Oranda lathergic in corner nose down

Batto

• * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) lost the colour card but it looks good a light golden brown colour prob around 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drpos
  • * Water temperature? 25 degrees
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 152L 3 years
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval cansiter 350
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? approx every 10 days 60-75%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Oranda, Ranchu both apporx 15cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? sachem prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily not sure of the feed in morning specially formulated by fish shop, in the evening peas
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Prazi/ salt approx 3 months ago (both fish), ranchu treated for bacterial infection in QT - metrogyl and epsom salts
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No a couple of white spots on wen but I have seen these before and believe it to be wen growth
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Yes both fish (especially Oranda is staying at the bottom corner seems very lethargic does flash

Hi

My Oranda's behavior is causing me concern, I arrived home from work this evening and found him nose down in the corner of the tank very still like he was sleeping however as I observe my fish alot I know that this is not his usual behavior. I've checked on him periodically over the last few hours and apart from the occasional erratic swim he stays in the corner and looks quite sad. Unfortunately my ranchu who is a bit livelier has decided to join him now in the corner.

He has shown this kind of behavior before so I treated the tank with Prazi earlier in the year and had success here is the link

http://www.kokosgold...ng-on-his-side/

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks Oerba

Here it is

Nitrate - 5.0

Tap Ph - high - dark purple

:no: Both of them are seriously huddled in a corner now and haven't moved all night I'm really staring to worry

• Supporter

hun, check reports online for any burst waterpipes in your area due to the tremors we had yesterday. what time was it yesterday that you changed water? i would do two super water changes right now matching temps and PH.. make them 60% each...

every time you replace the water, raise the temp by a few degrees.. bring them up to 28C.

• Admin

If the tank is one color and the Tap is another, we might have a problem...We need to figure this out. Try and see if you can get it tested at a LFS so you can get the exact numbers.

Good point Helen I changed the water at 4 pm Tuesday. Have to go to work now, but I will WC as soon as I walk in the door this arvo. I have turned the light on and they have come from their corner expecting food and swimming a little in the last 30 mins. Koko I need an education here if the tank PH is fine why should it matter what the tap PH is high? I'll try and find the missing PH card and double check the readings this arvo. Thanks guys

Edited by salvo

• Admin

Cause depending on how much it is dropping everytime you do a water change. If the tap is higher and your tank goes lower, this can cause a ph crash. Thats why Im worried :(

Thanks Koko - I doubled checked tap ph yesterday it's the same colour as the tank ph around 7.5, pays to double check I suppose! Fish are doing alot better swimming around, eating well etc. Melbourne had an earth tremor on Tuesday and I do wonder how this affects fish? The other thing I forgot to mention was I failed to turn the heater back on after the water change (left off for 8 hours) so there was a drop in temperature I wonder if this upset them? Thanks for your advice guys I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Edited by salvo

• Supporter

goldfish get frightened with vibrations and loud noises. that's why during thunderstorms, a fish that eggbound will most likely expell eggs during that thunderstorm mostly from fright. other fish tend to huddle or dart as a knee jerk reaction.

another reason why they could have huddled is temps close to or below 20C.

glad to hear things are looking better for them.

Thanks Helen! ;) Good info

If huddling was their normal behavior (like my guinea pigs) then I would have thought it quite sweet.

Everything is back to normal - hope your babies are well x