REVIEW: Repashy Soilent Green Gel (Premix Powder)

Thank you, coco, for adding your reviews and observations. :thumbs:

Thankfully, mine still eat their pellets when offered. With the 55 gallon, I still do mostly Pro-Gold, with soilent green gel every 6th meal. With the 100g, they get soilent green almost all the time, with perhaps pellets for 1 meal each week. I do plan on mixing in some bloodworms in a future gel.

I didn't see any reaction as you did in any of mine, and I'm glad yours is OK :)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually not selling any. However, I may be able to send you a little to try, at cost + shipping. Will you PM me next week? Thanks.

Keep in mind that this will be from my own 1 pound bag of food, so it will come to you in a zip lock bag.

Alex, did you try the idea of painting the food onto rocks or feeding them bigger chunks to nibble on? It would be nice if there was a food they could graze on.

oooh, you can paint it on rocks!? I like that idea!! You should try it Alex and let us know how it goes :P

I think the idea works on smaller (non-gold) fish. If I were to do it, one fish would be scarfing down the entire sheet. Also, my OCD requires that all the food I give them must disappear from the tank within 10-15 minutes. :rofl

I think the idea works on smaller (non-gold) fish. If I were to do it, one fish would be scarfing down the entire sheet. Also, my OCD requires that all the food I give them must disappear from the tank within 10-15 minutes. :rofl

lol. maybe you need to paint an entire boulder for the goldies! Someone must try it just for fun :P

I think it's a really neat idea, but at least with soilent green, the stuff gels incredibly fast. All I have time to do is to pour it from the measuring cup into the mold, and it's pretty much already gelling. I'm not at all complaining about this, since I like that it gels so fast. I do have a hard time imagining how you would paint it on the rock, unless you drop the rock in the hot mixture. I'm sure it's do-able, but it will drive me crazy. I need my fish food in little diced cubes. :o

Oh Dude! TD gave me an idea... Golf balls with the gel food on it.... Oh I got to try once I get some WOOT! :tomuch:

Would they float? Some sort of floating ball covered in this stuff would keep them entertained for hours!! You must take video if you try it koko!

Golf balls with the gel food on it

Golf ball sink, as demonstrated by the round I played this afternoon! They are also too smooth to be a good object to stich Repashy gel food to.

The best surfaces to stick gel food to are very rough, and even then the food will eventually flake off.

• Admin
Golf balls with the gel food on it

Golf ball sink, as demonstrated by the round I played this afternoon! They are also too smooth to be a good object to stich Repashy gel food to.

The best surfaces to stick gel food to are very rough, and even then the food will eventually flake off.

Yes they do :lol3

Humm I wonder if I rough up the ball it might want to stick... Going to have to play around with this idea :lol

See my two Orandas think that pushing my snail around is a good game. So why not a golf ball they can push :rofl

TD (my Hubby) just came up with a neat idea... Put a net around the golf ball then the food... ?! :thumb: Maybe :lol3

I look forward to hearing if it works!

Just wanted to say my rep ashy food arrived just NOW. It's sitting in the kitchen and I'm itching to try it! :D

Ok, I've finished making it. Let me start by confirming what Alex said: it's SO easy to make. But holy cow, does it stink.

However, the smell is a small price to pay when you consider the simplicity in making it, plus it has what seems to be a wonderful consistency. It was firm within minutes.

The taste test went great! It was gone as soon as it hit the bottom of the tank.

I didn't quite realize what Alex was saying about it being expensive as I hadn't seen larger sizes other than the 2 oz. I paid $6.99 for 2 oz and I know that seems expensive but for those of us who only have a few goldfish it'll last a while. Also, when I think of the amount of money I've paid trying all sorts of new gel food recipes for my floaty goldfish $6.99 wasn't bad. So that said, if you only have a few goldfish you could probably stick with the smaller quantities. 1/4 cup powder mixed with 3/4 cup water made enough to feed my 3 goldfish for the next 4-5 weeks. However, if you have several goldfish (which I know several members here do) it could be a little more expensive. But the food has high quality ingredients in it and I know everyone here is interested in the welfare of their fish so I highly recommend it even if it's a little more expensive.

As far as the long term effects and goals, we will have to see but so far so good :)

However, the smell is a small price to pay when you consider the simplicity in making it, plus it has what seems to be a wonderful consistency. It was firm within minutes.

I TOLD you that stuff stinks! :rofl

I've likened it to a fresh summertime bog! :P

Anyway, I think that you will find that the fish won't be floaty, and that there will be lots of green poop. More recently, I have made with a bit more that 1/4 cup of powder + 3/4 cup boiling water, just to pack in the nutrients a little more. The consistency is still quite good.

Remember that you can, and should, feed more of this to your fish, compared to pellets, which are so much more nutrient dense :)

I look forward to your long term assessment.

Btw, a cup of this food lasts me 5 days, if that much :o

I TOLD you that stuff stinks! :rofl

I've likened it to a fresh summertime bog! :P

Anyway, I think that you will find that the fish won't be floaty, and that there will be lots of green poop. More recently, I have made with a bit more that 1/4 cup of powder + 3/4 cup boiling water, just to pack in the nutrients a little more. The consistency is still quite good.

Remember that you can, and should, feed more of this to your fish, compared to pellets, which are so much more nutrient dense :)

I look forward to your long term assessment.

Btw, a cup of this food lasts me 5 days, if that much :o

You weren't kidding! At first I thought it was my nose, but I leaned down and got a good whiff of the stuff and almost keeled over. It reminds me of walking along the beach after a hurricane and there are little critters that perished in the storm left on the shoreline...

I HAVE noticed the green poops. I was very excited haha. I don't think many people get excited over fish poop, but I do since Sachi gets constipated and floaty so easy.

Holy mackerel! Only 5 days? I don't think you've got goldies, I think you've got pigs! :lol1

• Admin

Mine eat a lot. Even though I've only got two, they'll probably go through a teaspoon of gel a day.

Oh boy! Makes me wonder how much Charlie is going to eat!! :yikes