Fish Intake-Nanny Ogg UPDATE

Ok, I solved the intake issue and salted the water but despite my rigorous cleaning efforts, I noticed a couple of grains of salt on her indicating ich. I'm doing a water change as I type (paused it though) and an upping the salt to .2% and temp. to 80. Anything else I should be doing? :)

Thanks!

Edited by MomofMany

• Supporter

as long as you know for sure that this fish is female and the white specs are not on the gillplates or pec fins indicating breeding stars, i would do as you posted. 0.2% salt and keep temp at 80F.

ich will not go away from just cleaning all in the tank and filters, the parasite needs to be killed as well as it's lifecycle of larvae. so it can take a few weeks and sometimes even longer of continuous treatment. good luck celeste :)

You will need to raise the salt to 0.3% for the final concentration, and leave it at 0.3% for 1 week after the very last ich cyst has disappeared. You will also need to do daily WCs with vigorous gravel vacuuming to aid in the process of removing ich.

Good luck, Celeste!

Stakos, this tank never had ich during the outbreak and I always ran hot water through the python for about 5 minutes and soaked the whole thing in the tub in hot water but still managed to get it in the tank. I even ran the fish net under hot water...everything I could think of. Even my hands! The grains showed up on her tail and one on her body. I know I had a male that got breeding stars on his fins and that took a while to figure out what they were hehe.

Alex, yep, check and check on gravel cleaning daily and continuing the salt :)

One thing I wondered but haven't checked yet...can ich lay dormant? I was wondering if being stuck to the intake lowered her resistance and that's why it cropped up. Thank goodness I caught it early!

Celeste

• Supporter

yes, Ich is one of those that can lay dormant for a very long time.. it doesn't take much for it to spark up again, sometimes a low PH or a very low temperature is enough to reintroduce it to your tank. it's also as simple as using one net in one tank and then in another. Ich is really really easy to cross contaminate.

yes, Ich is one of those that can lay dormant for a very long time.. it doesn't take much for it to spark up again, sometimes a low PH or a very low temperature is enough to reintroduce it to your tank. it's also as simple as using one net in one tank and then in another. Ich is really really easy to cross contaminate.

:exactly

You could also be having low-grade infections in the tanks all this time, because fish can develop resistance to ich. However, as Helen said, a fulminant infection can be triggered relatively easily.

That's why when there has been an outbreak, it's really important follow treatment protocol to try to wipe it out once and for all.

Yep, I was trying....I do recall that I did have the net in one of the ich tanks a week ago and forgot to wash but saw no outbreak in the 56 gal but I guess the intake incident sparked it. The one time I used it, I did remember to put it under hot water after the fact.

What other low grade infections could I have at this time ? Do you mean in tandem with the ich? I know you can get infections after an outbreak because the cysts leave little holes and it doesn't take much to make the fish infected.