Sign in to follow this  
shakaho

Mini Bog Filter for Aquarium or Container Pond

No. You can treat it just like a bucket. Do make sure your pot has a wall thick enough to be rigid.

This is great! I would love to do something like this in the future when I am able to.

I'd love to try this out with a five gallon bucket or something. Right now I've got plants in my filters, but a real bog filter would be amazing.

Question about the water flow rate...i have something similar that i do with breeder boxes on the back of my fifty five gallon, but i still have high nitrates despite the large plant mass that i have in them...should the water move through slowly or fast...?

im just trying to figure out a natural way to help decrease my nitrates!

Thanks!

Jasmine

Slowly, if the volume of water the plants are in is large enough. How long have the plants been growing, how large are they, and what kind of plants are you using?

Its mostly lucky bamboo that's been in for around six months or more, some houseplant clippings that do well in water and I just added a pretty good sized peace lily in there too. There are two 0.5 gallon breeder boxes that this all resides in. The bamboo is getting pretty big, I'll take a pic tomorrow to show you.

Heres the pic pf my tank, you can see how big the plants are, its a fifty five gallon.

031519977ce62f80b9fdb221ad27bbb4_zps2d2187cc.jpg

The two breeder boxes are run by two tetra internal filter pumps that i took out of the filter, they were ten gallon filters.

There is actually a third breeder box on the back that's why there is that gap, i have more lucky bamboo and a different pump on the way from amazon, i think there is about 55 stalks of bamboo right now and i have fifty more on the way, plus the house plants and the peace lily that is in there, so i have a lot of plant mass in there....i just dont understand why my nitrates continue to be high =[

Edited by xjasminex

I'm not sure I understand how you are pumping the water to the plants, but the only thing I can see is you aren't getting enough of the tank water in there. Those plants are clearly big enough to be using all the nitrate produced by the tank. In this case it looks like you need to move the water faster and/or have the plants in a larger volume of water. Any chance you could hang the plants in the tank?

The water is being pumped into the breeder boxes by those pumps you can see above the plants, they came from old tetra whisper internal filters that i had but wasn't using, their website says they pump 90 gal. per hour. The breeder boxs, empty, hold 0.5 gallons.

I would like to keep the plants out of the tank because i don't want the fish eating the roots, and i don't want to compromise swimming space.

The water is being pumped into the breeder boxes by those pumps you can see above the plants, they came from old tetra whisper internal filters that i had but wasn't using, their website says they pump 90 gal. per hour. The breeder boxs, empty, hold 0.5 gallons.

I would like to keep the plants out of the tank because i don't want the fish eating the roots, and i don't want to compromise swimming space.

Take a look at some of my threads. I had to ditch the breeder boxes because I couldn't get pumps that hooked up nicely. i started using soap dishes from the bath aisle in walmart. They're 1.50 each, and work great. They protect the roots, while keeping the plants in the tank itself. They don't take up much room, and I hang them in front of the filter outputs.

I did use those, filled them with gravel and planted my plants.

One day came home to gravel all over the tank, my plants below crushed and the soap dish holder sitting on the bottom of the tank holding nothing =[

Im not sure how long they lasted though, i dont remember.

By the way, i found another water pump that should work with the breeder boxes, i ordered in on amazon, the shrimpers on TPT are using it and that's how i found it. Its slower than the tetra whisper filter pumps but should do the job, i will let you know how it works for me once i have it up and running!

Edited by xjasminex

I did use those, filled them with gravel and planted my plants.

One day came home to gravel all over the tank, my plants below crushed and the soap dish holder sitting on the bottom of the tank holding nothing =[

Im not sure how long they lasted though, i dont remember.

By the way, i found another water pump that should work with the breeder boxes, i ordered in on amazon, the shrimpers on TPT are using it and that's how i found it. Its slower than the tetra whisper filter pumps but should do the job, i will let you know how it works for me once i have it up and running!

Get the heavy duty suction cups. The soap dish won't lie totally flat, but it holds very well. I can't wait to hear about the new pump. If it works, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm also looking into the bog filter, and want to build one just as soon as there's extra money. My husband loves to grow vegetables, and I'm hoping we can combine our two hobbies. ;)

You should turn a room into a fish/veggie room!

Or you should build a half sunroom, where your tank are in the half without the sun beating down on them and then the veggies would have the other half!

As I said at the beginning of this thread, there were some minor problems with this bog filter. So I have built an improvement, described here. Currently it is a temporary replacement for the bog filter of the back pond which I am repairing. Once that is done, the new filter will replace the one described above.

Those who are planning to build a container bog filter, would do well to read both threads.

I only expected the flimsy tote I used for this filter to last for a few months, but it just kept working for more than a year -- until this morning. I had just finished flushing the filter and started it filling again when I saw water coming out the bottom. The problem with a gravel-filled filter is you can't just drain it and move it. You have to take out all of the gravel to move it. So I got some tubs to rinse and hold the gravel and started emptying. This gave me lots of time to think about the replacement. Fortunately, I had an extra filter in one pond, so the emergency filter was no problem. Two or three hours later I had a substitute filter in place and was covered with filter crud. I would have built the new filter right away, but I needed a size of uniseal that I didn't have on hand. I'll get it tomorrow.

What will you use in place of the tote, Sharon?

I have a tall wastebasket that I was using for something else. I'm going to make a filter out of that, but not using gravel medium. It will outflow into a planter box with plants in gravel that will trickle water into the pond.