Sign in to follow this  
McBarto

Tail splitting? Novice fish owner, need help!

Could this injury be the result of bullying/fight?

Who is he fighting with only one fish in the tank?

I fight with myself a lot.

I hope it doesn't cause rips in your tail. :rofl :rofl :rofl

How is your other little goldie doing?

Hello! Sorry for the slow update. I've been really busy.

I'm a bit behind in the cycle, but I just did a water, salt, and prazipro change today. I just added 1 teaspoon of prazipro because I'm not sure I'll have enough to last 6 rounds if I double up. I actually went to a pet shop (to look at dogs) on my trip and they had a 1oz and 4oz bottle of prazipro, but I didn't get it because I didn't think I would need it. ######! I think I have 2 rounds left to go.

I took roughly 9 gallons out and I put 12 teaspoons of salt back in. Let me know if I should add more.

The goldfish seems to be doing well other than the tears in his tail (again, they're not huge, maybe 3-5 small ones that could have been there from the start). He does "zoom" around the tank a bit, and that just started in the past few days. Not sure what's causing that. Also the water seems a tiny bit cloudy after the water change, and it hasn't looked like that so far at all.

The cloudiness could be coming from the Prazi, although I would like for you to check on the parameters, after the WC, please.

Sorry I have not provided an update on the water conditions. I'm in the middle of doing the water change of round 5. Checked on my fish a few hours ago when I got home from work and he looked fine, just checked on him again and he's got a big tear in his tail! What could be causing this?? I do still have the pleco in the tank, but he never goes after him and I'm not sure how he would do that to him...

I've also noticed that since the other goldfish died, this one is very inactive. He almost seems depressed. He just floats around the tank and never really gets very excited.

I'm wonder if the pleco might be culprit, or if there are other causes to the rips. Plecos usually attack at night, when the fish are likely to be still :(

Plecos are nocturnal creatures, so unless your up from 12pm to 7am you wont every see them attack.

While your fish is sleeping and not feeling good, the pleco if it doesnt get enough food will go after the goldfish. i would suggest not having the pleco with the goldfish. :)

These new tears just happened a few hours ago, definitely not a nocturnal time at all. I'm not even sure how a pleco would rip a tail like that. My pleco usually swims around all day too. He's very active most of the time.

I really would try to separate the pleco. Even if it might not be the cause, we really have to start eliminating all the possibilities.

Yes, I understand. That's just not really an option in the immediate future. The guy I'm planning on giving him to is out of town for awhile, and I hardly have any time to transport him at the moment.

Could you upload some pics showing the rips? Thanks.

They look just like the rips my other goldfish had in his tail, and I posted videos of those earlier. Checked on him this morning when I woke up and his tail looks a lot worse. There are rips almost all the way down from tip to tip.

Ok, update: I removed the pleco from the tank and he's currently residing in a bucket of water that I took out of the tank when doing my water change today. Round 5 of prazi and salt is completely done. I overfed my poor goldfish this morning, so he's alternating between swimming around the tank actively and hanging out on the bottom of the tank (I'm use to feeding for 2+ goldfish, and my boyfriend is usually the one that feeds them in the morning, so it was a stupid mistake). He's no longer with the pleco though, so hopefully if that was the cause of the problems, he'll get better. I put about 1 and a quarter times the usual amount of salt in too.

That is great you were able to separate them :) also if you want you want you could fast him for a day then feed him deshelled peas cooked in tank water ;) So how many teaspoons of salt are in the tank? :) Also is it possible to post pics of the new rips or a video.

Edited by MissColonel

I've tried doing the peas thing in the past (one of our goldfish was having swim bladder problems) and none of them would eat the peas. They would just spit them back out. I just put in 10 rounded teaspoons, plus whatever was in there. I wasn't able to get as much water out this time. I will try to put up a video in a bit. Now he's just been sitting on the bottom of the tank for the past few hours. Hopefully it's just because of the overfeeding.

have you ever tried soaking the peas in garlic juice they usually can't refuse anything covered in garlic lol, ;) Did you get your test kit in, if you did please test the water :)

I haven't tried the garlic thing! I don't have any garlic though, so it might just be easier to wait it out for a bit. Still no test kit. I don't think I've even received an email saying that it has shipped yet... I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

I haven't tried the garlic thing! I don't have any garlic though, so it might just be easier to wait it out for a bit. Still no test kit. I don't think I've even received an email saying that it has shipped yet... I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

Oh that stinks on the test kit and you can always try green beans and baby spinach (my guys love greenbeans!!!) I get the unsalted greenbeans in a can ;) frozen will work too. I will be waiting on the video to see his behavior and those splits in the tail. ;)

Just a little update: the fish is still looking good. The pleco has been relocated to a friend's 55 gallon tank, so he's got plenty of room to grow now. The tears in my goldfish's tail are still there, but they don't seem to be getting worse. I'll be putting the last round of prazipro in today. When should I put the carbon back in the filer, and what do I do if he doesn't get better?

That is great about the pleco I am sure he is going to love it in there and get nice and big :D

Are you still at .1% salt? I am not sure but maybe we could up the salt to .3% I will ask alex ;)This would help the tears in the fins to heal. I am right now dealing with this with my current rescue and is helping a lot. Also you don't really need to put the carbon back in. A lot of people on this forum don't even use carbon in their filters and neither do I here is a link that will show you what you can do so you never have to buy cartridges again it saves a lot of money in the long run :Dhttp://www.kokosgold...ob-filters-r248

Also if you see the splits getting worse or any odd behavior we will be here for you for any questions or concerns ;)

Here is a video as well ;) of one of are mods Tithra

Edited by MissColonel

You can leave salt at 0.1% :)