What is THE best Goldfish diet?

knoids

I am not asking; "What's the best goldfish pellet?" I am wondering what's THE best diet for your goldfish.

Is it veggies on Monday, Gel food on Tuesday, Omega-1/Hikari/Whatever-else sinking pellet on Wensday, Fruit on Thursday, bloodworms on Friday, and more gel food on Saturday and Sunday?

What do you feed your fish? Is it better to feed goldfish 2 or 3 or 4 or maybe even 5 times a day?

I'm not even talking about being realistic, just tell me the best way to feed goldfish!!!

I feed my goldfish 3 small meals per day, in the morning they get a few Omega one sinking pellets, the afternoon they get some progold, and at night they get spirulina pellets. My smallest however gets fed even smaller meals every few hours since I want to maximize his growth while he's still small, and he gets less omega one and more progold. A few times a week they get fresh fish (either tilapia, flounder, salmon, etc) which are just bits from my dinner haha and some greens, normally either peas or string beans.(but only the beans from inside the string beans) With this diet however they are being fed quite frequently and this will put out more waste so keep in mind that more feedings equate to more water changes! I feel that this is the best way to feed them because goldfish do not have stomaches and overfeeding in one large meal will cause the upper intestines to expand with food which is bad and can lead to many long term health issues, goldfish are naturally grazers and do best with small meals throughout the day so they can forage and maintain a natural eating pattern.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

I feed my goldfish 3 small meals per day, in the morning they get a few Omega one sinking pellets, the afternoon they get some progold, and at night they get spirulina pellets. My smallest however gets fed even smaller meals every few hours since I want to maximize his growth while he's still small, and he gets less omega one and more progold. A few times a week they get fresh fish (either tilapia, flounder, salmon, etc) which are just bits from my dinner haha and some greens, normally either peas or string beans.(but only the beans from inside the string beans) With this diet however they are being fed quite frequently and this will put out more waste so keep in mind that more feedings equate to more water changes! I feel that this is the best way to feed them because goldfish do not have stomaches and overfeeding in one large meal will cause the upper intestines to expand with food which is bad and can lead to many long term health issues, goldfish are naturally grazers and do best with small meals throughout the day so they can forage and maintain a natural eating pattern.

Cool! So it's true that goldfish don't have stomachs! It's good to know,(even though I don't have goldfish yet), about these things!

I kind of misspoke. They DO have a 'stomach' but it doesn't function in the way that our and most mammals do and it is more of a enlarged section of intestine, not at all a large pouch like ours that is designed to hold onto food and break it down, theres is just slightly larger overall in comparision to the rest of the intestinal tract.

I kind of misspoke. They DO have a 'stomach' but it doesn't function in the way that our and most mammals do and it is more of a enlarged section of intestine, not at all a large pouch like ours that is designed to hold onto food and break it down, theres is just slightly larger overall in comparision to the rest of the intestinal tract.

Ok, that makes sense! What else do you feed your goldfish? Or do you only feed fish pellets?

They actually don't have stomachs.

Ok, what?!

Well having done dissections on them they do have an area of upper intesine that could commonly be called a 'stomach'. In reality it is a slightly enlarged portion of the upper intestine. But again many people use the term 'stomach' where it doesn't apply as there are quite a few animals (annelids for example!) that only have a coelem and a tiny section of GI tract.

Well having done dissections on them they do have an area of upper intesine that could commonly be called a 'stomach'. In reality it is a slightly enlarged portion of the upper intestine. But again many people use the term 'stomach' where it doesn't apply as there are quite a few animals (annelids for example!) that only have a coelem and a tiny section of GI tract.

Goldfish, being a cyprinid, is a stomach-less fish, by definition.

Here are some relevant threads and sites :)

http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5738E/x5738e02.htm

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95895-is-it-true-that-goldfish-dont-have-stomachs/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45711-goldfish-do-they-or-dont-they-have-stomachs/

Well, in my opinion and experience a varied diet is the best. If you have a good staple pellet (everyone has different preferences about the brand), that makes about 30-50% of what I feed. And then in addition lots of vegetables and frozen foods. Once a week a fasting day is a good thing too :)

Yep. As everyone said variety is best and several small meals are generally better than 1 big meal bc of the way the digestive tract is set up.

I personally do 6 small meals most days. I feed primarily agar agar based gel food, along with a good quality pellet and lots of different veggies and occasionally fruit :)

Go with the varied diet. A couple of small meals would be good everyday, and 1 day of fasting per week. Like they said feeding veggies, gel food, good pellets and things like blood worms.

Wow, thanks for all of the advice! I was not expecting that somebody would actually feed goldfish more than 3 times a day! (I'm looking at you Tithra, you goldfish nut!) No, just kidding! Anyways, I also will remember the one day of fasting rule too. Thanks!!

ANY vegetable is good for goldfish, right? Is there any certain vegetable/fruit to avoid?

Edited by knoids

I feed my fish once a day with omega one flakes or occasionally pellets. I don't give them that much food, just a pinch for all three. Sometimes as a treat I'll give them bloodworms or the vegetables I'm cooking for dinner. Throughout the day they also graze on plants, algae and tiny worms/creatures that live in the gravel. IMO this is the best diet for them - and much of their food comes naturally instead of from flakes or pellets. So far with the way I've fed my goldfish, only a small amount once for twice a day, they've had no digestive, swim bladder, or floating problems. Feeding your fish lots of high protein food many times a day will make them grow much larger, faster, and brighter, but this can also reduce the lifespan of the animal, even if they appear healthy most of the time.

