Sign in to follow this  
brittdee

Bare bottom tank

Hey you guys!

I've been a goldfish owner for just about 6 months now ( so forgive me if I don't know tons :/ ) and I initially had about an inch of medium sized gravel but I had trouble keeping the ammonia levels down. Also I got super nervous when my oranda would sift through the gravel; don't want the little guy to choke.

Now I have about 10 larger rocks along the bottom but I was wondering how to make a bare bottom tank look less simple.

Also I just put in a Top Fin bubble wall in my tank to add to the "look" and to help with oxygenation I guess.

Barebottom tanks will inherently have a more streamlined look than those with gravel, but there are a few things you can do. Do you have any plants in your tank yet? If you prefer fake plants, you can silicone them to rocks and things (use aquarium safe silicone and allow it to cure sufficiently) or you can use little pots of gravel to anchor plants in. If you want real plants, anubias and java fern both grow best when tied to rocks rather than planted in substrate, so they are good options. You can also use the little pots method for planting real plants, if you'd like.

Another nice thing I've seen around here is the use of a nice, big sculptural item as a focal point for the tank. This can be an aquarium decoration (fill it or run a bubbler through it if it's hollow) or a largeish rock or glass sculpture, for instance.

There are lots of neat barebottom tanks around here; I definitely recommend poking around the planted and non-planted tank pictures sections for ideas as well. :)

Thanks Courtney ! I appreciate the response. I think I'm going to try to assemble two potted plants and see how that looks

Sounds like a plan! Post some pictures when it's done if you can; we'd love to see your setup. :D

Great post, Courtney. :)

One other option is to tie anubias, java fern or moss to a piece of driftwood. Eventually, the plant will root to the piece, and with the right driftwood, you can have a nice big piece of greenery that's easy to move and clean.

I agree, live plants will add a lot to your set up. :)

EDIT: You can tie plants (anubias and java fern) to your rocks as well if you don't want driftwood. If you do decide to try driftwood make sure you choose a piece that is not hollow and does not have any hollow spots :) It should be solid. Hollow logs or ornaments can breed nasty bacteria that can make your fish sick.

To make my barebottom less boring I added a very thin layer of sand. However, this isn't a goldfish tank, so I'm not sure how well it would do with being rooted around in, but you never know. I also added some larger rocks to accent. Here are some pics to help with ideas if you want (just click the arrow that takes you to the previous pics. I tried to post the IMG codes, but my phone disapproves....) :)

http://s344.photobucket.com/albums/p321/Akari_32/fishlore/?action=view&current=IMG_0876.jpg

Thanks Akari_32, your tank looks so much more interesting than mine does now. I think I'm going to try to put some large rocks in too.

I was wondering about the idea of tying the plants to rocks. Can the rocks be smooth, or will it only work with porous rocks like lava?

My anubias are tied to smooth rocks with fishing line. The plant will probably not be able to attach to a smooth rock (mine haven't after over a year), but the fishing line is invisible so you can just leave them tied :)

Thanks tithra! I'll get some fishing line, that makes sense. My sister was laughing at me while I tied them up with floss :P

Thanks Akari_32, your tank looks so much more interesting than mine does now. I think I'm going to try to put some large rocks in too.

I was wondering about the idea of tying the plants to rocks. Can the rocks be smooth, or will it only work with porous rocks like lava?

Haha, thanks! Every thing except the sand is from the dollar store ;)

If you have a smooth rock, you can take some sand paper to the top of it, that way the plant can grab on, but the rest of the rock still looks nice and smooth :)

Thanks tithra! I'll get some fishing line, that makes sense. My sister was laughing at me while I tied them up with floss :P

That's not so crazy. I tie my plants with cotton thread. Eventually, the plant attaches to the rock or driftwood, and the thread deteriorates and disappears. ;)

To make my barebottom less boring I added a very thin layer of sand.

This makes it no longer a barebottom tank! :rofl

It's very pretty, Akari. I love having black sand for substrate as well :)

I have a bare bottom tank for the goldies..............super easy to clean, the rocks and plant are the center piece, Seaclear bubble curtian, and plenty of growing room !!

To make my barebottom less boring I added a very thin layer of sand.

This makes it no longer a barebottom tank! :rofl

It's very pretty, Akari. I love having black sand for substrate as well :)

Well I never said it was *still* a bearbottom :P

Haha, thanks. I'm thinking about doing something similar to my 5.5 gallon betta tank. At least with the amount of sand. The thicker sand bed really gets yucky, even with MTS to keep it cleaned up >.<

Can you believe that tank is only 6 gallons?? I love it! Lol