Sign in to follow this  
Evening

Filter Media?

I just did a complete overhaul on my 40 breeder, changing about 70% of the water, cleaning out the filters, rearranging the decor, everything. Along the way I threw out my last filter cartridges and tried my hand at nothing but improvised media; in this case, poly-fill fluff and an acrylic dress sock full of broken pottery, which I'd used loose before in the other filter. I'm hoping to switch to "Real" ceramic media in a week or so, but hopefully this will tide me over. The only problem is that the Filter is much more "Full" than it is with a cartridge, and the water is almost spilling out! I shudder to think of the mess if it actually began to overflow.

What do you guys do for your improvised filter media?

Why did you throw your cartridge out? Media shouldn't be thrown out because with the media you lose a major portion of your cycle bacteria!

I just use floss and ceramic rings :)

Oh and maybe you should remove a little bit of that media. I actually did have it happen that the water started to trickle out of the filter over night, and the next morning the water level in my tank was 2" lower and several gallons of water had soaked into my living room carpet :krazy:

I pulled some of the floss out a while ago, and now there's a little bit more breathing room.

I'm not too worried about throwing the cartridge away, since I've got my aquaclear 30 running with it's own supply of media that's well-seeded, which should work in the interim. The pot fragments are actually mostly from the AQ (Switched in some extra floss) so it should migrate to the new stuff pretty quickly.

Ah, gotcha!

Good thing you pulled some floss out. Ever since this happened to me I make sure that there is always enough room for the water flow. :)

For the moment I'm probably gonna keep using the poly fill, just because that's just about the only use I have for it. I might switch to bulk filter floss eventualy, but it's a pretty big sack (Pillow sized) So it should last a good long while.

One problem I have is that in the Aqeon filter, much of the water seems to pass over the poly fill rather than through it. I also worry I might have a bit too much crammed into the sock. :P

Sooo, real quick, what would you recommend for making sure I get good water passage... and what's a good brand of bio-media for someone on a bit of a budget?