Sign in to follow this  
pandamanda111

Mouth size causing problems for little E.

Hello!

I am starting to get more concerned about the size/shape of ernie's mouth. He isn't growing nearly as much as bert, and i think it has to do with the fact that he has a difficult time eating food due to his misshapen, small mouth. is there anything i can do? :( I'll try to do as much as i can.

Suggestions, anyone? :)

thank you!

-Mandie

Are you making Gel food hun?

Yep! But he can only eat the teensiest tiniest pieces at a time, and then he can't seem to get any more, because his mouth is full.

Yep! But he can only eat the teensiest tiniest pieces at a time, and then he can't seem to get any more, because his mouth is full.

Can you show me a Photo of is mouth hun?

You may have to do some smaller meals for them... :)

here's the only pic i could find! It's from about 7-8 months ago. But it still looks pretty similar :)

IMG_1977.jpg

its a weird shape, and sort of squished in at the sides.

That actually still is a decent size mouth. I would try to increase the feedings and make sure to feed him extra. You ever feed blood worms? They are easy to feed to a single fish as a bigger glob. Get some tooth pics that have one end rounded off. With this end, pick up a glob of defrosted blood worms and try to get Ernie to gobble it up. That's what I do with fish that I want to fatten up some more, it seems to help :)

Do you offer veggies on a regular basis? You know, some cucumber or zucchini that you soften in the microwave or blanch in a small pot quickly so it softens, and leave it clipped into the tank for a couple days and then replace with a fresh piece. That way the fish can eat between the regular feedings. Of course it is not as fattening as pellets or blood worms, but it is food and good for them :)

You think? Even when the guys were the same size, Ernie's mouth was noticeably much smaller. Bert is a piggy and has absolutely no issue eating large amounts of food ;)

I give them spinach on occasion. Maybe I'll try cucumber today! That's a fun idea. I used to do oranges, but only on occasion, because they aren't good for them (right?).

I agree with fang... :)

He needs extra care in the feeding department hun. He needs more smaller meals more often too.... Most likely he wont ever be as big as your other one hun, but smaller and more of them will help this little one :thumb:

You think? Even when the guys were the same size, Ernie's mouth was noticeably much smaller. Bert is a piggy and has absolutely no issue eating large amounts of food ;)

I give them spinach on occasion. Maybe I'll try cucumber today! That's a fun idea. I used to do oranges, but only on occasion, because they aren't good for them (right?).

Oranges etc are high in sugars. Veggies like cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, spinach etc are much better for him. And with the extra feedings specifically for Ernie, it will help him put on some weight.

Okay :) I'll try my best! Should I do gel food on the morning at night, and veggies in between?

Okay :) I'll try my best! Should I do gel food on the morning at night, and veggies in between?

Thats what I would do :thumb:

You could do Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with two snacks if they were all small meals... This way they are munching all day.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the water hun. Sometimes when we increase the food leaves the nitrate levels will go higher. But this is all in good :thumb:

Oh boy :doh11: more water changes :doh11::P

:flex:

Since I'm feeding more meals, should they be a lot smaller than normal?

:rofl I do 3 a week! :o

Edited by pandamanda111

Yes hun do them as half meals, then the vegie. This way it is more food, but just not all at once.

funny this is how I have to eat :rofl

Lol! You want me to make you some gel food and cucumber? :P

Oh yes please with some green beans :o:rofl

Since I'm feeding more meals, should they be a lot smaller than normal?

:rofl I do 3 a week! :o

Are you doing 3 a week because you have to? Does ammonia/nitrite/nitrate rise that fast in the tank?

I will have some!

Come on over! :rofl

I do them because I like clean water, and because my nitrate gets pretty high after 4-5 days. It started when I started feeding gel food...I wonder if it has to do with the fact that my tank is 5 gallons short of the right size? I will try to upgrade some time within the next year or so, but you know how that goes ;)

Edited by pandamanda111

Come on over! :rofl

I do them because I like clean water, and because my nitrate gets pretty high after 4-5 days. It started when I started feeding gel food...I wonder if it has to do with the fact that my tank is 5 gallons short of the right size? I will try to upgrade some time within the next year or so, but you know how that goes ;)

Okay, as long as it is not the ammonia/nitrite rising in a couple days, I would find that concerning/odd given that you should be cycled and your fish are still relatively small ;) I like clean water too :P

Yeah, I'm working on saving up some money, and will try to buy some plants sometime soon, to try to lower nitrates :)