New Lionhead Goldies Have WhiteSpots...Lionhead,

Hi =)

This is my first post.

I'm pretty new to owning fish and stuff. I had a fantail goldfish (named Kiyoko) for about 5 months at the beginning of the year..kept it in a bowl.. it died after a new fish gave it fin rot and fungus..

But anyway.

I now have a 16litre tank. I have a black moor. I had another but it died of stress and wouldnt eat.

BUT> Now I have recently bought two new fish, lionheads, 2 days ago. And I've noticed now that they both have little white spots. The one lionhead has one on his tail that I can see so far and two close together on his head on the red growth/lump, they look kinda cottony but I'm concerned. The other lionhead has the same thing. I NEED TREATMENT HELP =(.. The black moor is healthy though.

I put a tablespoon of course salt in already about an hour ago, and a couple drops of this solution called STOP FUNGUS (8 drops. but it says 4 drops per 4 litres) in just in case (didn't actually work for my last fish) two days ago .

My lionheads, the one is quite big, maybe 2-3 inches and the other i little smaller maybe 1-2 and a half inches. I do a 50% water change weekly in general. I use water conditioner, I dont have it with me at the moment but it's a blue liquid that disappears as soon as it's put in the water. I have a basic water filter, can't remember the name sorry.. I last did the water change not this week but the last thursday before that because i'm not sure if i should wait till this thursday to clean it cause of the new fish.

I feed my fish once a day with general goldfish flakes about half a tablespoon and occasionally a boiled pea or two..

I need as much help and info as possible, I've become very interested in having fish now and i'd hate to lose these ones.. =( HEEELPP???

Hello,

Could you please answer these questions

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

• * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Also, upload pics of these spots, please. Thanks

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - I dunno =( I don't have the test kit for any of these...I'm sorry..
  • * Nitrite Level - X
  • * Nitrate level - X
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - X
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - X
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - X
  • * Water temperature? - I'm not sure here either..It's winter here and my room gets colder than out side which is usually around 16C..so the water temp in the tank is around 14-18? I dont have a heater for them yet..I use a regular heater that I put next to the tank for the time being....
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - We don't really use gallons here so I'm not sure but it is 16 Litres (L = 30 cm. B = 23cm H = 23.5 cm) I got it about two months ago
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Name - Elite. Very basic filter. Around 3 - 4 inches.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? - Once a week. 25% water change. (keep 25% of the old water and the rest is new water)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - Monday. Water change = The same answer as above in ()'s

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 3 - A black moor - 2"s head to tip of the tail. 2 lionheads. one is bigger, about 2- 3.5 "s and the other smaller is 2.5"s (BTW the smaller lionhead, he doesnt look too happy I noticed just today, he sits at the bottom of the tank by a little cave thing, his fins aren't clamped or down at all, he looks fine and still eats like a pig at feeding time etc but he just sits there now and occasionally swims around with the others or when i show up infront of him =/...)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - It's a blue liquid in a yellow bottle that kills chorine and harmful metals etc. I can't remember the brand right now because i'm not near my room or the tank..
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Regular goldfish flakes once a day. Just about a teaspoon.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - The two lionheads I bought last friday. I had the black moor two weeks before them.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - Yes. I went to the pet store and told the girl there the problem as well that the lionheads have white spot and she gave me a bottle called ANTI ICK, It's a blue concentrated liquid in a yellow bottle (not the same liquid as in the previous question above. ) .. she said the white spot was caused by the cold. Please let me know if she is right and if you could tell me any other information, it would really be appreciated.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) - Well I had a fantail (Kiyoko )at the beginning of the year, she was in just a regular bowl not a tank and it didnt have a filter or anything cuz she was my first fish..she was actually perfectly find and i had her for 5 months. then i decided to get her a friend and i got another fantail from the same petstore and tank that i got her from, and i got the 16 litre tank a few days later and put them in it. I noticed when i brought the new one back he had like a bug thing on his tail, like a disc shaped green thing, i took it off immediately..Suddenly Kiyoko got like a white smooth/velvety fungus on her body next to her dorsal fin and spread around that area..her fins were clamped and she wouldnt swim, just sat in a cave all day..so did the other fish who looked perfectly fine, he kept nipping Kiyoko where the fungus was and soon he just sat next to her in the cave for like a week or two, still looking healthy..then he wouldnt eat and didnt swim and just let the water float him around and a few hours later he died. Kiyoko then got fin rot, I bought some stuff called STOP FUNGUS that is meant to stop fungus andfin rot..didnt work and the fin rot got worse and worse..eventually I just put her out of her misery cuz her dorsal fin was completely gone and her tail was going too..so I did the best thing.. Then.. 3 days later after cleaning everything in the tank I got the black moor, 2 of them, the smaller one was too stressed out and wouldnt swim or eat, he just floated from day one..and then died.. the other black moor is perfectly fine still.. then now as you know i got the two lionheads..
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - well know that i found the two lionheads have whitespot, I put in a table spoon of course salt on Sunday. and on Monday I bought that ANTI ICH medication. It says I put put it in the water everyday until the whitespot is gone. I put in 3ml of it because the dosage says a capful (25ml )for every 60 litres so i worked it out for my tank..
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - there isnt anything on my black moor, he is just changing colour i noticed, like silver scales here and there. or atleast that's what the girl inthe pet store told me. But on the lion heads..ok, the bigger one, he's orange all over he has two little whitespots close together on the lumpy bubble on his head, they looked cottony almost and a little stand was trailing behind, the i noticed one like it,very small on the bottom of his tailfin, and one spot that looks like a grain of salt on his dorsal fin. Pretty much the exact same thing for my other lionhead, although the white cottony spots on his lumpy bubble thing on his head has two on either side. Bloody streaks? uhm..well the smaller lionhead is white with a red bubble lump..i dunno if it's just natural cuz he's white and his fins are transparent but on his tail fins from the base to top on the sides have like red streaks? is that just like his veins or is it something to be concerned about??
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - LikeI said before, the white lionhead sits at the bottom by the cave now, he eats perfectly fine..I only noticed this today so i can't really give a full analysis of his behaviour as yet..

As for the pictues..it's a little difficult without the fish being blurred cuz well..they swim =/..and the water is a little greenish because of the treatment..but i will try to take some pics ASAP.. But I hope the rest of the info is enough for anyone who can help me with this or give me any other helpfuol info about Goldfish diseases and advice for it...? =)..Sorry about not knowing the ammonia and nitrate levels etc.. My parents aren't actually very happy that I keep fish because they say buying stuff for them is too expensive..but i will try to geet test kits and a heater for my fish..also i have a siamse fighter in a separate bowl, he's fine though. =)

Thank you for being so detailed in your explanation and taking the time to fill out the form, it helps the community to pinpoint some issues.

The major one I can notice for the time being is the housing situation. 16L will not house a single goldfish let alone a larger quantity. 20 US gals (approx 80L) for the first fish and 10 US gals (40 L) for each fish after that. You seem to be on good rapport with the petsore. I would try to get a 40L or larger tank and keep one of your fish and rehome the rest.

Since finances are tight right now, focussing on keeping one goldfish will be infinitely cheaper than trying to keep the community you currently have.

The rest of the issues will have to be addressed as well. Try to provide the name of the company on the bottles you are using and the ingredients on the coarse salt you are using. Taking pictures after feeding tends to help as they will settle down with a full belly. A picture of the full set up will help us discover if there are any more problems.

Having a tank full of sick fish is no fun, thank you very much for caring about your fish and wanting the best for them :)