Tail splitting? Novice fish owner, need help!

McBarto

I don't think I'm quite ready to start giving any advanced advice, but I would expect to see improvement in a week or so if the treatment works.

Regarding the PraziPro, I recently used the following schedule:

Day 1: 75% water change, add salt and prazi

Day 3: 75% water change, add salt.

Day 4: 75% water change, add salt and prazi.

Day 7: 75% water change, add salt.

Day 8: 75% water change, add salt and prazi.

I did this until PraziPro had been added 6 times, it's normally recommended to do 4-6 rounds of Prazi to eliminate flukes. Personally, I would definitely do 6 rounds in your situation, as your fish are both showing pretty prominent and progressive signs of flukes.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! Assuming that the treatment works and stops the disease, how long should it take for their fins/tails to heal?

Also, the bottle says to put the Prazipro in every 3-5 days, but one treatment should be enough. So I basically just put the one teaspoon in and that should be it?

With prazi pro you salt up to .1% salt that is 1 teaspoon per gallon so in your tank i would do 15 teaspoons because chances are there isn't a full 16 gallons of water in there. Also I would recommend getting the API master test kit because you have to make sure there isn't any ammonia because salt and ammonia is a bad mix.

Day 1: add prazi and salt (.1% = 1 teaspoon per gallon, make sure you dissolve it well before adding it to the tank)

Day 4: big water change (add back in the amount of salt you took out)

Day 5: big water change, add prazi (add back in salt you took out)

this is the schedule Tithra recommended for my finned babies QT process ;) Also make sure when you do water changes you add back the right amount of salt. Let's say you do a 80% water change you would add 12 teaspoons back to you tank ;)

Like Ms.Jenny said i would do 6 rounds of prazi and a round is every time you add prazi ;)

I don't think I'm quite ready to start giving any advanced advice, but I would expect to see improvement in a week or so if the treatment works.

Regarding the PraziPro, I recently used the following schedule:

Day 1: 75% water change, add salt and prazi

Day 3: 75% water change, add salt.

Day 4: 75% water change, add salt and prazi.

Day 7: 75% water change, add salt.

Day 8: 75% water change, add salt and prazi.

I did this until PraziPro had been added 6 times, it's normally recommended to do 4-6 rounds of Prazi to eliminate flukes. Personally, I would definitely do 6 rounds in your situation, as your fish are both showing pretty prominent and progressive signs of flukes.

Sorry, I had the schedule written down as Day 0: 75% water change, add salt and prazi. (Not Day 1) So there should be an extra day in the first round. :)

Oh wow, I didn't know about all this water changing and "cycling". My day 1 (or 0) was Wednesday, so should I do a water and salt change today, or tomorrow? Then the water, salt, and prazi change the day after. The only problem is that I'll be out of town from next thursday until next sunday. It would be best if I could land a prazipro treatment on wednesday (the 4th), but the only way that would work is to do the water and salt change today and prazi tomorrow. Is that ok? I don't want to be too aggressive with this and over-medicate my tank.

My fish seem to be getting worse. They have more splits in their fins today than they did yesterday.

What are your water readings and did you get a API master test kit because unfortunately test strips are very inaccurate :( Also how many teaspoons of salt are in their tank? Also is there anyone who could look after your fish while you are gone because once a treatment is started it really needs to be finished. Prazi is a very safe trust me it is very gentle but effective ;)

30th do a big Water change and re-add salt.

1st do another big water change and add prazi and salt you took out with the water change.

4th do a huge water change add salt what you took out.

5th do a huge water change and add prazi and salt you took out.

8th do a huge water change and add salt

9th do a huge water change and add prazi and salt.

and so on and so forth till you have added prazi 6 times.

It sounds like they have a bad case of the flukes it takes time and the salt will help heal the fins ;)

I've done the 2nd water change, and the water and prazipro change. Still not looking any better. Both tails are more shredded than they were in the beginning, and now the first goldfish has some small black dots on the top of his head. I noticed them yesterday, but now they're much more noticeable and there might be a lump underneath the bunch of them. Is that part of flukes?

What are your water readings?

Also how much salt is in the tank?

Can you post some pictures and maybe a video?

Edited by MissColonel

Well I took about 11 and a half gallons of water out yesterday, so I put 11 teaspoons of salt back in plus whatever was already in there.

