my fantail has developed a red mouth

• Supporter

hello, i am sorry to hear that your fish is unwell, can you provide the answers to all the questions in the white box above and provide a few pics of the problem? we will be able to assist you more accurately once we receive the information requested.

Tested the water at PetCo andPH and Ammonium were fine. Test done on 3 days ago. 20 gallon tank with 4 fish 2 fantail 1 common and 1 shubkin Ruyiken. its a brank new tank that has been running for 2 weeks. No water change yet. The filter is a Tetra Whisper 115 volts and 60Hz. We feed once in the morning Tetra pellets and we do the 5 min rule. Picture to follow once Ican get it uploaded

• Supporter

can you tell me what the values of "fine" in numbers are? this information is super critical to the treatment methods that will be available to help treat your fish. without the actual numbers, we really can't move forward.

sry that was my dad he does'nt 100% get forums :banned2: so im sry that I couldnt get pics on this its hard :thud. Well my dad was right with all the facts and names he put on up there.(please excuse him for his mistakes in the spelling) Now the bigger problem is that he is not eating when I fed the other goldies and him and hes struggling to move very fast. So I would be so greatful if you could tell me whats wrong:)

(P.S. fine means perfect in this matter)

Edited by Cute and Crazy fish

• Supporter

i am sorry, but if you said to a doctor, i think it hurts here, they would not be "fine" with just writing you a prescription. a fish is a living creature and earns the same respect. you are it's owner, we're not wanting to make matters worse for it by second guessing.

until you can answer ALL the questions as asked above with ACTUAL values, all i can suggest is doing as many water changes as possible.

I'm sorry hun but with out the info above we can hardly guess what the issue is,my first guess would be that your tank is not cycled and your overstocked :( but with more info we can try to help point you in the right direction to help you and your fish :)

I´m so sorry about your fish. I think what everyone is trying to say is that you have too many fish in the tank. It probably doesn´t seem like it and the people at the fish store don´t always say so but the chemicals from the fish build up very fast in a small tank. It´s not your fault - you didn´t know.

Now you want to figure out how to save the rest of your fish. You will probably want to take the shubunkin and the comet back to the store and keep the fantail. My son is just a little older than you and we have 1 oranda in a tank about your size. You would´nt believe how big and how pretty he has gotten! Even though he is an only fish, we change the water pretty often - 50% one week, 95% the next. You can do that too and have a good fish friend.

If you take a picture of your whole tank, people here who know more than I do can help suggest ways to make your fish happy. Again, I´m really sorry. Find a nice place in your yard to bury him and then think about what you can do tomorrow to help the others.

I'm so sorry. :(

I would definitely do two 75% back-to-back water changes ASAP to get the levels off ammonia down so your other fish survive. Since your tank is new, it is not "cycled". This means your filter has not had a chance to be colonized by beneficial bacteria that remove ammonia and nitrite from the water. Since your tank is not cyceld, I would plan on doing at least 50% - 75% water changes everyday to make sure the levels stay safe. You should also buy a test kit so that you can test your water yourself and make sure your levels are in the safe range. The API Master Test Kit is great, and you can usually find it on Amazon.com for under $20.00.

After you do two back-to-back 75% water changes to lower the level of ammonia in your tank, I would read the following articles on basic goldfish care:

http://www.kokosgold....com/cycle.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/care.html

Your tank is big enough for one goldfish, so I would also recommend you keep your fantail and return the remaining two. The other two are considered pond fish, and will both grow WAY too big for your tank. While your fantail may be small right now, he will grow very fast and will soon be more than enough fish for your 20 gallon tank.

Let us know what other questions you have after reading the articles I linked, and we will all do our best to help.

Good luck!

Edited by Ms.Jenny

Before we make suggestions of big water changes, we need to know tap and tank pH. Otherwise, there could be disastrous consequences. In the absence of any water parameters, the ONLY thing you should suggest is 10% WCs at every 2 hours at the most.

Could you please tell us your water parameters for the tank, and for your tap water?

Alex is right. :(

Without water parameters, there honestly isn't much you can do to treat any ailment. Having a good test kit is #1 in keeping healthy fish.

I'm sorry about your fish and I hope we can get you on the right track.

The petco person makes me mad. After his death we got a tester,amonia reduce pellet thingys and, stress relevier. Also, guess what it said on the tester? Ammonia:Dangerous Stress:deadly and, Water: harsh. Those petco people are not cool! :no: Also we did a 25% water change,put the stress reliver in and the ammonia reduce thing all went to normal and safe. :krazy: (P.S. Im happy my 6 month old common type is happy and healthy just like the others!)

Edited by Cute and Crazy fish