Sign in to follow this  
Guest Orandatank

Just Torn Fins

Guest Orandatank

Hello, I am new to this chat board and just signed in today out of panick. After several years of figuring out the best balance for orandas and fantails I have the perfect, healthy community tank. Problem is I have a fantail that likes to get into trouble.

First time it got stuck under a small rock crevace that was a quarter the size of the fish. Don't know how it did it, but I quickly noticed it and redid the formation.

This time the fish was not so lucky. I introduced a little sunken ship for my cories to swim into, but the fantail decided it would be a good place to get wedged into and I found this morning with a little bit of it's tail hanging out.

After freeing it, I noticed all the tail fin was a torn mess and I saw a little bit of white growths. It almost looked like little snail eggs were layed on it. Could it be infection from stress? Should I worry?

I have added the recommended dosage salt and stress coat for repairing fins. Is there anything else I can do? Should I be concerned about those few small white spots? I just have had bad luck whenever I use Kanacin or any gram negative or positive medications. They have never saved any of my fish. Any suggestions would be most helpful. :huh:

Guest Orandatank

It appeared overnight, that quick. So I do not think that it is a fungus. Doesn't look like ick either. It is at the base of the tail on each side. Perhaps it was a sore caused by the pivot point where the tail rotates from.

Tonight I checked on the fish and it is acting normal. However, not only is it's tail split, but its pectoral fins have also lost some pieces. I am guessing that it was stuck overnight, possibly it thrashed about and the plecostamous sucked onto him because he was trapped.

If you have any more ideas let me know :hi

Thanks

Guest Orandatank

Here's a picture. Surprised the fish kept that still. Arrow points to the location of the white spot, so you can see actually how big it is, which it isn't very.

bigtail.jpg

Edited by Orandatank

Hi Orandatank,

This could a be a few things: fungus, infection or as you said just plain physical injury. It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo. To treat this I would suggest salting the tank to.3%, as this is a gentle but very effective way of preventing secondary infections, healing mild infections already present, and dealing with fungus or lurking parasites too. Since you have plecos, snails and plants in your main tank - none of which like salt at all - I would treat the afflicted one separately in a hospital tank.

To salt to .3%, add 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon in increments of 1 tsp per gallon every 12 hours. You can use any salt (except Epsom) as long as it does NOT contain anti-caking agents. Dissolve the salt first in a little tank water before pouring it in. Keep the salt at this level until the marks have gone completely, then drop the salt level down by successive water changes before returning the fish to the main tank.

Hope this helps. :)