How often do goldfish lose there tooth

So Castor lost another tooth :yikes I am not sure if it is because he is on or growth spurt or what. He lost the first one about a week ago. Is it normal for them to lose teeth weekly?

I don't know the technical answer to this question but I'll say that mine definitely seem to lose some teeth every week. I typically see at least a couple every time I do a water change

Well that makes me feel better other people seem to see them weekly. At first I thought I might need to get Castor fishy dentures :blink:

That's interesting :) I hope you don't mind me asking, Karen, but does anyone know how big they are? I have been trying to find one in my tank, but I can't see any! :( is it because my guys are small?

That's interesting :) I hope you don't mind me asking, Karen, but does anyone know how big they are? I have been trying to find one in my tank, but I can't see any! :( is it because my guys are small?

Castors teeth are about half the size of a grain of rice. His are pretty tiny lol.

Well, someone needs to lay their collection on a dark cloth or something & post a picture!! Cause IF I have seen one I didn't know it..........OR A L L my fish are TOOTHLESS.......or they drop into the gravel & get sucked up during weekly water changes!

Really I have had fish for longer than THAT & I, too, have never seen one single tooth!!!!! And I STILL haven't seen a PICTURE of one!!!

Here's pics and words from Sakura:

So I've been seeing little white things at the tank bottom lately that are impossibly to siphon out because they're heavy. I didn't know what they were, but I just pulled them out of the tank today to look at them closer because I realized they're probably teeth. And they are! Little tiny goldfish teeth! It's so awesome!

Here's an informational article about goldfish, and it includes a nice illustration of the teeth.

http://fl.biology.us...us_auratus.html

Here's the illustration in case you don't want to read the link:

carp_id_fig_12.jpg

And here's the photos of the teeth I found!

m082.jpg

m081.jpg

m080.jpg

m083.jpg

m084.jpg

This is the link to the thread:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/87692-goldfish-teeth/page__hl__goldish+teeth__fromsearch__1

I wonder how many they have at one time, I seem to find at least 4 in my tank every week and I only have 2 fish. I started collecting mine too, I think they are so cool! I dont know why I am saving them but they never seize to amaze me. Haha, I probably have at least 25 now. Here is a pic I took one time.... They definitely vary in size

IMAG0356.jpg

Hoooo-lleeeee toleeedoooooo

I never knew goldfish have TEETH

WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

I HAVE NOT BEEN INFORMED OF THIS

I've never found a tooth before. My 2 goldies (Pearlscale and Black Moor) have been living in their big tank for....a month now??? and today I just did a 50% change so I doubt if I look now I'll find any teeth.

WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO GOLDIES HAVE TEETH?

When they fall out do they shoot out of the fish's mouths or do they just drop? :duckk:

I've never heard of goldfish teeth though...

I'll keep searching my tank anyway :goldfish:

• Admin

Well alot of creatures us the teeth to break there food. Lucky goldfish keep them in the back of there mouth. They cant really bit you, they can suck at you :lol and leave red marks if they are big enough.

They will fall out just like sharks teeth, regrowing as they fall out. :thumb:

• Admin

*light bulb goes on*

So THAT'S what that is on the bottom of my tank that my Python isn't strong enough to suck up? Cool. Now I know!!

Thanks for asking. Great question! :)

One cool thing about a bare bottom tank :thumb: