Sign in to follow this  
Lola_Granola

My Poor Leroy Has Dropsy

Hi you guys. It's been ages (need to come more often so I can stop saying that!)...

So, Leroy has been floaty for a while. Not badly, but I've noticed it when I fed him soaked food he would float a bit more. I changed his food up a bit, adding more fresh veggies and he seemed to improve.

Fast forward to a water change (params have been consistent and great) before we went camping in the mountains (just lovely by the way), fed them and wished them a peaceful 3 days and went on our way. When I returned, I found him stuck to a filter intake, fins shredded and black at the ends, a large red (what I can only assume was a hematoma from the suction?) spot and black areas under his belly. I very nearly cried. Scout also noticed a red area within his wen, so I'm afraid this is fully systemic. My little one couldn't sleep tonight from worry about our little friend.

I did a large water change, checked params (still great) and put him in a little mesh box used for breeding I borrowed from a neighbor to help him stay afloat and less stressed. I also added salt to .1%. I came home from work tonight to find him pineconing. : ( I did another large WC to remove the salt as I've read it can increase edema.

Nothing in my tank has changed. Still using my two AC 50's with my air pump. No fluctuations in cycle...

I can't set up the hospital tank until I get the filter insert for my spare filter tomorrow. I've never had to treat this, but have always watched and read as others have battled this blight. To be honest you guys, I'm worried! My plan is to start MM's and to read up on Epsom salts. I'm also going to test our water for chlorine before and after adding prime to see if that may be a causative factor.

Thankfully Herman is just fine so far. I'm hoping this is isolated.

Any advise is very welcome!

Hi Lola,

I'm sorry Leroy is not doing well. I understand that you said that there is no filter insert for the spare filter, but it's actually not needed. Could you go ahead and set up the QT tub, and run the filter, but without the media? The only purpose of this is to create splash and surface agitation, so as to facilitate gas exchange. Daily 100% WCs is part of the recommended routine for treatment anyway, so there won't be any appreciable build up of nitrogenous toxins to worry about. Not having a cycled filter in this case is best actually :)

This is what I would like to suggest:

1. Take pics of Leroy. I would like to see all the affect areas, including the eyes, the wen redness, and the extent of the pineconing. I'm particularly worried about the wen issue, because if that's how this how thing started (infection through wen becoming systemic), then we will have to take care of the wen to stem the tide of infection.

2. Heat the QT tub to 80 degrees.

3. Add Epsom to 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water.

4. Double the dosage of Prime. This should be done every time you perform WC.

5. Weigh Leroy. It's very clear that success in treatment requires that he eats at least 1% of his body weight in Metro-Meds daily. So we'll need to know how much he weighs to recommend the correct amount of MMs. A kitchen scale is perfect for weighing.

6. Daily WCs of 100%, at least once. Temp and pH needs to matched, and Epsom added back.

Thank you so much for your speedy and kind reply!!

I did just as you said, I went ahead and set him in his hospital tank at 80 degrees (their tank usually hangs around 78), doubled the Prime and dosed it with epsom salts. We plan to go get the MM's in the morning. I weighed him and be is 1.5 oz. I will get pictures posted in the morning. I took a few, but will have to get to my PC to load them. He looks so bad I'm almost embarrassed to post them!!!

I shudder to think how long he was stuck to that filter intake! I could cry at the idea!

I must admit, I've been very lucky up to this point. My boys have been healthy and happy. I've only ever owned these two, and the idea of losing one is very tough.

I went ahead and covered the intake with a mesh bag, going on the advise of a friend. Not sure if that makes it safer for him really. I have the filter dialed down to its lowest setting to avoid too much current for him.

Fingers crossed for a swimming friend in the morning!

Please don't be embarrassed. I think all of us have been in similar situations. Convering the intake is a good idea; alternately, you could dispense with the filter altogether and use airstones, if you deem that he is too weak, and could get stuck. The major advantage to daily 100% WC is that you don't need a filter at all and just need to make sure his tub is well aerated. :)

Oh I am so sorry :(

I agree about turning off the filter. Blondie has no filter in her 30gal tub and I just do almost daily water changes. She has been doing great this way.

MMs you have to get them at goldfish connection. Hopefully they can rush order them.

Great to have you back! Even if for bad reasons! Btw-I'm getting married!!!!!!!

Hi Lady! Warmest heartfelt congratulations and best wishes!!

So Leroy already looks better this morning. His scales are not as raised, and it looks as if he is more spry. He is still eating very well, and is holding his own in his hospital tank. I'm going to get another bubbler for the tank and take the filter down when I go to our LFS and nab more Prime and have a nice look at all of the fish with Little B.

I had forgotten MM's came from GC! Made the order first thing. Thankfully they are only 6 hours by car from here, so here's hoping they get here quick!

