New Ranchu, also Pants and a snail

I got a new ranchu from Dandy Orandas. He's all done QT and been in the tank for a little bit now. I was worried at first how Pants would react because she can be a bit of a bully and had been on her own, but he is rather a bit larger than her. She was decidedly NOT thrilled at first, but has apparently gotten over it as they've spawned the last two mornings. So, without further ado, Pants' new boyfriend, Speak (after The Tick's pet capybara):

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

One of Pants being horrified by her new roommate:

Untitled-3.jpg

And one of their pet rabbit[snail]s:

Untitled-2.jpg

thanks! At first Pants would push him around the tank, but when he got sick of it, he could (and did) literally flip her over. They still insist on bonking into each other all the time in spite of having plenty of room.

There were 40+ eggs stuck about the tank this morning, though most have gone missing now. I'm not currently putting any effort into growing out the eggs, but happy to know they're getting on. Pants got a couple scratches on her scales, but no real injuries or torn fins on either of them, otherwise.

Drowsy, it's a rabbit snail, also known as Poso or Sulawesi. Technically a tropical that likes 80+ degree water. Not something I would normally suggest with goldies, but some of this species are not plant friendly and my other tank is planted as well as home to a breeding colony of assassin snails who may or may not be interested in eating rabbits. Although, my goldfish tank regularly sits at 78-82 degrees, depending, so they certainly aren't suffering from low temperatures.

Oh my gosh, I love your fish! They are so beautiful!

And your pictures are amazing, what kind of camera do you have? I have the worst time trying to get decent pictures of my fish and have somewhat of a nice camera. :/

ETA: Your tank looks really nice too! Do you have any pictures of the whole thing? I am curious to see the background...

Edited by Thea

Here's an older cell phone picture, it's more or less what the tank looked like until they ripped up all the plants spawning. the background is 3D, plastic with crushed stone coating

pants.jpg

I use a Nikon D70, but even with a decent camera, the water refracts so much light that I have to add a second fixture to get clear images.

WOW Speak is absolutely stunning!!.

Love how your tank looks. :)

Thanks again, everyone!

Serge, I did not, although it is very possible to make 3D backgrounds, and many people do. You could probably find an easy tutorial online. My boyfriend got this one for me at an aquarium society auction, but I have seen its like at some of the local independent shops that specialize in fish, as well as online.