55gallon saltwater

egregious

Hi guys,

The new fish store in town talked me into going salt water on my 3rd tank which is 55 gallon. They're teaching me a bunch of stuff and I'm buying all the rocks and fish there. I'm glad to support a local place instead of a petco/petsmart where 75% of the money spent leaves my area, even if it's a little more expensive for a few items.

Any other salt tank people have some quick tips I might not have run across? Or can anyone recommend a "show fish"? I plan to have 1 "show fish" that gets maybe 6-8" that is friendly. They had some at the store but I forget the species, it came right up to everyone just like goldfish do. I'll probably get 4 or 5 other smaller fish also, and of course some neato corals!

Thanks,

Thomas

I know a enough to know they are very expensive to set up and it well be a few months before you can even put fish in the tank.

Can't wait to see pictures.

• Admin

Are you going a Reef tank or Fish only tank?

Taking your time is the key to SW tanks. You cant rush it at all, if you do it will cost you.

Stay away from things like anemones, they are very very hard to take care of and will melt in your tank :o

• Admin

Just make sure you get a Protein Skimmer, very important. If you are doing reef, be very patient and let the live rock cure 100% before adding the fish..

Yes yes and also make sure if you are getting live rock. Look at the rocks see if there is Bristle worms living in there. Trust me there is horror in having them in the tank... :(

just put in 70 pounds of live rock. they were already cured and have good stuff living on them. came right out of the cycled tanks! it was 5 bucks a pound after the thomas discount, so like $450 i think it was after tax. i just uploaded 12 pictures, linking the ones of the saltwater tank here and i'll put everything in the other forum of goldfish photos =)

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

... and according to research and advice given to me by friends that i didn't even know have saltwater tanks via facebook, i'm only getting "LPS" corals not "SPS" corals for my setup.

LPS means large polyp stony, SPS is small polyp stony

The 4 types of corals are LPS, SPS, Soft, and Zoanthids.

SPS requires high light levels which I don't plan to upgrade above dual corallife 4 foot T5 (1x10k daylight high output and 1x blue actinic high output). And they (SPS) are the most fragile.

I am still studying the Soft corals and Zoanthid corals to see if they will work for me.

The cool thing about cycling a saltwater tank is you don't have to add fish or ammonia. The live rock will have some (~10%) dieoff when being added to a new tank that isn't cycled completely, and that dieoff will feed the cycle. I was given filter floss that is from the filter of a proven cycled awesome tank by a friend that should really jumpstart it in my dual aquaclear 70's. also i used 40 pounds of "live sand" that already has bacteria and 20 pounds of tahitian moon sand instand aquarium caribsea stuff. The combination of the two looks really nice, like a salt and pepper kind of substrate!

Just make sure you get a Protein Skimmer, very important. If you are doing reef, be very patient and let the live rock cure 100% before adding the fish..

Will do, have 2 filters and 2 powerheads so water movement is phenomenal. looking for an external proten skimmer now^

Do you plan to add corals? Lighting is important regarding to corals. Metal Hailade for corals. Depending on the corals you plan to get will determine the wattage you need.

Do you plan to add corals? Lighting is important regarding to corals. Metal Hailade for corals. Depending on the corals you plan to get will determine the wattage you need.

yes, i got this:

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-T-5-Fixture/I/CoraLife-High-Output-T5-Lamp-Fixtures.aspx

2 watts per gallon. half the wattage is 10k daylight, the other half is 420 nm blue actinic. both are high output.

i know i can get LPS corals ( http://JustMyReef.com/livestock/corals-lps/ )

i don't have enough light for SPS corals ( http://JustMyReef.com/livestock/corals-sps/ )

some species of soft corals will work for me but are higher maintenance ( http://JustMyReef.com/livestock/corals-soft-corals/ )

zoanthids are awesome and hardy, but you have to wear gloves when you handle them because they can poison you. but they love nitrates and really help the ecosystem. (http://JustMyReef.com/livestock/corals-zoanthids/ )

do you have any specific advice for coral species based on my lighting?

• Admin

Good so far.... Coralife Compact lights are great. I had that on my 45 gallon SW tank with Mushrooms, Polyps and Ricordia's :)

I did have some Pulsing Xenia's but my Ricordia's got to close and melted them.. So be careful of which ones you put together. :(

Have you gotten a test kit? Im just curious of the numbers :thumb:

i just have nitrate/nitrite/ph/ammonia test kits, but i'm gona let it sit for a few weeks to cycle before i start testing.

from what i understand (still learning) i have to test for phosphate and get a phosphate buffer in a filter bag or something, not sure what else i need to test for...

and i still need a protein skimmer which will be soon.

