Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Emerald Entree - Rant

Anybody else fed this yet? Isn't it awful to feed? Half of it dissolves instantly and makes the water terribly cloudy. I actually had to perform huge water changes immediately after feeding it the first time.

I have to feed the cubes frozen now to minimize the mess. Still messy, but much better than feeding it thawed.

I also have to absolutely turn the filters off, no matter if I feed it frozen or not. It probably is better to feed a defrosted cube in small portions to small fish, since my neons, platies and juvenile angelfish slurp most of the free floating food particles up. But the package suggests to feed this to Silver Dollars, for example, and they are not exactly small either.

The fish do love it though and I also think that the ingredients are great:

Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Krill, Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Spirulina Algae, Menhaden Oil, Sodium Alginate (a seaweed derived binder (that apparently doesn't work D: D: ), What Flour (I assume also for failed binding) and all sorts of vitamins and minerals.

I am thinking about trying to add a small dash of agar agar and making it into a firm gel.

/rant

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. If it's dissolving too quickly, use it as the base for a gel food. You can add some extra stuff too.

I haven't tried the emerald entree, but I do feed my guys a frozen cube with those ingredients too. I think they may also be from the San Francisco Bay company- it's in a variety pack along with blood worms and brine shrimp.

Anywho, I just plop those cubes in a worm feeder like this:

508143.jpg

Doesn't cloud the water, filter can't suck anything up, and the goldies take what they want- like a water bottle for a hamster or something.

What a great idea! I use Emerald sometimes and always hate the mess. Sometimes it leaves an icky ring around the water line of my QT.

I haven't tried the emerald entree, but I do feed my guys a frozen cube with those ingredients too. I think they may also be from the San Francisco Bay company- it's in a variety pack along with blood worms and brine shrimp.

What's a worm feeder?

Yep, I tried it years ago and it just disintegrated.

It's a better food for....filter feeders....maybe?

A worm feeder is used when feeding worms to your fish. You put them in the cup of the worm feeder and then they poke out from the holes in it. When they do, the fish suck them out! Yum! This is used by people who don't want them scattered around the tank, or when using live worms so they don't take residence in the gravel.

Edited by Acro

508143.jpg

Doesn't cloud the water, filter can't suck anything up, and the goldies take what they want- like a water bottle for a hamster or something.

OMG why did I never think of this! DUH!

Thanks, they are now on the top of my LFS shopping list :D

You're very welcome :)

I have a tank full of clumsy eaters so anything that'll help them out, I'm all for! I'm glad that it can work out for others too.