess.

Yup....my uncle is a wood turner, and for a big project he had to melt rubbermaid tubs together (what I'm talking about) and completely fill them with wood so humidity wouldn't ruin it. But you're right, I'd have to be careful. That would be horrible if all that money and work went to the pond spilling.

These sound interesting. Do you have some around that you could measure and photograph? It will be useful to compare sizes and prices with stock tanks. Stock tanks have the advantage that they are designed to hold water, and the water held in them is safe to drink.

Here's something that is perfect for a small indoor pond: http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Plastic-Heavy-Rectangular-60-Gallon/dp/B0074HR8RK/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_4 Fish safe, guaranteed for 10 years, and cheap. I have ordered two of them.

I like your idea for a surround. The best place for plants is in a bog filter next to the pond. They will grow like crazy and you don't have to water or fertilize them.

The problem with fusing two tubs together is that when you put water in any (even slightly) flexible container the pressure of the water will push the sides out "trying" to make the container circular. That's why stock tanks have such big ugly rims. The longer the tub, the further out the middle will bulge. Thus, large aquariums have cross braces in the middle. For tubs of modest size, a 2x4 frame around the top will handle this, but if it stretches across the room, the 2x4s would probably warp.