I have one picture from the first morning of his spots on his belly while in the net box. The others are from this morning. Sorry for the poor quality. iPhotos all (my good camera is still packed with the camping gear!).

042.jpg

046-2.jpg

047.jpg

048-1.jpg

I sure am hoping he's going to feel better soon! His internal organs looked dark enough to see last night when I went to bed, but don't look near as bad this morning. Also his abdomen is no longer red, and the black areas are fading there.

Thanks so much for your help you guys! I'm a bad Kokonut for not coming and playing for so long, and showing up now with a sick friend!!!

Leroy doesn't look too bad, and he's in great hands. Good luck, and let us know when the MMs arrive. :)

I wish my fish with dropsy looked as good as yours! Great job on catching it quickly. Your in GREAT hands on this forum! Good luck and speedy recovery :)

Thanks so much you guys! Perhaps (fingers crossed) I did catch it early! I suppose since this is the worst state I've ever had a fish in, I freaked out a bit. :)

The Epsom salts have him pooing like a goose that is for certain! Perhaps this helps to remove extra toxins and force fluids from the interstitial spaces? (Sorry, old ICU nurse and nerd here!)

I'll weigh him again when the MM's arrive. Should I be doing this daily as a way of monitoring like we do for humans?

He's swimming around much better already, less floaty and going for gel food like a shark, so we've got that going for us!

Thanks again!

I don't think he needs to be weighed daily, and I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to do it.

The reason for the weighing is that like humans, they need to consume a certain amount of meds per unit of weight, and this turns out to be 1% of their weight in medicated food daily, at least where Metro-Meds, Medi-Gold, and the Jungle brand foods are concerned. :)

I'm really glad he's doing so well. Epsom is amazing when used appropriately :)

I thought I would post a video so you guys could see how he looks now. Seems there is some redness behind the gills and deep within his wen. Were the hematoma was in his "chest" area is now black. I also notice more black areas on his sides.

Sorry if the video is not very clear. I shot it through the plastic tub I use for our hospital tank (12 gallon "Rough Neck" storage container). And for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a video clip within a post! Gah! smile-thaxblush.gif

My Video Linky

He's looking really good, actually, and while that wen spot may be something worrying, I think that the MMs will take care of that easily.

It doesn't even look like he is pineconed anymore :)

That makes me feel better to be sure! I think I may be viewing his symptoms as a worrying mother! Very ready for his MM's to arrive. And I, too, am most pleased at his lack of pine coning (may it go away forever!).

Well, MM's came this afternoon! We weighed Leroy and he is 40 grams.

Hello :)

That's sixteen pellets a day, which is quite a bit, so if you could break it down into 4-6 meals daily, it will be much better :)

How is Leroy doing?

Thanks Alex!

Sorry for the drive by message earlier, I had exactly 5 minutes before I had to run out of the door for our next activity of the day.

Leroy is still swimming and eating ok. The redness in his gill areas is about the same, but the black areas around his "chest" are darker.

Let's just say, I'm super glad the MM's came and in and super thankful to have you on our team! Yay-2.png

I lobbed a few soaked pellets his way after counting out the sixteen and out the door we ran!

Thanks again!

Here's a video from today. You can see Leroy is much more speedy. I have noticed that he has lost a lot of weight from looking back at old photos from my blog. I'm not sure if you can see through the tub, but there is a depression in the central front part of his wen, and I'm wondering if I was dealing with a Hole in the Head type of bacterial infection. I feel so sad that I didn't notice his weight loss. It was very gradual.

Ah well. I'm taking the right steps now.

Oh and we were cleaning today, listening to the radio and being silly...so that's our soundtrack. Fancy huh?

th_b71fc2f2.jpg

(No child was harmed during the making of this video by running into her mother's iPhone.)

Leroy is definitely looking very good, and I think the Jumpstart etc. after the treatment will fatten him up in no time. To put him a steady (not fast) growth program, I would recommend giving 0.75% of his body weight daily in good, nutritious food. :)

Herman was looking extremely proud of the tank in the video! :D

So nice to have you back, Lola! You have been missed. It looks like they are hanging in there after all of the upset. These fish love to make our lives hard.

Thanks so much you guys!

Amy, I missed you guys too!!

So I was thinking, Wednesday was a week of MM's. Should I do a 14 day course of treatment, or do you guys think longer is warranted? The Jump Start should be here tomorrow, so I'll re-weigh him and feed 0.75% as suggested when the MM's are complete.

I suspect he'd be happier in the main tank, but am more than willing to keep his tail in the hospital tub longer if need be!

Do you remember when after treatment did his scales become flat again, and when the wen issues disappeared? I usually like to go for one week after that day, or 14 days, whichever one is longer. :)