REVIEW: Repashy Soilent Green Gel (Premix Powder)

I am getting tired of shelling peas and alot of times they disintegrate when I put them in the water which contributes to dirty looking water which I really don't like.

You're cooking your peas too much or squishing them too hard. None of my peas really come apart when I pop them in.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fish REALLY like this stuff (I am feeding Solient Green & Mazuri)

I like the idea I saw in the video of putting a "chunk" on a string...I may try that just for the heck of it! But I basically have been feeding it just like (and along with) the Mazuri which I store the squares in the freezer & have some thawed in the frig in a sealed container.

So far So good!!

(I just fed them a few minutes ago & I REALLY see the goldfish nose down digging into the rocks to get every morsel!!!)

I am getting tired of shelling peas and alot of times they disintegrate when I put them in the water which contributes to dirty looking water which I really don't like.

You're cooking your peas too much or squishing them too hard. None of my peas really come apart when I pop them in.

I buy canned. I hate peas with a passion, the smell, the taste, so I would never cook them :o lol

The last couple of days I have frozen them for a few minutes before I feed them and that seems to help alot. I am also being more patient when I shell them to keep them in their original form instead of squishing them. Another reason to try the repashy gel. I found it on amazon so ordered a 2oz bag to try.

Edited by cmclien

Well, that would be the problem. Buy frozen peas, steep them in hot water for a minute, then pop them out a hole in the shell.

I don't like peas myself, but goldies sure do, so I keep a bag around.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Where can you buy that? I checked my LFS.

You can order it online rather cheap here

http://tedsfishroom.com/

;)

Winner Winner chicken Dinner..... First place it has shown up... Most LFS dont have them yet. May take a while before it shows up to a LFS near you... :)

• 1 month later...

I gave them some Meat Pie today (a meatier gel than Soilent Green, also by Allen) and the goldfish ate it with gusto. Variety being the spice of life I'll give them some every now and then.

Edited by Mavortium

I gave them some Meat Pie today (a meatier gel than Soilent Green, also by Allen) and the goldfish ate it with gusto. Variety being the spice of life I'll give them some every now and then.

Definitely. For variety, I use Spawn & Grow (better than meat pie I think), Community Plus, and Super Green! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I got lazy and was feeding my ladies pellets instead of the SG for over a week. OJ was seriously floaty, Froyo gulped constantly, and Piccolo... well, she was just Piccolo lol. I switched back to SG a couple days ago and I see a marked improvement in OJ and Froyo. I'm not saying it's a miracle food but my drama queens do really well on it.

I feed my discus freeze dried black worms and Meat Pie. It took them a while to realize that food can either float OR sink but they got the hang of it and they love it :)

VERY happy with Soilent Green. No floatiness, no gulping, and my fish enjoys it just as much as I enjoy preparing it! I don't even think the smell is bad... like freshly turned earth.

<3 Thank you Alex for this review!

Awesome looking product Alex! To say my first batch of gel with agar powder was a flustercluck would be an understatement. This stuff looks idiot proof, they musta had me in mind :)

Awesome looking product Alex! To say my first batch of gel with agar powder was a flustercluck would be an understatement. This stuff looks idiot proof, they musta had me in mind :)

:rofl

You don't even know how many batches of my homemade gel food I've chucked because they didn't come out right. It took me several months to get a recipe down that I really like, that has the right firmness and consistency.

Chunking my gel food would be admitting defeat, hah! I wasn't gonna let a bunch of crappy fish food get the best of me, consarn it! Musta reheated if 5 times, spent hours fighting with it. Finally told my fish they'd learn to like it :)