Sign in to follow this  
Bluefish

Making floating med food sink

Hi guys,

My goldies are having an internal parasite issue (http://www.kokosgold...__fromsearch__1). I'm just starting to feed them the Jungle antiparasite food this morning (thanks again teh_Kibbster for getting me some!). However the food floats and my goldies who are used to gel food are having trouble finding it (my eyesight problem goldie doesn't even notice it). Is there a way to make the food sink? Could I mix it into my gel food somehow? Thanks!

P.S. Not sure if this should go here or D&D- mods feel free to move if in the wrong spot :D

Those pellets are very annoying lol. You could soak it for about about 10 seconds, and then squeeze the air out of each individual pellet.

Is there a way to make the food sink? Could I mix it into my gel food somehow? Thanks!

You can use the soak-and-squeeze method above (don't soak the food too long, as all the meds will leach out -- the 10 seconds Alex recommended is good). But yes, adding the pellets to gel food could also help to make it sink. I wouldn't use too many other ingredients, so the fish get mostly the medicated food -- maybe a little thawed frozen brine shrimp or daphnia to make the gel food enticing.

Hi, I tried soaking the pellets for 10 secs, but found it didn't really soften them much (maybe I just have weak fingers? lol or perhaps I need to squeeze harder)..wasn't until maybe 20 sec that I found them soft enough to squeeze..I guess if its mushy then the meds have leached out? Pouring the soaked pellets them in after 10 sec pushes the pellets down enough for the goldies to notice- but that still leaves the eyesight problem goldie unable to find it.

Hmm..should I give it another try or time to try putting it gelfood?

Edited by Bluefish

You can do either :)

lol thanks dnalex. I'll try a test batch of gel food and see how it goes. Btw, would I need to crush the pellets or just add them as they are? I'm thinking just the pellets but thought I'd doublecheck, thanks.