Readings (taken with test strips) are:

GH 0

KH 240+

PH 8 or 8.5

NO2 0

NO3 0

Here's a video too. It's very hard to see. They're just tiny little spots, but there's quite a few of them. Sorry about the vertical view too, wasn't thinking.

That is great on the water changes :) Also if we could know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate :) . I hate sounding like a broken record but the API master test kit would be very usefull and give you accurate readdings I love mine and it can make you feel like scientist too lol ;)

The spots on the head could be from another external parasite. You can try a salt bath, this will remove there slim coat and make treating for the external parasites easier to get to.

How to prep for a Salt bath:

We want the salt to be at 3% that would be 30 level teaspoons per gallon ( make sure all the salt is fully dissolved) The tempature and ph has to match the tank that they are currently staying in.

Once everything settled (dissolved salt and matching temp and ph) We can add the fish. You are going to have to watch him very closely. During a salt bath the fish can stay in there for a maximum of 5 minutes but it is ok if it is less than that :) Most of the time if it is their first time it will be under a minute. If you notice your fish can no longer stay up right and can't fix themselves up right take them out immediately.

If you have a holding tank with doulble prime that the fish can be placed for 1-2 hours before placing back to the main or QT tank that would be great. If not you can place them back into the main tank, just be sure to add double prime :)

Edited by MissColonel

I don't have something to test the ammonia. Nitrite and Nitrate are the NO2 and NO3. I'm working on getting a master test kit. I'll have to order one online to get it cheaper, and I won't have it until next week in that case.

I have several 5 gallon paint buckets that I use for changing the water. Could I fill one with 4 gallons and use that as a salt bath, then put him back in the tank? I have a 10 gallon tank that I don't use, but I literally have nowhere to set it up.

So all I would need to do is the salt bath, then put him back in the tank and carry on as normal?

Also, what do you mean by prime?

That is great on the water changes :) Also if we could know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate :) . I hate sounding like a broken record but the API master test kit would be very usefull and give you accurate readdings I love mine and it can make you feel like scientist too lol ;)

The spots on the head could be from another external parasite. You can try a salt bath, this will remove there slim coat and make treating for the external parasites easier to get to.

How to prep for a Salt bath:

We want the salt to be at 3% that would be 30 level teaspoons per gallon ( make sure all the salt is fully dissolved) The tempature and ph has to match the tank that they are currently staying in.

Once everything settled (dissolved salt and matching temp and ph) We can add the fish. You are going to have to watch him very closely. During a salt bath the fish can stay in there for a maximum of 5 minutes but it is ok if it is less than that :) Most of the time if it is their first time it will be under a minute. If you notice your fish can no longer stay up right and can't fix themselves up right take them out immediately.

If you have a holding tank with doulble prime that the fish can be placed for 1-2 hours before placing back to the main or QT tank that would be great. If not you can place them back into the main tank, just be sure to add double prime :)

Make sure to check your dosage recommendations ;)

0.3% salting is 3tsp per 1 gallon of aquarium water. 30 tsp per gallon is extremely high.

Depending on the type of prazi you have, you can only dose up to 0.1% with it during treatment.

0.3% salting is 3tsp per 1 gallon of aquarium water. 30 tsp per gallon is extremely high.

Depending on the type of prazi you have, you can only dose up to 0.1% with it during treatment.

Ah, I didn't even notice that. I knew what she meant though. Definitely would not have just thrown my poor fish into that much salt.

I'm using Aquarium Solutions brand prazipro. Is it ok to do the salt bath while in the middle of my treatment? I'm only on the 2nd of 6 rounds.

That is great on the master kit :)

That should be fine if you do put 4 gallons of water in the bucket you will need 140 level teaspoons of salt.

Yes you would put him in the salt bath and observe him closely and once he can no longer keep himself up right remove him imdeiately and place him in the tank. It is ok if he doesn't make it to the 5minutes.

Prime is a water conditionar that detoxifys ammonia and nitrite :) it also helps regenerate their slim coat ;)

Ah, I didn't even notice that. I knew what she meant though. Definitely would not have just thrown my poor fish into that much salt.

