My tank is now nearly cycled and i want to start the search for a new little cutie. I have a 30 gallon tank and haave decided because of the size that i'd like to stick with one goldfish. But i would still like for him to have some company and was wondering what would be best. I have seen a few people keep plecos, but i know that it can have it's downsides. If you guys could make some suggestions i would greatly appreciate it! :)

My new favorites:

Nerite snails. They are so much fun to have around, and are quite hardy!

Bristlenose plecos. Just make sure they have lots of food, too! :)

One or two goldfish and a snail would work. Also since petco is having 1$ per gallon sale so it's best to just go and upgrade now. Then you could just move the filters over and put on another to cycle with it and you have a cycled tank already to go!

I have a Plec in with 4 Common Goldies and I swear he makes more waste by himself than ALL 4 fish combined!!.

Get a 40B from Petco while the $1 a gallon sale is on and get two goldfish. Goldfish want goldfish for friends.

this is a great idea :) the 40 breeder is a great size for two goldies ;)

My tank is now nearly cycled and i want to start the search for a new little cutie. I have a 30 gallon tank and haave decided because of the size that i'd like to stick with one goldfish. But i would still like for him to have some company and was wondering what would be best. I have seen a few people keep plecos, but i know that it can have it's downsides. If you guys could make some suggestions i would greatly appreciate it! :)

That's great!! I suggest probably if you can, get a tank a lil larger for an additional fish (pleco). Be careful on the plecos you choose, common is definitely not an option because its has a huge chance on going on ur goldfish slimecoat and they get to a huge 20 inches. I had an experience about two common plecos that sucked on my Goldfish around 2005. I ended up having a couple goldfish casualties (my knowledge was severely limited) Try Bristlenose or Rubberlip plecos. Put Driftwood (usually arnd $5-10) on your list if you decide since plecos like to suck on it and the fiber is healthy for them and their digestion. Both pleco species grow up to a mere 5 inches.

Right now, I have 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco for about two months now and 2 Fancy Goldfish in a 60 Gal and its doing excellent. They were all in a small 10 Gal for 7 months until I recently upgrade 2-3 weeks ago.

If you do get ur bristlenose or rubberlip pleco, feed it with cucumbers or zucchini. Hikari Algae Wafers didnt work for me, but on very rare occasions they were such incidents on sucking on slimecoats.

Great job on cycling your tank though, almost there. My tank just started the nitrogen cycle, my ammonia went up to 0.25ppm but suddenly disappeared due to heavily planted aquarium. My Betta is his 10 Gallon heavily planted too yet I got him 8 days ago no signs of ammonia.

Edited by wteoh1

Thanks everybody. Unfortunately I don't have the money to upgrade right now, not only the tank but I'd have to upgrade my filters and find another stand to put the tank on. :( I don't want to keep my fish improperly, but I was hoping he would be happy so long as there was another fish in there. I will either have to wait or he/she will have a non-goldfish buddy for awhile until I can afford to upgrade. I appreciate all your suggestions and I'll let you know what I choose to do!

If you do get ur bristlenose or rubberlip pleco, feed it with cucumbers or zucchini. Hikari Algae Wafers didnt work for me, but on very rare occasions they were such incidents on sucking on slimecoats.

Great job on cycling your tank though, almost there. My tank just started the nitrogen cycle, my ammonia went up to 0.25ppm but suddenly disappeared due to heavily planted aquarium. My Betta is his 10 Gallon heavily planted too yet I got him 8 days ago no signs of ammonia.

Thank you! It took me about 3 months. Talk about a test of patience! I hope everything goes well with your Betta regardless of not seeing ammonia. Hopefully your plants are doing just that good of a job! :)

^ agreed. You can definitely have two fancies in a 30 for quite awhile (as they grow you'll likely find you need to upgrade, but that will take awhile if you get juvenile fish), or you could do one fancy and one bristlenose/rubbernose pleco in the 30, or I think you could even get away with one fancy and 2 dojo/weather loaches (they need to be kept in pairs), or you could even just get a couple apple snails to go with the 1 fancy (they are really fun to watch).

Keep us updated on what you decide!

Whatever you do, do not get the common pleco, they grow to a foot within a year and there are some on record for being 20-22." A fancy's minimum tank requirements are 10 gallons, but the common plecos are 55 gallons. So far I have never seen any other than the common pleco being sold in my local stores so I would definitely ask around before heading out. I'm with the others on here, two fancies in a 30 isn't bad at all. If you can get your hands on a zebra nerite they are pretty cool, but again no one sells em around here. I special ordered nerite snails and they came up with olive nerites which I found to be quite unattractive. When getting a snail there are certain kh/gh/ph requirements. If memory serves they need hard water and high ph. If you got soft water and low ph then khuli loaches are the cutest imo.

I have decided to go with two with the agreement that I will get a bigger tank for Christmas so they won't have to wait too long! I'm still interested in getting some snails and will be making a trip to an aquatic store near me once the two new guys finish their quarantine process. Thanks for all your help! I posted some pictures in a new thread if you'd like to see them. :)

When getting a snail there are certain kh/gh/ph requirements. If memory serves they need hard water and high ph. If you got soft water and low ph then khuli loaches are the cutest imo.

This actually works perfectly for the snails since i have both high ph and very hard water! :P