Any vegetable should be fine in small amounts. Some people had problems with broccoli causing floating but that hasn't happened to me. Also, there is a concern that spinach could inhibit calcium intake in large quantities, but it also contains calcium so that helps and as long as it's in moderation it should be fine.

Edited by Calluna

The best diet for goldfish is what they find in a healthy established pond. A lawn of algae and the things that eat algae for them to graze on all day long, some nice bugs and worms to dig for in the bottom, floating plants to nibble on, and some nice frog eggs and tadpoles for a chewy treat. They really don't have a requirement for wheat and soy products.

I read a paper describing research on the relationship between the number of meals and goldfish growth, using the same total amount of food per day.

The Influence of Feeding Frequency on Growth and Body Condition of the Common Goldfish (Carassius auratus)

Priestley, Steven M; Stevenson, Abigail E; Alexander, Lucille G. Journal of Nutritionspacer.gif136. 7spacer.gif (Jul 2006): 1979S-1981S.

They mentioned this:

"Currently there appear to be no data available that directly relates feeding frequency to growth and efficiency of food utilization in the Common Goldfish (Carassius auratus). However, the closely related subspecies, Gibel Carp (Carassius auratus gibelio), exhibited significant increases in growth rate and feed efficiency when feeding frequency increased from 2 to 3, 4, 12, and 24 feedings/d, with the authors recommending an optimal feeding frequency of 24 meals/d for this species (7). However, fish were juvenile and fed to satiation, confirming that feeding frequency in part is a function of fish size, with larval and juvenile fish needing to eat more frequently because of their high energy demands. "

But in their research they looked at four-year-old goldfish, fed to less than satiation. :idont I have no idea why they didn't start by repeating the experiment don't with the gibel carp and determine if the wild and domesticated goldfish behaved the same way. Anyway, they divided the food into 1, 2, 4, or 6 meals a day, and got the maximum growth at 4 meals per day. But their day was 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Then they claimed an average growth of 1cm in 8 weeks. That's amazing growth for a mature fish. Frankly, I don't believe their results, and the experimental design is poor anyway.

The results on the gibel carp are the best data I've seen so far, so feed your fishies once an hour around the clock to get the best growth. :clapping: Actually some people who are growing out young fish (particularly koi) as show prospects practically do that, using an automatic feeder to provide the food.

I

The best diet for goldfish is what they find in a healthy established pond. A lawn of algae and the things that eat algae for them to graze on all day long, some nice bugs and worms to dig for in the bottom, floating plants to nibble on, and some nice frog eggs and tadpoles for a chewy treat. They really don't have a requirement for wheat and soy products.

Exactly! Unfortunately I don't have a pond but I try to keep my tank as pond like as possible. At least I now have an excuse for why my tank looks like a "lawn of algae!"

I use Hikari Lionhead Pellets, I recently posted pictures of my goldfish and they have all been fed on these pellets. This should be combined with peas and other green food to maintain healthy goldfish. You should try to avoid floating pellets as they can cause problems with goldfish bladders and the occasional food free day can be helpful. Paul

My Saki-Hikari pellets I use is a sinking type pellet, and it has in oxygen absorber in there which great decreases the chance for swimming bladder disorder

My Saki-Hikari pellets I use is a sinking type pellet, and it has in oxygen absorber in there which great decreases the chance for swimming bladder disorder

What is this oxygen absorber that you speak of, and how does it decrease the chance for SBD? Please clarify, because this makes absolutely no sense to me.

You also asked good fruits and veggies, here's a list of fruits and veggies from a while ago. :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/goldfish-food/best-fresh-fruits-and-veggies-for-my-orandas-r253

You also asked good fruits and veggies, here's a list of fruits and veggies from a while ago. :)http://www.kokosgold...my-orandas-r253

Thanks, I saw this list before, but I don't quite get what the post means. Are the foods higher on the list safer (less sugar) and the lower the food is, the less of it you feed it?

Edited by knoids

You also asked good fruits and veggies, here's a list of fruits and veggies from a while ago. :)http://www.kokosgold...my-orandas-r253

Thanks, I saw this list before, but I don't quite get what the post means. Are the foods higher on the list safer (less sugar) and the lower the food is, the less of it you feed it?

The higher ones have more sugar I think. ( someone please correct me if I'm wrong) The ones on top you feed less or none at all. :)

Edited by Golden fishy

Golden fishy is correct! :)

The list is ordered from highest sugar content to lowest. You would want to avoid those things high on the list, feed very sparingly those in the moderate zone, but really should stick with those in the low sugar range, which would be the ones on the bottom of that list.

Golden fishy is correct! :)

The list is ordered from highest sugar content to lowest. You would want to avoid those things high on the list, feed very sparingly those in the moderate zone, but really should stick with those in the low sugar range, which would be the ones on the bottom of that list.

Ok, cool! I was wondering how in the world dates had low sugar content!

Another question about the list:

All of these foods listed on the list are fish safe-right? For example, Onions are fine to feed fish?