I'm using Aquarium Solutions brand prazipro. Is it ok to do the salt bath while in the middle of my treatment? I'm only on the 2nd of 6 rounds.

Salt baths are very high salinty to remove the slim coat and helps the treatment kill parasites that could be underneath the slim coat. I have talked to another Moderate and it is fine to do a salt bath in the middle of the treatment. Just remeber that the ph and tempature are the same in the salt bath as tank.

Salt baths are very high salinty to remove the slim coat and helps the treatment kill parasites that could be underneath the slim coat. I have talked to another Moderate and it is fine to do a salt bath in the middle of the treatment. Just remeber that the ph and tempature are the same in the salt bath as tank.

My apologies, I only read the dosage recommendation as it was for the prazi in the tank, not for a salt bath :)

Ok, so just to double check. 140 teaspoons of salt into the 4 gallons of water (hopefully that all dissolves). Then put twice the normal amount of prime into my regular tank and put the fish back in it. Isn't that too much? Also, can I use Top Fin brand conditioner instead of prime? This is all getting very costly for me between the prazipro, salt, water test kit, more prazipro, more salt, and now prime too.

I am sorry I ment 120 teaspoons my brain put 4 there since it was 4 gallons >_<.

We will also want to add prime to the salt bath aswell.

Prime is probley the one of best water conditionar out there it make harmful ammonia and nitrite safe for the fish and helps generate their slim coat which will be usefull since we will be removing the slim coat in the salt bath. Top fin unforantely only makes tap water safe for fish. Prime is like a little extra protection.

Help! I'm in the middle of treating my goldfish tank for flukes using prazipro and morton's canning and pickling salt. I did the 2nd round of prazipro 2 days ago and around the same time I noticed some small dark spots on top of one of my goldfish's heads. Now today I got home from work and he's very lethargic, just kind of floating around the tank, and the black spots are slightly bigger and it kind of looks like there's a lump underneath them. His tail is droopy and his body looks kind of odd (I don't know how to describe it, just doesn't look "full"). I just fed them and he's eating a bit (slowly though), so he's not completely out of it.

Here's my tank specs:

16 gallons (yes I know it's a bit small)

2 small goldfish, less than 2.5 inches (the 13 cent ones at the pet store) that are about 2 years old

1 pleco

The tank has been set up for roughly a year.

Filer is an aqua clear 30

Usually change the water every 2 weeks, about 4 gallons worth.

Test results from last night, using API test strips:

GH = 0

KH = 240+

PH =8 or 8.5

NO2 = 0

NO3 = 0

I don't have anything to test for ammonia.

Should I do a salt bath? That was recommended to me because of the black dots on his head. Please help! I don't know a whole lot about fish and I've had these little guys for 2 years, I don't want to lose them!

Ok, now this has kind of turned into an emergency situation. Goldfish number 1 (with the block spots) is very lethargic today and his tail is very droopy. He just kind of spaces out and floats around the tank. Should I do a salt bath? I've been reading a bit on them and it says for .3% of salt I would only use 3 teaspoons per gallon, not 30.

Salt baths are different, and have very high salinity to remove the slim coat. When doing a salt bath since they are such a high salinity we only allow them to stay 5min max or when the fish becomes un balenced. We treat 3% for salt baths. .3% salt would be for treating in the tank for ick or other external parasites. Although in your situtation we are only salting to .1% becuase this is where PraziPro is most effective. :) May I see a video of the fish in it's current state I want to see it's behavior before recommending the salt bath.

What he does at the beginning of the video is what he does most of the time right now. Whenever I get close to the tank he starts swimming around and coming up near me, so it's hard to get video of him candidly.

That is good that he perks up when you are near ;) by the way they are adorable! I am having a moderate take a look to see what would be the best course of action. You are doing a great job, heavy fluke investations can be tough.

Thank you! I think they're pretty cute too! It's not really abnormal for him to be spacey like he is, but his tail is very droopy and he kind of "waddles" instead of swims. Plus his dorsal fin is down most of the time now. Now he's just hanging out in the top back corner of the tank, not digging around or anything like the other one is. I would say he's looking worse while the other one (goldfish #2) is starting to look better.

• Admin

Are you treating the whole tank with Prazi?

If so we really do need to see what the ammonia is.

What is the ph out of the tap?