What all defines a RANCHU

number20121

The reason I ask is this? My local Petsmart doesn't carry them. They have lionheads. The typical small lionheads with lots of flaws. Some of them an almost 100% straight back, some have dents in it etc etc.

Very much like this, but many of them "worse" quality

lionhead1.jpg

Yesterday I go there, and in between all these lionheads is a tiny 1" little yellow fish that looks just like this (but of course a smaller and less fat juvie version) and actually the guy at Petsmart hat an even more rounded off back / more pronounced tail tuck.

SVR01.jpg

Now my question is: can this be a lionhead that simply has some more chu genes come through? Lionchu? Or are the Lionheads Petsmart sells, just the low quality ranchus with too straight backs? Because none of their lionheads actuall has a LION head.

I was so tempted to get him, he looked like a bullet LOL

I am just confused how they ended up with this one tiny perfect "ranchu" looking guy in their tank full of low quality, bent back lionheads.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Get some pics if you get him! Perhaps a lionchu?? Are Petsmart is selling lionheads. None of them have really any wens or barely any and dented backs. I say get him!

Oh wow. That really does sound like he is either a Ranchu or a Lionchu to me.

I'd say he was worth getting, myself!

and that little picture you posted is so sad. 8c

I got my Lionhead from petco, and he is just really lovely. I was really bothered when I went to petsmart yesterday and saw how terrible their fish looked. All those ryukins, so listless. -sigh-

Get him/her then! :)

I've come to the conclusion that show people and breeders sometimes have aesthetics that are too lofty for my puny brain to be able to grasp, especially when it comes to top view ranchus. So, I do what my pocket book and my sensibility tell me to do, which is pick what I find pleasing and say #### it to the standards.

Thanks everyone!

But I mainly wondered if in a batch of these lionheads as described and pictured above, one sibling can turn out to look very much like a ranchu? Is this likely or could they have screwed up with the shipment?

I think in a batch of ranchu breedings, there will be some with straight backs. Likewise, in a batch of lionhead spawns, there are some curved ones, although this may be rarer.

I think in a batch of ranchu breedings, there will be some with straight backs. Likewise, in a batch of lionhead spawns, there are some curved ones, although this may be rarer.

Gotcha! He just seems so out of place. Much smaller than the others and so.. ranchu-y :rofl If he was red and white or all / mostly white I'd get him in a heartbeat.

• 3 months later...