Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

How can I extend my hob intake tube?

My quiet flow filters stop at 6-8 inches from the bottom of the tank. I would like at least one of them to have an intake low towards the bottom. I don't have gravel anymore, just marbles and would like it to pick up waste. Does anyone know a simple way to do this?

I did something with clear tubing back years ago when I had some Marineland Penguin filters. I think I still have a picture of it around somewhere...

Eh. Kinda. Here it is:

reflection.jpg

Basically I took my intake tube and my intake strainer to the hardware store and found some tubing that would fit in/over both pieces. You could try something like this, perhaps.

Thanks alot and your tank here is really beautiful by the way :)

I like how you used different shaped glass containers, I'm in the process of a little re-do on my 20g and will use some smallish glass containers but when I get a bigger tank I might use your ideas. I couldn't go completely bare bottom though its pretty, I got rid of the gravel and now have marbles which they seem to love poking through so I've added more instead of taking away.

Thank you for the tank compliments. :) I don't think I would do my tank like this again, though. It was very nice-looking but not very functional. The large rocks were quite difficult to clean--I basically just had to take all of them out of the container and rinse them, and then put them back in again. It was rather a pain. So if you do something similar, I definitely recommend the smaller rocks, and not too many of them. :)