Sign in to follow this  
Sharkbait3

PRO-GOLD

My ordered pro-gold came in the mail today~~gave some to Caldwell and Febber, and they devoured it !! So nice to see them enjoy it................my mom and sisters don't understand that I only want to feed them what is best........costly ? yes, but it's worth it considering that they will most likely live for a LONG TIME (fins crossed). Gone are the days of fish bowls and flake food, Here's to the best for the goldies !! :carrot: :carrot:

They will grow up BIG and :clapping: hun.

I just love that stuff :thumb: So do my Goldies

I have not bought any in a while. Money got tight and so I stopped. Think Ill get me some soon as I finish up what I have.

Edited by Hidr

so happy today~~Alex hipped me to gel food at ted's showroom.......Respashy (I think). Check out his web site..........it's so cool :clapping:

Lucky. I'm stuck with aqueon granules for the moment. Not that bad, but no progold.

Castor loves his pro-gold!!! I just gave some to my friend so her goldies can experience the greatness of pro-gold :D

Castor loves his pro-gold!!! I just gave some to my friend so her goldies can experience the greatness of pro-gold :D

I've tried basically every type of pellet food I can get my hands on, including Saki Hikari, Dainichi, Japan Ranchu Lord, NLS, Omega One, and the more common ones, and Pro-Gold is the best of the bunch in terms of growth and coloration. :)

What a coincidence, mine just came in the mail to :happydance My golds seemed to like it, even the corys in the tank loved them

I have tried PG a few times,and a few of my fish have gotten floaty-but I keep reading SUCH rave reviews from you all that I am thinking of giving it another shot. I am wondering if possibly 2 smaller meals instead of 1 larger meal will make a difference? :hmm The last big bag I bought I ended up leaving out on my dining room table after I had dc'd it-and either some rats or mice found it delicious :druel

I have tried PG a few times,and a few of my fish have gotten floaty-but I keep reading SUCH rave reviews from you all that I am thinking of giving it another shot. I am wondering if possibly 2 smaller meals instead of 1 larger meal will make a difference? :hmm The last big bag I bought I ended up leaving out on my dining room table after I had dc'd it-and either some rats or mice found it delicious :druel

Susan, the key with ALL pellet foods is that you cannot feed them in huge amounts and in isolation. This is because there are starchy fillers in the food, and a goldfish diet really needs its fair share of plant matters. So, in a day, if you are to include Pro-Gold, make sure they also have at least one other meal that is some sort of veggies.

Right now, for the 4 smaller ones in the 55, I feed them 2 meals of Pro-Gold to 1 meal of Repashy soilent green. These are HUGE meals, and they have no issue whatsoever with floatiness, despite being 3 telescopes and 1 oranda. Every 2-3 days I substitute 1 of the Pro-Gold meals for frozen blood worms. Once weekly or so, I go with canned unsalted green beans and/or well-cooked baby spinach. I used to do the veggies daily, but the soilent green more than satisfies the daily plant requirements.

In the 100g, where there are all bigger fish, I do only 1 modest meal of Pro-Gold and one not so modest meal of soilent Green. They also get the occasional snack of frozen blood worms, and like the 55g, this tank gets weekly green beans and spinach. I have not had any issues with floatiness in quite a long time.

In my tubs, I do only soilent green, since some of these guys are more prone to being floaty to begin with.

So Alex,do you no longer make any gel food?

So Alex,do you no longer make any gel food?

Not since I found Repashy soilent green. It's one of Allen Repashy's new gel food mix for fish, and it's fantastic. I'll be doing a review of this within the week.

I will never make my own gel food again. I am that impressed with this stuff. It's easy to make, and if I really want to add other things to the mix, it's easily done :)

OMG,I just bought a bunch of fresh veges and salmon last Tuesday :doh11: Do you mix it? Do you/can you add your own things-seafood,etc.,to it?