Sounds like your tank is near the same as mine, same gallons and same amount of liverock and everything! Also the thing that was friendly sounds like a chromis? If you want them I recommend the blue reef chromis, stunning colouration on them!

For a larger 'show' fish me and my parent are still trying to find that 'one' fish ourselves. Have you looked into reef safe wrasses? We have a stunning labouti wrasse in our tank and he's about 4-5 inches I think? He's lovely to look at, peaceful and really active! We also just put a lemon peel angel in and her colouration is amazingly stunning, however these are reef safe with caution, which I must say for most angelfish seems to be the case.

• Admin

Sounds like your tank is near the same as mine, same gallons and same amount of liverock and everything! Also the thing that was friendly sounds like a chromis? If you want them I recommend the blue reef chromis, stunning colouration on them!

For a larger 'show' fish me and my parent are still trying to find that 'one' fish ourselves. Have you looked into reef safe wrasses? We have a stunning labouti wrasse in our tank and he's about 4-5 inches I think? He's lovely to look at, peaceful and really active! We also just put a lemon peel angel in and her colouration is amazingly stunning, however these are reef safe with caution, which I must say for most angelfish seems to be the case.

they said it was a <something> tang. based on google image search it looks similar to a naso tang but i don't think that was right. grey mostly. was about 8" long and they said he was 7 years old and would get as big as 2 foot! so i can't get that species, too big. but i'll check out the fish you mentioned =) thanks!

cool, thanks =)

they said it was a <something> tang. based on google image search it looks similar to a naso tang but i don't think that was right. grey mostly. was about 8" long and they said he was 7 years old and would get as big as 2 foot! so i can't get that species, too big. but i'll check out the fish you mentioned =) thanks!

cool, thanks =)

Hmm my assumption about him would be a powder blue or brown or it may have been a blonde naso? I'm not sure. Tangs I find need loads and loads of space, when they stress they get ick really easy!

i think i'm gonna get 2 clownfish, 1 hawkfish, a couple gobies, 1 damsel, and a clean up shrimp/whatever crew. and of course corals. i have a list in the car just forgot to bring it inside, might have 1 more thing on it.

apparently clownfish get up to 5 inches, and the hawkfish are freakin hilarious!

FlameHawkfish3.jpg

amblyeleotris-fasciata.jpg

YellowtailDamsel.jpg

Clownfish4.jpg

SixLineWrasse.jpg

gonna get 1 of each of those possibly only 2 clownfish. the one i forgot was a Wrass (reef safe, not all are)

and there are a bunch of types of gobies i might get like 3 gobies.

gobies

and evidently it takes YEARS for a tang to get over 8 inches, so i might get a tang and trade it in on a baby tang when he gets big!

I love hawkfish, pretty amusing to watch them perch.

With that wrasse, I'd definitely make it the last one you put in so the others are established, I've heard they're very unwelcoming to newer fish.

What sort of goby are you looking at? My research said they generally should be in pairs at most though I've seen people have three in a tank. I like the firefish but they're really shy, I didn't see mine in my 20gal for about 4 months.

I've heard the yellow eyed tang should be okay in a 55 gallon and it's very peaceful, not sure how hard they are to get though (I've never seen one in the local stores, though they'll only get in stock what people buy, but they'll happily get whatever you want if you ask and it's available from the supplier)

yellow eye tang you can get at petco evidently but i'm ordering one through the new local store

i like the watchman gobies, they form symbiotic relationships with tiger pistol shrimp where they share the same hole. there is a yellow one, a striped one, one with dots, etc.

i learned that wrasse and hawkfish eat invertebrates so i'll probably not get either of those =(

so it's 1 yellow eye tang, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 goby, 1 blenny. and shrimp/crabs! that's where i'm at now...

You where told wrasse eat invertebrates? I've heard it's something like 1 in 50 or such that does that but obviously any wrasse can still be a risk at that number. My wrasse loves to get cleaned by my shrimp and stuff, I suppose it's one of those things that ranges. (like angels, some will decimate your coral and some wont be interested) Seeing my wrasse is a complete sweet heart despite being a type a few people have had issues with (lebouti wrasse) and never caused me trouble.

You looking at the true/false percula clowns in the typical orange or some of the other colours? The black and whites are surprisingly striking against your corals and such though I think it's down to preference.

I like the watchmen gobies, lovely colours and shades on them, : D

i am hoping that it will work to get 1 black/white clown and 1 orange/white clown of the same type. not sure if that's allowed. from what i read i guess there's 2 kinds of wrasse. i think 6 stripes are the agressive ones. today at the store they had some other kind of wrasse that seemed to school together that was cool.

they had this awesome thing called lungfish, i wanna look up what they can go with and i hope i can get 1 to 3 of them!