Sign in to follow this  
beepbeepimajeep

Floating problem progressively getting worse

Go ahead with the MMs, please. She will need exactly 10 pellets per day, because that amount equals to 1% of her body weight. See if you could break it into 3-6 meals.

Good luck, and let us know how goes. :)

If somehow you can isolate her during feeding time, such as using a breeder basket/net, then by all means keep her where she is. In this case, we just don't want others to eat the meds.

I could put her in a floating tub at feeding time. I think that would be best for her not having to go through the stress of moving out alone into an almost empty tank, she loves being around the other fishes and always teaming up with the ranchu shifting through the sand and poking the plants when not floating.

But what about them eating each other poops? Would the contents in the poops no longer matter once they went thru the digestive tracts? She's known to get floaty even with just one tiny pellet. What are the chance of a not very well-digested contents in the poops of other fishes irritate her and interfere with her progress?

Edited by beepbeepimajeep

Of course, having her in a QT tank is the best option, but in certain cases, it can be avoided if necessary.

All the points you've brought are really good ones, and that's why I'd like for you to break this into 3-6 meals spaced out through out the day. As you will see with MMs, there won't be any large poop for the others to gobble up, and I would venture to say that at very least, you won't see any kind of floatiness while she is on MMs. The bigger challenge to make use of the reset the MMs afford her, to keep her from being floaty in the future :)

When should I expect to see improvement?

She has been on MM for 4 days and so far she look much worse. She gulps more desperately and longer, it's similar to the time I fed her Pro-gold. Whatever is in these foods, it makes her went crazy gulping like she will never has another chance to do it. She's also floating all day and has less control of her body (flipping, barrel rolls, belly up...).

If you were to see improvements, I think you would have seen it my by now. I'm sorry that this is not working. :(

As much as I hate doing this, I think that things have gotten worse, we need to stop the medication. Fast her for at least days, and then for 14 days straight, feed her nothing but well cooked spinach. I want to get her back to being non-floaty before figuring what she can eat.

I've fasted her 3-4 days a couple of times, followed with one week of spinach which she wasn't floaty during the duration. Each time I tried to reintroduce her to different foods: gels, frozen, repashy.....and each time her problem came back.

It may be that you will have to feed less, lower the water volume, and increase tank temp.

This is one of the more stubborn cases :(

Also, isn't it bad I stop short on the course of antibiotic? I remember reading it would cause resistance to the med and maybe other bad things.

Also, isn't it bad I stop short on the course of antibiotic? I remember reading it would cause resistance to the med and maybe other bad things.

It can, but we have to weigh out the balance between good and harm. In this case, I think it's OK, because it doesn't appear that a bacterial infection is the root of the problem. You are OK to cease, unless you want to carry this out to at least a week...

I think I will give it a few more days to correctly judge the effectiveness....

I will try feeding less although I think I've already been feeding very conservative lately and the growth of all 3 fishes seems to halted a bit. Also, she can get the same reaction from just one pellet...

My tank is a 40Breeder, so depth is quite favorable relatively to most tanks, not sure if cutting off water volume would be wise when it compromises the gallon requirement for the 3 fishes i have in there.

Edited by beepbeepimajeep

So after one week of MM, not only that she doesn't get any better, her condition is exacerbated. She's floating almost all day instead of 3-5 hours twice a day like before. I feel bad making the poor fish more miserable than she already was. I think it was a pretty bad decision to give her the MM. Not sure if the med in there aggravated her or the contents of the food, which is similar to ProGold. I was quite disappointed with ProGold, it gives my other fishes floaty as well. Luckily, they returned to normal as soon as I stopped.

I will have to research other methods to alleviate her problem.

I'm sorry. I hope that she gets better.

I would try a lower water depth. Although a 40 gallon is relatively shallow compared to larger tanks, it is still deep enough to put significant pressure on the swim bladder of a sensitive fish. I would grab a smaller tank (10 gallon, 20 gallon long something like that) and only fill it up to where it is just an inch or two above her dorsal, see how she does in this very shallow water. If she has a bit more control, begin increasing the tank water a small amount each day.

If you want to run a filter on the QT tank you can use a piece of filter padding to break the splash of the water. Here's a video showing this:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid436.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq81%2Fjegreen3%2FDSCN0030.mp4">

Thank you Tithra. I will definitely put this down as something to try. It probably won't be my first choice because my life situation makes it very difficult for me to maintain two tanks, especially one with less water volume that requires more frequent WCs. But if I couldn't find other option, I will try my best to give this idea a go.

I would like to follow her up with probiotic. I have acidophilus at 2 billion per capsule. How much gel food can I make for every capsule?

You add 20 million cells per gram of gel food.