Test Results for the Following

• * Ammonia Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level - 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.2, KH=214, GH=17
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.6, KH=214, GH=17
  • Other Required Info:
    * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - API drops
    * Water temperature? - 74-76 depending on the time of day.
    * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 30 gallons, been running approximately 6 months.
    * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - An Aqueon QuiteFlow 30 and an Aqueon QuietFlow 50.
    * How often do you change the water and how much? - Every 4th & 5th day (Prazi routine), about 70%.
    * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - Changed on Sunday the 8th, about 75%.

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 2 adolescents, one is around 2" body length, the other 3".
    * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - Prime.
    * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Fresh Squash or Zuccini every day, peas, bloodworms, egg whites, green beans (just the seeds) and Omega One pellets varied throughout the week.
    * Any new fish added to the tank? - Both are relatively new; Pinto has only been in the tank 2 weeks and Loosi was added on Friday the 6th.
    * Any medications added to the tank? - PraziPro.
    * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) - So far none, thankfully.
    * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - PraziPro with salt at .1% for the last two weeks.
    * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - Loosi has some ripped fins from being nipped at by smaller fish, otherwise there has been no other physical ailments.
    * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - Pinto is still very healthy and active. Loosi started periodically bottom sitting yesterday, but it wouldn't last more than 5 minutes. This morning I noticed she hadn't moved from her spot last night before I went to bed. She will get up and swim around for a minute or two and eat a few pieces of food, but eventually goes right back to bottom sitting with clamped fins. I know bottom sitting and clamped fins are signs of flukes and she is being treated for it, but I don't know if there is something else I can do for her so she isn't feeling so yukcy. :(

• Supporter

everything you posted seems to be fine, i wonder if you can step up the salt to 0.2%? we're normally around this level of salt for qt and if you suspect flukes, which is most likely given the symptoms, 0.2% would be ideal with a possible 0.3% and a double dose of PraziPro. perhaps even a day of fasting followed by some pea feeding incase there is some mild constipation contributing to this.

other than that suggestion, i have nothing to add.

everything you posted seems to be fine, i wonder if you can step up the salt to 0.2%? we're normally around this level of salt for qt and if you suspect flukes, which is most likely given the symptoms, 0.2% would be ideal with a possible 0.3% and a double dose of PraziPro. perhaps even a day of fasting followed by some pea feeding incase there is some mild constipation contributing to this.

other than that suggestion, i have nothing to add.

Thank you! I just wasn't sure when bottom sitting became too much bottom sitting and if it meant a different course of treatment. These are my first fish and I don't feel like i'm qualified to make a decision like that on my own. :no: I have to change the water and add Prazi again on Fri., my schedule would go something like this?

Fri. - w/c, double dose Prazi and .1% salt.

Sat. - .2% salt

Sun. - .3% salt

Does that look about right? Then the water would be changed again the 17th and 18th. They got some green beans this morning, so I'll see if that helps clear her up at all, otherwise i will fast them tomorrow followed by peas/green beans. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. :)

• Supporter

sounds good, i would only double dose the prazipro from 0.2% and 0.3%, prazipro works quite well at 0.1% and 0.2% but seeing as there is some bottom sitting, we can add the double dose from the time you salt to 0.2%, everything else sounds solid to me :)

still keep an eye on the bottomsitter. if nothing changes after the fast and the first few days at 0.2% or if she gets worse in the interim including any visible redness, please post back so we can reassess :)

Hi Stakos, I just wanted to give an update on my little fish. Although Loosi is no longer bottom sitting (an improvement), I am now seeing some strange behavior from both. Loosi (the fantail) is very floaty, almost as though she is bottom heavy and Pinto (the Ryukin) has been showing some fin clamping and seems to have some labored breathing. He is also hanging out near the top which is unlike him. He is usually very active. I am currently at 0.3% salt and double prazi pro. They were fasted on Thursday, fed peas 3x on Fri., fasted Sat. and so far, been fed a breakfast of green bean seeds this morning. Here is a video of their behavior, hopefully it will help!

th_DSCN2302.jpg

Also, I'm not sure whether this is related or unrelated, but I figured I would ask here first and see if it is. Pinto has developed a black spot on his chin that was definitely not there before. I wasn't able to get the greatest picture, but you can see it pretty well in this one:

DSCN2304.jpg

It is much darker and person and seems to have developed over night. I had take some pictures of them Fri. and I went back and it definitely wasn't there. Do you think it is just a normal color change or was it a possible injury that is now healing?

I am due for a water change today, so I guess I will see if that helps. They have pretty much just been hanging out in the corner at the top of the tank unless it's meal time. My ammonia and nitrites are still 0 and my nitrates are at 10.

I am due for a water change today, so I guess I will see if that helps. They have pretty much just been hanging out in the corner at the top of the tank unless it's meal time. My ammonia and nitrites are still 0 and my nitrates are at 10.

• Supporter

I missed watching the vid, will do that in a few hours when I am at the pc again.

Would you bring the salt level down to 0.2%? This may make a difference.

The dark spot, given that it's under the chin may be a sore point from bottom sitting if he was resting on that area at the time. Definitely keep an eye on that spot, but continue with treatments as intended but with salt at 0.2%

Hun are we letting the water sit out so the Ph can go up... ? Sorry cant remember. :(

Hi Koko, I let the water age if I am doing a large water change 60% or more. If I only do 50% I don't because the pH is hardly affected and raises so fast anyway. They started acting this way after a big water change with the raised, matched pH. :( I don't know why.

