Sign in to follow this  
KrystalPR

Is Goldy having SBD?

Hi everyone!

I jus noticed that my biggest and usually most active goldfish is acting kind of low today, and swimming sideways - sometimes letting himself float away. He doesn't look ill otherwise, he's appetite is good though... I'm afraid he might be suffering from SBD, which is weird considering I usually feed them peas every other day. They had some today... Why is he acting that way? Any other remedies for this?

Here's the video:

th_c11ba43c.jpg

Please comment

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level: 0.25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level:0
  • * Nitrate level:0
  • * Ph Level, Tank: 7.6, after adding Seachem Neutral regulator
  • * Ph Level, Tap : 7.4
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit drops
  • * Water temperature? 85F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20gallons, 2 weeks
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 150
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Daily, 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tonight, 75%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, biggest is 3.5inches body and the others are around 1.5-2.5 inches each
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Neutral Regulator, API Stress Zyme+
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Spectrum New Life Goldfish 3mm, peas every other day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Goldy stays at the bottom or swims sideways to the top and then he just lets himself drop slowly all the way down. This behavior is relatively new, he used to do this mildly but it's a bit more noticeable now.

I think it is likely to be swim-bladder related. In the video, it's clear that he has problems staying afloat; he has to struggle a bit to lift higher, and then he sinks immediately.

With sinkers, I tend to think it's an infection related issue, and not one usually solvable by altering the diet or fasting. Having said that, I would like you to fast him for 1 day, to see if it has any effects.

If not, I think you will need antibiotic food, such as Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com

I

I think it is likely to be swim-bladder related. In the video, it's clear that he has problems staying afloat; he has to struggle a bit to lift higher, and then he sinks immediately.

With sinkers, I tend to think it's an infection related issue, and not one usually solvable by altering the diet or fasting. Having said that, I would like you to fast him for 1 day, to see if it has any effects.

If not, I think you will need antibiotic food, such as Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com

Thanks again dnalex... I was going to move everyone over to the new tank tomorrow, but I think I'll have to leave Goldy in the 20gallon to control his diet and observe him better...

Ok... So I ordered the Metro-Meds last night and got an e-mail saying they had shipped today... Goldy is still very much swimming sideways and has been doing more bottom sitting lately, hope the meds get here soon. Is there anything else I can do for him while I wait?

I haven't really been able to starve him because he just eats my plants if I don't feed him - specially the water lettuce (or what's left of it). I'm thinking about removing the plants and placing them in the new tank soon. The other 3 little guys have been moved to the 60 gallon tank so he's by himself in the 20g now.

Water levels: Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0.25ppm, Nitrate: 0ppm, ph: somewhere between 7.4-7.8.

Did a 40% water change this morning, but didn't test - these are the current values.

I added some Neutral Regulator.

There are three things I would like for you to feed him, until the meds arrive:

1. cooked and de-shelled peas. Mush it and give it to him/them.

2. well-cooked baby spinach. I usually just microwave this in some tank water, clip it on the tank, and let them have at it. Since he's stuck on the bottom, I would make sure the food is accessible to him.

3. unsalted, canned green beans, cut to small pellet size.

The idea is just to give him more plant matters to keep him going, and then we'll start the Metro-Meds once it arrives.

Hi again...

Today I got home to see Goldy in a not so good state, he was barely moving and was bottom sitting near the tank's filter. The part that really scared me was when I started to add peas, he tried to swim but he could get up to grab them, he seemed to be gasping a bit... :( I got scared so I took him out of his tank to feel his belly and see if I saw anything out of the ordinary... First of all I noticed his color has changed, he used to have black markings (not related I'm sure, but just noting), other than that he looked and felt normal to me - stomach felt as firm as the rest of his body. Took some pictures of him just in case - couldn't take pics outside the water as I didn't want to risk him falling while I took the pic. I panicked and removed every decoration I had in there, except for my hornwort and two anacharis... BTW my hornwort has some kidnd of fuzziness around it's leafs is that normal? Could that affect Goldy?

After that I went ahead and tested the water, to my surprise nitrites were at 1.0ppm, Ammonia 0.25ppm. I immediately did an 80-85% water change and he started to swim around a bit more and ate a couple of peas (will get the spinach and green beans tomorrow because the supermarket I went to only had salted green beans and no spinach at all...). This is my 20 gallons tank, which is not yet cycled - but it's apparently making progress.

Water levels after the waterchange:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0.25ppm

Nitrates 5ppm!!!! I didn't test for nitrate before as my tank is cycling and yesterday was the first time I saw nitrites, didn't expect them in for another week at least- so I'm kind of psyched to be seeing nitrate...

Added Neutral Regulator, some Stress Zyme+ and Stress Coat+ (just in case the aloe vera does something at all to ease his stress after being handled.)

He seems a bit better now and is floating a little around the tank, but not swimming much - just floating up (not all the way to the top though) and then letting himself fall right back down head first, almost like a rock and then going back to his little corner.

I'm starting to get a bit more worried about him now though than I was initially... Don't know if his behavior today was related to the nitrite peak, but I wouldn't have expected it to affect him that much because I had added prime last night.

