Sign in to follow this  
Cj408

Used tank help

So I recently bought a 40 gallon tank off craigslist for $15. I had two small goldfish in a ten gallon and was hoping to give them a bigger home. Anyways, I thought $15 was a pretty good deal until I got home and started cleaning it. The black paint on the frame began peeling off so i spent hours scraping it all off and the frame is actually brown, which i dont really like.

Also, half the tank looks really foggy on the glass. I tried spraying it down with hot water, soaking it in vinegar/baking soda, and scrubbing the hell out of it, but its just not coming off?! Is there any way to make it look new again?? I've literally spent two days trying to clean this thing up!

My mother always soaked cloudy glass vases in ammonia/water - sometimes for a number of days.

Is the 'cloudy' hard water stains? I got rid of my hard water stains on my craigslist 100gal with an armandhammer magic eraser. c:

Vinegar never worked for me.

Sorry to hear about it being brown, but you can always paint it yourself at a later time.

Have you filled it with water to make sure it holds? checked for bowing?

Yea I think it's hard water stains. At this point I feel like just reselling it and try to buy a new one. Definitely not worth all the work/time trying to clean and repaint it.

I can´t see anything on the link but I think you got a good deal on the tank and it would be a shame to toss it if it can be saved. Some internet sites seem to recommend something called Bar Keepers Friend.

I just took a picture of it

th_IMAG0805.jpg

I'm on my phone so I can't see if you're in the US, but if you are petco is having their dollar per gallon sale right now. You could sell this tank and put the money toward a 40.00 40 gallon :)

I had the same problem with a 29 gal that I only paid $2 for. (I also had to reseal it) I wasn't having any luck and finally got it off by spraying with vinegar and scrapping with a flat bladed scraper. Was very easy to take off after I figured it out. The tank turned out great. I sprayed one side while working on another, respraying as I started on it. If you can stand the smell, I used straight, undiluted vinegar, doing it outside on the deck so I could still breathe. lol

I think $15 is a great deal and those spots of cloudiness should come off. I would soak it in water for 24 hours, then empty the tank and spray with straight vinegar and add a touch of ammonia. Then as mentioned above, take a flat blade scraper and go at it. It shouldn't take too long and will be well worth the money you save.

The brown can always be repainted too. Just buy a chip resistant black paint :)

If you really want to get read of hard water stains us CLR but you will have to rinse rinse rinse it out.

I got a 46 gallon bow front from craigslist a couple weeks ago which had hard water stains on the inside, outside and completely covering the glass hood both top and bottom. I don't know how any light passed through it when they were still using it. I used full strength vinegar with a little baking soda and a scraper used to scrape algae off. Some spots took a little more elbow grease then others but it did eventually all come off. My trim is also the fake wook look instead of the black but mine is the darker brown. I was going to use some sort of paint to cover it up but I didn't know what would be safe so it is what is it now since I already put my fish in it.

You shouldn't give up on it. xD It was a really good deal. Just put some elbow grease into it, you can do it!

Haha I guess ill see what I can do. Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it.

Ok I give up! The tank wins. I think its just permanently stained :/ I'm super frustrated and my whole house smells like vinegar :(

th_IMAG0812.jpg

Try CLR http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.htm just have to rinse it out really good. then let it dry for a few days they use for hardwater stains.

Edited by rdoyle225

Did you try letting it soak in a vinegar and water solution for 24 hours?

@vwashbur, yea I did it with just the vinegar itself. I also tried it with baking soda and rubbing it with lemon but it didn't even touch the stains :(

@rdoyle225, I don't think I want to risk it with the clr lol. I also don't want to spend anymore money on this thing if I'm not sure it'll work.

That's too bad. :( Keep watching. Another deal will come along.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

I kniw some one that used it in one of there old tank. you jiust have to rinces it well and get it dry.