Does size matter?

baypo_km

I have a female that just started laying eggs this week for the first time. I'm really excited because I've never bred fish before but want to give this a try. She is the only fish I have and I want to get her a male to fertilise the eggs, but she is about 3 or 4 inches long and all of the fish they have in the shop are quite a bit smaller.

Does the size of the fish matter when it comes to breeding? Can a smaller male fertilize a larger female's eggs? Do the males and females reach sexual maturity around the same amount of time, or does a female mature faster?

Sorry, so many questions!

I think one of comparable size would be fine, although one a smaller male could work as well.

The only thing is that if she's already been laying eggs, you may be done already for this season...

I believe the males mature earlier than the females. Males are usually smaller than females, and so a smaller male is usually fertilizing the eggs of a larger female.