Anything else I can do while the meds get here??? I feel like I should be doing more for him :(

Here are his pics:

8e92e083.jpg

29d9f666.jpg

Here's a link to a video of him (sorry about the background noise, that is my other baby - the hairy kind, Harvey my french bulldog chewing on his nylabone):

th_a7e5b4df.jpg

Hi Krystal,

Because Goldy already isn't feeling well, we have to be extra careful to keep the water as pristine as possible, which means checking the parameters daily, and use Prime and WCs to keep things safe for him. For now, the other thing that you can do is add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of tank water to the tank. This will also help block some of the nitrite toxicity.

I'm glad you are starting to see some nitrates. Hopefully, the cycling is almost done :)

The fuzzy things on the plants are most likely algae an are safe.

Thanks dnalex! Will add the salt and prime right away... And I'm very happy that my tank is on its way to get cycled as I still have my 55 gallon doing my fish-in cycle (it's only been 2 days) at 0ppm everything so it's a long way to go... Would it be a good idea to add some of my gravel from the 20g in a media bag to my 60g?

edit: typo

Edited by KrystalPR

You can add some of the old gravel to the big tank if you like. Just put it somewhere where there a good flow of water :)

Aquarium salt and Prime was added, Goldy seems to be doing a lot better because when he saw the salt he bolted to it thinking it was food (still on the bottom though). Will add some of the gravel to the big tank asap and keep you posted on Goldy tomorrow...

Edited by KrystalPR

Oops. Next time when you add salt, dissolve it first in some tank water :)

Yeah oops! lol, he didn't eat it though, and it's already dissolved - but I'll definitely keep that in mind next time! *face-palm*

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been updating lately... I got the meds today, Goldy's not doing good at all... water params are as follows:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0.25ppm

Nitrate:10ppm

He's getting stuck to the filter as shown in this video:

He weighs 1.5oz, I can't find the post where I read how to determine his dose! I'm kind of desperate here... :( How much MM should I give him???

Edited by KrystalPR

That's 43g. Feed him 20 pellets of MMs daily.

Good luck! Fins crossed for him.

Thanks a bunch! Will do... Should I feed him 20 right away or 10 now and a couple more in a couple of hours? I know I should divide his meals but since I got the meds today - should I give him a full day's dose right away or like half and then tomorrow continue with 20 pellets daily?

My sick guy gets his fins stuck to the filter too. What I did was bought one of those sponges that go in the Aquaclear filters (not more than 5 bucks) and cut the long way so it wasnt thick, almost like a normal looking cleaning sponge, and wrapped it around and then tied a pony tail around it to keep it secure. It works perfect!

Thea that sounds interesting... do you have a picture? I'd like to see exactly how it is so that I can figure out how to do it myself...

Sorry for the awful picture, I took it with my phone and it wanted to focus on the bubbles. Only downfall is it wont suck up large particles/uneaten food but I'll just take care of that with water changes. Plus it saved his poor fins, they got so beat up from being stuck to the filters.

IMAG0458.jpg

Edited by Thea

Looks interesting... I think I saw those replacements at PetSmart the other day - I'll try and grab some this weekend. I'm kind of bummed right now because the filter was not an issue with Goldy before, but since he's gotten weak and is bottom sitting most of the time, he's having trouble with it. He's been eating fine though: baby spinach, green beans and peas for the last few days. I just hand fed him 7 MM pellets as his first dose, let's see how it goes... :no:

Edited by KrystalPR

Thanks a bunch! Will do... Should I feed him 20 right away or 10 now and a couple more in a couple of hours? I know I should divide his meals but since I got the meds today - should I give him a full day's dose right away or like half and then tomorrow continue with 20 pellets daily?

No, you should divide the twenty into 3-6 meals a day, depending on your schedule :)

No, you should divide the twenty into 3-6 meals a day, depending on your schedule :)

Thanks again Alex :) I think I'll stick to 6-7 pellets 3 times a day then. I just gave him 7, so I'll give him some more in the morning. I just hate seeing him in the bottom like that - today he won't even swim to eat, which is extremely weird! He does eat if I present the pellet in front of his mouth - so he's hungry, just very weak apparently, plus I noticed more red blood-vessel like markings on his tails again (water parameters are ok as previously posted, added Prime just in case)... Heard great things about MM, hope they work for my little guy. :undecided:

I am sending healing vibes to your little guy he is so cute <3 MM helped my little guys mushy tummy and his floaty issues ;)

I am sending healing vibes to your little guy he is so cute <3 MM helped my little guys mushy tummy and his floaty issues ;)

Thanks MissColonel - those are always welcome :)

Oh no! Has Goldy started pineconing? I just noticed his scales look a bit more raised than usual... I'm really glad I bought the MM though.... He started twitching a little so I immediately did a 50% w/c just in case (even though levels were acceptable), I got really worried after he got his first MM dose, because he lowered his dorsal fin and started acting even more lethargic. After the w/c he swam around a little and is now bottom sitting again - I think he's trying to peck my anacharis - should I remove them from the tank so that he ONLY eats the MM?

Could this have been droopsy all along??? Are my other fish in danger? They've been a part for almost a week now and the others show no signs of illness...

As a side note his water temperature was very different today than how it had been for the whole week... His tank is usually at 85F and today it was at 75F, a lot of rain cooled the room temperature down, could this affect his scales that way?

Here are some pics I just took....

c0dd0d0d.jpg

2043b1ce.jpg

Edited by KrystalPR