Sign in to follow this  
TrevorHardin

My tank plan

Hello, all.

I would like some feedback on my plan.

So, I currently have a 10 gallon aquarium. I am getting back into the hobby of fish keeping, so I intend to buy a filter, hood, gravel, etc. when I get more money on my birthday (26th of this month).

I would like to keep 2 goldfish. I understand that a goldfish should have 20 gallons of space, and 10 gallons should be added for every other fish.

I was wondering if it would be alright to house two small goldfish in my 10 gallon aquarium for about 4 months, until I can get a 30 gallon tank?

My mother wants to make sure that I'm serious about this, and won't let me purchase a 30 gallon tank right now.

I want these fish to live to their full potential. Hopefully I can take them to university with me in a couple of years.

What do you think of my plan? Please tell me the flaws, as I only want the little dears to be happy.

Thank you :)

Congrats on the 10 gallon, and happy early birthday! :)

I would just get one fish for the 10 gallon, especially if you plan on getting a single tail since they require more space. Then, if you decide to upgrade, you could get your second. :)

I had this same issue when I had my Moor in a 10 gallon for about 4 months. I wanted another fish soooo bad, but decided to upgrade my setup, make sure it was all cycled, and then get my new fish.

One fish honestly isn't bad at all, it felt good knowing she had better quality water which I know she appreciated more than having a friend for the time being.

I would also do at least two 50% water changes a week with one small fish in a 10 gallon, even more if possible. Make sure your filter is rated for 10x the volume of your aquarium per hour. So something with around 100gph would be perfect.

Hope this helps, good luck! :)

Also, you do not need gravel, many people here have bare bottom tanks, which I'm sure you can find pictures of if you browse the forum. I personally have a bare bottom and LOVE it. It adds more water volume for the fish, makes cleaning a breeze, and keeps the tank cleaner since bad bacteria have less places to hide. If you do use gravel, just use 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and be sure to vacuum it very well during water changes. If you dont, bad things can brew inside and make your fish sick.

Thanks so much, MS. Jenny, it helps alot!!!

I am still thinking about what type of goldie to get. Looking at everyone's pictures on here, it's difficult to choose! I love the look of comets and have had good past experiences, but I rather like the somewhat dorky personality of oranda's. I'm glad that I have so long to decide!

I've been a keeper of mice and rats for a long time, and I find that they do significantly better with a friend to cuddle with, play with, and even quarrel with. I will definitely hold off on the second fish, but my goldie will have a friend! :)

Thanks so much, MS. Jenny, it helps alot!!!

I am still thinking about what type of goldie to get. Looking at everyone's pictures on here, it's difficult to choose! I love the look of comets and have had good past experiences, but I rather like the somewhat dorky personality of oranda's. I'm glad that I have so long to decide!

I've been a keeper of mice and rats for a long time, and I find that they do significantly better with a friend to cuddle with, play with, and even quarrel with. I will definitely hold off on the second fish, but my goldie will have a friend! :)

No problem, I'm happy I could help! :)

I definitely agree about the friend, and I do think you should plan on having two fish eventually. My two fish follow each other around the tank constantly and are best friends, it's so cute and fun to watch.

It was definitely worth it to wait though, since health is a major factor in happiness. :)

Edited by Ms.Jenny

Also, you do not need gravel, many people here have bare bottom tanks, which I'm sure you can find pictures of if you browse the forum. I personally have a bare bottom and LOVE it. It adds more water volume for the fish, makes cleaning a breeze, and keeps the tank cleaner since bad bacteria have less places to hide. If you do use gravel, just use 1/4 to 1/2 inch, and be sure to vacuum it very well during water changes. If you dont, bad things can brew inside and make your fish sick.

I will do this, what a great idea! Thank you!

I don't think that it's a very good idea to keep two goldfish in a 10 gallons, unless you have definite plans for a bigger tank within a couple of months.

I've QT'd 2 fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for 6 weeks, but I was doing WCs every day or every other day.

Totally agreed. A lot of people have high hopes for a larger tank soon, but then it doesn't happen and there are water quality issues and the fish get ill. It isn't worth the risk.

Thank you all for your input.

I shall wait to have two goldies until I have a 30 gal up and running. Ms. Jenny says that having just one small goldfish in my 10 gallon for a few months would be fine, do you all agree? If I did this, I would preform two weekly water changes, and I would have a new tank in no more than 5 months, tops.

In four months, healthy small goldfish will have at least tripled in size, which is why everyone is saying no. You can get a 20-30 gallon plastic storage box as a temporary tank for two goldies. These things are not designed to hold water, so they will bulge out unless you provide some extra support. You can build a "collar" around the top out of 1x3s, like I did on this filter box,and it will work fine.

IMG_0523-1.jpg

What a great idea, Shakaho! Thank you, I will have to consider that!

I've decided to wait to have any fish until I can purchase a large enough tank. Thank you all for your help, I look forward to learning from you all in the future!

You've gotten great advice already :) I just wanted to add that the petco dollar per gallon sale is still going on so if you have 30 extra dollars you can pick yourself up up a 30 gallon! It ends this weekend I believe :)

My local ad says the sale goes on until July 21.

My local ad says the sale goes on until July 21.

Mine goes through the 21st as well :) been waiting for the store to get in more than one 10 gallon.

good to know guys! I thought it was only 2 weeks :) Mine doesn't have many tanks left already!

This has proven to be a crazy day.

So, I was sitting with my mother and told her that I've decided not to set up an aquarium right now due to space issues and such. I explained why to her - that due to overcrowding the ammonia level would be crazy, and that it may cause health problems for my fish.

She told me that two goldies would be fine, and that they are "just fish", and would probably die after a few months.

:blowup:

I went into my room, and decided "challenge accepted!"

I called petco, and they are still doign their dollar per gallon sale. They don't have any 30 gals. on hand right now, but may when they get their shipment in. I was instructed to call on friday and inquire then.

I told my mother that I accept her challenge, that I will make a couple of goldies thrive for years in a larger tank.

She's all for it. She wants to give me the money my sister was going to give me as a birthday present on the 26th now, so that I can purchase a filter and a test kit and "get the water cookin'"

I will probably wait until the end of the month to purchase a test kit and filter, as I want to wait until I get payed to make sure that I have enough funds to cover all of this.

Basically, the world has gone mad in the Hardin household!

I am happy that I've found a community of people as nerdy as I to share this little adventure with!!!

Everyone has covered everything pretty well!

I must point out that if, when you go to the university, you live in a dorm, it is unlikely they will let you have pets. Even if they allow fish, they do not nomrally allow anything larger than a 10 gallon aquarium.

So, either KNOW that your mom or other family member will care for your fish while you are away or KNOW that you will be getting an appartment that is pet friendly.

Good Luck!