Well, you can make your final batch of gel food! :rofl

Don't even tell me about all the stuff for fish gel food. I still have tons left, and won't be using any :rofl

The Repashy gel food is extremely simple. You measure out 1 part of powder to 3 parts of boiling water and mix well. As the mixture cools, it solidifies beautifully and rather quickly, actually. I was thinking that when I need to make medicated food, I'll just add meds to this, and if I want more protein, I'll either add thawed frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc. to it. However, I don't have any plans to add more. The reason why I like the mix so much is that it already a pretty excellent mix and does not need tinkering :)

That sounds great! May I ask why you get the Soilent Green as opposed to other formulas? What improvements have you seen with it? I mean no floatiness is a biggie, but any others? Apart from not having to cook that mess?

That sounds great! May I ask why you get the Soilent Green as opposed to other formulas? What improvements have you seen with it? I mean no floatiness is a biggie, but any others? Apart from not having to cook that mess?

Because that's the formula that I think is most appropriate for goldfish, who eat a lot of plants, diatoms, and small arthropods, worms, etc. I also ordered the Community Plus and the Spawn & Grow mix, to add variety, but it's the soilent green that is the most interesting.

I think for you, with already grown fish, the soilent green is the mix that makes the most sense.

I'll address all of this again when I write I review. I just made another batch just now, but did not take pics.

I still have some small guys in other tanks,and actually some of my veils are youngsters-which is the Spawn and Growth formula? I don't see mentioned as such on the main page.

Susan, if you are interested, would you mind either waiting until I have my review posted, or PM me for now? I don't want to take away from the OP's main point, which is the celebration of the receipt of the uber-fantastic Pro-Gold.

The point I don't want lost in all of the later discussions about Repashy gels is that Pro-Gold remains an awesome food to feed. I have no plans to discontinue using this excellent product at any time :D

Sharkbait, please let us know how Caldwell & Febber enjoy the PG; I suspect they will love it! :)

Sorry-she is the 1 that mentioned the Rapashy,but I def. see your point. And in keeping w/ that-I think I will still give PG another try soon :) Thanks for all the info,guys......

Haha. I wasn't blaming you. I talked quite a bit about it too, and then realized we were getting really off topic! :o

I took all my pellets and made a pellet mix to go along with greens and fresh foods. It has two different sizes of omega one sinking, spirulina pellets, and progold. I'm going to add some more brands when i get the time to research them more. They seem to enjoy the variety but progold is by far their favorite.

I'm curious about pro-gold......i just want them to have quality food pellets no msg no ash no colourings etc

Work is sending my OH to Washington USA soon, so i might ask him to get some.........get a sample or a big bag?

Although they initially loved the omega ones pellets, ended up giving them floaty issues......then the purple hakari bag ended up staining the redcaps white bits

to get or not to get lol

dnalex

You don't have to fear any repercussions from Sharkbait about going off topic....she's used to it. I know, I am her Hubbers. I go off topic ALL the time...simply because I have Attention Deficient Disorder or something like that she says.....She can ask me about the weather and I will start telling her that it is hot and partly cloudy and that will lead to me telling her about the time I saw a cloud shaped like a walrus and that will lead me to telling a story about the time my mustache was really bushy and that will lead me to telling her that since it is so hot, we might want to water our bushes and plants. Simple direct anwers are not my cup of tea. Speaking of tea, I had a reallly good cup of Earl Grey the other morning while I was eating breakfast...and speaking of breakfast, did you know that first tme Sharkbait made me breakfast she burnt the toast and bacon? And speaking of bacon, you should have seen how Caldwell and Febbers pigged down on the Pro Gold.

I might just have to sneak some of it to see how my fish like it. Be a good addition to their diets.

And speaking of diets, I ate so much yesterday that I need to go on one. And speaking of one, did you know that one is the loneliest number.

Tim

LOL. Well, I thank Sharkbait for her indulgence, but I also don't want Koko to use the Koko-stick on me! :P

so happy today~~Alex hipped me to gel food at ted's showroom.......Respashy (I think). Check out his web site..........it's so cool :clapping:

i've just checked this out......and ordered some........it sets well from what i can see..............expensive though :thud ,they better eat every morsel, otherwise its money into the filter......... i need money trees........