I missed watching the vid, will do that in a few hours when I am at the pc again.

Would you bring the salt level down to 0.2%? This may make a difference.

The dark spot, given that it's under the chin may be a sore point from bottom sitting if he was resting on that area at the time. Definitely keep an eye on that spot, but continue with treatments as intended but with salt at 0.2%

Hi Stakos,

I hope watching the video will help out. I have a video of their behavior after the water change this morning as well. Pinto seems to be feeling much better, much more active and spending time at all levels of the tank. Loosi is still hovering in her preferred spot near the top of the tank. :( She eats soft veggies fine, but seemed to be having trouble with the pellets this morning - she would keep spitting them out and eventually gave up on eating them. I am scheduled to do another 50% w/c, add prazi and salt to .1% tomorrow. Do you think I should continue with this?

As for the black spot on Pinto; he hasn't done any bottom sitting since I got him, but I've noticed he is developing some black on other parts of him as well -- more in his fins and a few small specks what looks like "under his skin" on his body. So I am thinking this might just be a color change? But is it normal for them to form black? I thought they usually lost black? Sorry for all the questions. I try to do as much searching through the forum as possible, but I still like to get answers for my particular fishy, I hope you don't mind!

The video is taking quite some time, I will upload it as soon as it's done downloading!

• Supporter

ok, i just saw the first video you posted. i think it will benifit your fish if you reduced the current in the tank. you have two different fish, a veiltail kind of and a fantail/ryu..

they're both fighting the current.

my suggestion is to first pinch the airline tubing to the bubble wand, that alone creates a lot of current and should slow things down a little without compromising the filter flow :)

Do you think she is a veiltail-kind? Interesting. I had thought she may have been stunted when I first picked her up because her fins were so much longer than other fish I had seen of her size. But I lowered the airstone bubbles to a very low, fine bubble so hopefully after a good nights rest they will be feeling better! Thank you, Stakos. I am having trouble uploading my video still, but I will update you tomorrow with how they are doing. :)

Hahaha! I think that works, quite well to describe her. ;)

Unfortunately I woke up to her bottom sitting again this morning and she is breathing pretty rapidly as well. She is still having long stringy poop, as well. Pinto is completely fine. Back to his active, piggy self. What can I do for my poor Loosi? :( I just want to see her feel better and be active and happy again. :( I did another 50% water change, added salt to .1% and added Prazi as well.

I don't know what the deal is, but I still couldn't get the video to load. I can try uploading to YouTube if it's important for you to see a video. Just let me know!

• Admin

Im almost inclinded to think, this guy needs a round of Jungle anti-Parasite food... But I want to see what stakos and Alex thinks..... :twocents

How far into the prazi treatment are you? Your fish are very beautiful :)

Hi bodoba, Pinto is on his 5th week of Prazi and Loosi is on her 3rd. And thank you very much. :) I hope Loosi feels better soon. :(

Im almost inclinded to think, this guy needs a round of Jungle anti-Parasite food... But I want to see what stakos and Alex thinks..... :twocents

might not be a bad idea koko :)

will wait to see the vid first. yes, go ahead please, upload to youtube.

Here is the video:

Do you think she is going to be okay? She looks so uncomfortable. Also, do you think the bubbles are turned down enough? I would be more than happy to pick up some of the Jungle food. Where would I find it?

• Supporter

and the green stuff, are they peas? have you softened them by boiling them? they should be soft enough to squish between your fingers. if they aren't soft enough, the fish may not eat them.

empty poop casing can be a few things.

1. stress

2. internal bacteria

3. constipation.

lets try and get some peas into this fish to see if it's constipation. at least this is a 4 or 5 hour journey and if it's not this, we can order the meds. i know JungleAP is somewhat difficult to find in the US now.. lets see what others have to say about where they've found it or if there is an alternative for you to purchase. have a look online whilst you wait for responses.

bubbles are fine hun. please quickly check that strand of something that is coming from the tail end. is that a slime coat strand or an empty poop casing?

and the green stuff, are they peas? have you softened them by boiling them? they should be soft enough to squish between your fingers. if they aren't soft enough, the fish may not eat them.

empty poop casing can be a few things.

1. stress

2. internal bacteria

3. constipation.

lets try and get some peas into this fish to see if it's constipation. at least this is a 4 or 5 hour journey and if it's not this, we can order the meds. i know JungleAP is somewhat difficult to find in the US now.. lets see what others have to say about where they've found it or if there is an alternative for you to purchase. have a look online whilst you wait for responses.

This video was from much earlier this morning, she doesn't have it anymore. But it didn't look like an empty poop casing to me from what I could tell. The green stuff was peas that had been boiled and de-shelled. She doesn't really go after food unless it's dropped directly in front of her face. Pinto came by and ate them later and didn't have any problems with them, so I think they were alright. I can try to put her in a basket and see if she'll eat any. I found a place where I can order some of the food online. Say the word and I'll place the order. :)

• Supporter

i still want to try the peas first. yes, put her in a basket and see if she will eat the peas. then wait a few hours. i will mingle with the mod team and see if you should order the meds.. brb.

Unfortunately I'm sad to say I found Loosi passed away this morning. :( I can't help but feel guilty... I took her out of a place she had lived in for a year because I thought I was doing what was best for her. I appreciate all your help, I hope she is in a better place now. :'(