Tannins in water

bodoba

Water is looking rather rusty at the moment. The heat spell seems to have killed off the green algae leaving a dead rusty soup mess.

A recent leak, and a slight moronic duh moment has caused me to lose about 100 gal. out of my pond so I'll be changing at least 30% of the water as I'm slowly hauling buckets throughout the day.

Water change is one option to deal with tannins, scrape out all the dead leaves, pine needles and other matter that has surfaced to the bottom I plan on doing as well. (though last I checked there wasn't much there, I find it therapeutic to scoop up leaves so it happens daily)

The options that actually involved money are using up activated carbon packs until the water is cleared up or buy a UV sterilizer. Since that pond may get filled in next year I don't plan on spending too much.

The fish seems to be fine, the plants have all doubled in size and the pennywort has tripled. I could buy some more plants as I presume they use tannins and acid like fertilizer. The frogs have spawned but only 1/3 of the eggs have survived when I checked on them last week, the unfertilized all seem to have gotten eaten. The frogs seem to be hanging out in the ferns at the moment as the heat spell is a bit too much for them (and it's tornado weather and animals aren't dumb)

Am I missing any other options that are available? Some low cost magical solutions like leprachaun poop or griffin feathers?

Ok sorry for double posting but also found that you can use barley to help absorb the tannin colour but you can't use it at the same time as the activated carbon as they will neutralize each other out.

I have tannins in the water all the time since live oaks shed leaves year around. I just live with water that is clear but tinted. After all, some people dye their pond water. I did toss some activated carbon in a filter once and the water did become colorless for a while. I can't imagine how a UV would help. All it does is kill microorganisms (most of which are beneficial to the ecosystem).

Where did you hear that barley straw removes tannins? All I can find (including from the people who sell it) is that its decomposition releases tannins into the water.

Your choices are carbon and water change, as far as I know. Why are you hauling buckets? Can't you just pump the water out and replace it by hose?

Uhmm I was googling tannins in water and it came up in a pondboss thread I believe, I also saw the same thing again looking in a koi thread. It certainly won't kill the world to put barley in pantyhose and see if it'll absorb the tannins a bit so I'm willing to experiment that.

The house got resided, so we have no outside tap therefore no connection for a hose. There are no connection available inside the house for a hose either. So I haul 5 gallon buckets and pray for rain lmao.

How big is your pond?

In my experience (with aquariums and driftwood) Purigen removed tannins very effectively, and even more fantastic - it's reusable. 1L of Purigen treats about 1000 gallons and costs about $50CAD. Needs to go inside a filter.

Edit to add: when I say effectively, I mean my aquarium went from brown to crystal clear. It's awesome stuff. You have to re-charge the stuff about every 6 months and it also reduces ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.

Edited by Niffarious

My pond is an old satellite dish. So a 7ft diameter hemisphere. Last time I calculated the volume came to around 270 gallons. It has sunken into the ground and the rockwork built up to keep it level with the lawn so it may be up to 300 gals. Needless to say I lose count when hauling buckets :lol

My LFS carries seachem products (for instance I get prime from them), so I'm sure since they sell a lot of koi they would have this product or it could be ordered. I will find out since it comes in a small 250mL container which would do for this year.

In the interim my lovely boyfriend got me some barley seeds that I will see if the theory on them will be effective. Should be able to get to the lfs in the next month or so.