Sign in to follow this  
Guest tjfernandes

Post-mortum Analysis

Guest tjfernandes

Just fair warning, this is only my second post and I'm an absolute beginner. I posted in another area to see how to set up a tank, but I also need to know what's happened. My apologies in advanced if I'm out of the social norms here.

I need some help analyzing what's happened, so I don't repeat the mistake . . .

A week ago, a friend gave me two small, 1" gold fish, in a small bowl (the type you see in country fairs; thow a ping-pong ball in and win a fish). I thought it might be fun for the kids, thinking that goldfish were pretty hardy, and remembering friends who'd keep a goldfish in a bowl for 5+ years.

Being absolutely naive, we realized that the fish needed more room so we went out and bought what we thought was an adequate bowl (1 gallon traditional). They were fine for a week. Then my 5 year old daughters fish started getting sick and over the course of 2 days died. She's devastated, which tears my heart.

We realized that water quality was a HUGE problem - in a 1 gallon bowl, but what did the fish die of? Prior to it's death it would go to the bottom and just lay there, breathing heavy, fins close to body, and no visible markings. Even after a 100% water change (to give oxygen and get rid of amonia), giving Quick-Cure and Maracyn-Two, she'd come to the top and breath heavy at the surface. Needless to say, she died.

Any thoughts . . .

Also, just out of interest, until our new tank is up and running would it be bad to give the other fish Quick-Cure to beef up it's immunity?

Guest Ceridwen

Medicating fish who are not sick will actually tend to hurt their immunity, medication tends to stress them, making them more vulnerable. So unless they have something specific you are treating, then avoid it.

Do you have your new tank already?

Hi, TJ. I responded to your other post as well.

It looks like water quality probably was a contributing factor, if not the all-out cause of the death. Goldfish often come with various problems, so this may have been the case with your fish, and the poor water quality just "brought it out", by stressing the fish and allowing the condition to worsen. Poor water has the potential of killing a goldfish all on its own, though, and can cause the symptoms you describe. It's often impossible to determine the actual cause of death without biopsies and a post-mort exam.

Good luck with your other fish.