Tadpoles from Petco?

wteoh1

Hey guys, I went to another Petco location today at Chicago while I was at a great restuarant, they was a Petco right next to it so I decided to go there and check it out. Its the BIGGEST Petco I ever seen, more fish, moer supplies, and a hundred Betta cups!

I saw a Tadpole in the fish section and I decided it looked nice. I was interested, and I wonder if they are compatible with Goldfish. Are they really compatible? Any pros, cons?

It just said tadpole on the label. No and it was black, brown. Are they still compatible until at teh point you need to take it out of the tank?

Agreed, highly likely a bullfrog tadpole. While it may be compatible with goldfish for the time being, keep in mind it is going to become a frog and will need a vastly different environment. At that time goldfish will also be on the menu.

Bull frogs are very messy captives and an extremely invasive species.

this is the kind of tadpole I am talking about. Do they produce alot of waste? What can I feed them with? Whens is the right time to take it out?

this is the kind of tadpole I am talking about. Do they produce alot of waste? What can I feed them with? Whens is the right time to take it out?

That is a Bullfrog.

Edited by eddie1973

To add to this, I won't support stores that do this kind of thing. There is basically a 99% chance that the tadpoles in fact came in with the goldfish and they are selling them without regard to species impact on local wildlife. How irresponsible to be selling possibly invasive species without any knowledge of what it is. How can you even hope to properly advise customers to care?

Do not impulse buy a tadpole because 'it looks nice'. If you are interested in frogs, research species you will be able to keep properly for their whole lifespan and go from there. They are rewarding critters to keep, but you will have to set up their own habitat.

That tank is a disaster and completely over-stocked.

Yes, the produce a lot of waste and grow quickly.

You don't 'take them out'. They need to be provided an environment that suits their needs as they grow...a combination tank with spots that they can use to pull themselves out of the water to breathe and rest as they transform. When they are fully small frogs, they can be housed in an adult-suited environment.

That tank is a disaster and completely over-stocked.

Yes, the produce a lot of waste and grow quickly.

You don't 'take them out'. They need to be provided an environment that suits their needs as they grow...a combination tank with spots that they can use to pull themselves out of the water to breathe and rest as they transform. When they are fully small frogs, they can be housed in an adult-suited environment.

It is really overstocked and goldfish aren't compatible with the fish in that tank. I have a 60 Gallon with two Fancy Goldfish and 1 Bristlenose Pleco. I was just interested about them, but as what you said earlier, I might as well not get them.

Don't be discouraged against having frogs as pets though. There are tons that make better captives, and you can support someone who is producing and selling ethically, as well as find species that suit what you are capable of providing.

Well I'll think that I'll probably stop buying anymore fish since each of them need care, which makes it harder. I hate to say this but I'll probably buy another Goldfish or another fish if one of my Goldfish tank mate's has a casualty but that would be in a very long time. I'm happy of what I have right now :)

I don't think you were looking at the long term of a tadpole. xD

That tadpole won't always be in the tank with those fish. In a matter of a few month tops you would have a juvenile frog to contend with. Which needs it's own vivarium with high humidity, plants, substrate. At first you would be buying it a specialized diet of pinhead crickets and fruit flies, and after that slowly graduating it up to larger crickets, mealworms and superworms. Then superworms and locusts and possibly dubia roaches if it's a bullfrog.

I raised three toads from tadpoles, and trust me it can be difficult. Providing the ever changing environment needed as they age. fun, but challenging.

So if you consider it int he future you should do a bunch of research, and make a good decision on what kind of frog you'd want. I, personally, love bullfrogs. xD

Here are my few words of wisdom:

Bullfrogs suck

Hey now, they do not! Bullfrogs are wonderful pets, I know from personal experience. Sorry if you've had some bad ones, but you can't put other people off because of it. xD

Don't be discouraged against having frogs as pets though. There are tons that make better captives, and you can support someone who is producing and selling ethically, as well as find species that suit what you are capable of providing.

Ok off topic:

Niffarious, is that an Axolotls in your pic? Do you keep one with you goldfish?

Edited by Ridewithme38

Here are my few words of wisdom:

Bullfrogs suck

Hey now, they do not! Bullfrogs are wonderful pets, I know from personal experience. Sorry if you've had some bad ones, but you can't put other people off because of it. xD

I just meant because they are such an invasive species! I am sure that they make a great pet.

Ok off topic:

Niffarious, is that an Axolotls in your pic? Do you keep one with you goldfish?

Nope, their diets and care requirements are far too different, and both species would stress each other out. To add to this, axolotls are prone to catching bacterial infections from goldfish.

the thing is they need land and water. and they get to be over a 1 foot long with out legs add other 1 food long then you have a nice size bull frog. We have them in the wild of Louisiana. I have seen same mass ones.