Sign in to follow this  
McBarto

Tail splitting? Novice fish owner, need help!

It is possible he might have a worse infestation of flukes :( That is great your other guy is getting better :) Hang tight I am still talking with one of the moderates.

would you be able to post a few pics of the black spots and lumps? perhaps a video of it's behaviour?

Anything yet?

You can kind of see the black dots on his head. I have a better video if you need it.

I have absolutely no way of testing the ammonia.

i didn't see enough unfortunately, can you get some tank water down to the LFS and have them test it for you? this should be a free service. if they are able to do it, get them to test all the water params with a drops test kit, we find the results from a drops test kit more accurate than the strips. write down the actual values of the results.

question: does this fish have floaty issues? ie, when it rests, is it pinned to the surface of the water with it's head? sometimes exposure to air for lengthly periods of time can create black spots also.

the tail is torn, do you have ornaments in the tank that it could be getting caught on? or is the other one nipping it's fins at all that you have noticed?

thanks karen, i have had a good read of the other thread.

to the OP, i think it's too soon that you opened another thread for this problem given that you are still under advised treatment plan with your tank., i would encourage you to continue posting on the other thread where all the history is available.. in fact, i am going to merge the two as you have posted a new video here that will be helpful to those helping in the other thread.

good luck with your fish.

Sorry about opening another thread! I didn't know what to do and thought I would get some faster replies in the 911 section.

There haven't really been any changes throughout the evening. He does hang out at the top of the tank most of the time, but not directly at the surface of the water. I had swim bladder issues probably a year ago, but I haven't seen anything since.

Just try to stay calm I know this may be hard but trust me :( If he has a really bad flukes investation this can cause this sort of reaction durning prazi treatment and currently the best thing we can do is keep super clean water and fallow the prazi scedule :). Flukes is really evil and can be a pain and puts a lot of stress on the fish if there is a heavy flukes investation. Currently we just want to make him comfortable.

Edited by MissColonel

Just keep watch on him. I think that the appropriate treatment had been suggested, and now we just have to wait. Let's see how things are tomorrow before deciding to go ahead with the salt dip or not.

Good luck!

Morning update: more of the same for Goldfish #1. He was resting almost on the bottom of the tank before I turned the light on this morning, which isn't really unusual. Tail is still very torn, he's still swimming kind of odd (waddling), tail is still droopy. I just fed them but I'm sure after they're done searching for every possible flake left, he'll go back to just floating in space and not swimming around. Goldfish #2 is looking better though. His tail actually almost looks healed, and he's behaving normally.

Today is a water, salt, and prazipro change day, so hopefully that helps. Anything different I should do today?

Tomorrow I'm leaving town until Sunday evening, so if we're going to do a salt bath or anything different, it needs to happen today. I have someone that can check on the fish and feed them every day, but I wouldn't trust her to do any water changes or salt baths.

Good morning McBarto :)

How is goldie #1 eating is he still eating just fine and is he spitting any food out? That is great news on goldie #2 salt is great for for healing :D As for the salt bath I really would like to wait for that. Once you have done the water change and prazi let us know if any behavior change. A good big water change with re added salt and prazi will help a lot and might be the pick up he needs ;) Also let us know when your master api kit comes in :D

Good luck :)

Yup, he's eating just fine. Now he's just floating in the top back corner again, and sometimes in a bottom corner. Unfortunately I won't' have the test kit until next week, unless I go buy one for full price today, which I would really rather not do.

No I understand completely, although if you get a chance you can see if your LFS can test your water for you just make sure they give you actual numbers not a just fine :) that is a very good sign about the eating :) please just let us know if any behaviors change after the water change today ;)

Edited by MissColonel

Well, I changed the water about an hour ago and he's looking worse and worse. When I first put all the water back in, he just sat on the bottom and didn't move. As I started to add the salt back in, he perked up a bit, but then went back to laying on the bottom. Now he goes from laying on the bottom to floating around the tank a bit. He's "breathing" really slowly and he seems to have a couple more dark spots on him, mainly on his right gill. It's not looking good and we leave in the morning :(

Hello :)

The salt dip would be too much for him I think :( . You are doing everything possible and doing a great job. Have a safe trip tomorrow and I am sending healing vibes to your goldies <3 You are great fish mom ;)

Well, goldfish #1 passed away this morning.

I am sorry :( R.I.P

You did everything you could for him.

I'm so sorry. :(

Sometimes we don't really see symptoms of flukes until they get pretty bad, and by that time, so will be able to recover, and some won't. I wish there was something we could done to help, but MissColonel's suggestions were the best that anyone could do to try to help him.

RIP little fish.

Hello. How is your other fish doing?

Thanks for all of the help guys. Just got home and the other fish looks like he might have a few more tears in his tail (just small little ones though, not long ones like the other goldfish had). Do I continue to 6 rounds with prazipro?

Yes, please.

What percentage salt are you at? I would like for you to do the rest of the rounds at double dose of Prazi and 0.3% salt.

Could this injury be the result of bullying/fight?

Who is he fighting with only one fish in the tank?