Sign in to follow this  
bmblsad

Red streaks in tail fins

• * Ammonia Level = 0
  • * Nitrite Level = 0
  • * Nitrate level = 10
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 8.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.2 then rises to 8.4 after aerating
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 73.6
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 15g, 1.5 yrs
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 70%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fancy tail GF about 3 inches long + tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Progold, but has been eating Metromeds since 5/24 b/c of dropsy episode
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Not since 5/29
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

5/9 Noticed tiny bump on right side.

5/13 Started bottom sitting

5/19 Cyst broke, salted to 0.1%

5/20 Salted to 0.2%

5/21 Started pineconing, did massive water change and then added epsom salts

5/22 Gave one dose of API General Cure (combo of metro and prazi), continued epsom

5/23 Switched to Metro+, continued epsom

5/24 Appetite returned, started feeding Metromeds, continued Metro+ and epsom

5/29 Discontinued epsom and Metro+, continued Metromeds; will continue metromeds until 6/24

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

6/11: noticed slight darkening of very edges of tail fins, a little bit of raggedness on edges of tail fins and on dorsal fin. Searched Kokos and found references to salting possibly being the cause. Darkening started to disappear.

6/17: red streaks appeared in center of tail fins

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Behavior is pretty normal for this rather sickly fish

So as you can see from above, we recently went through an episode of dropsy and I'm still feeding Metromeds. The water parameters are fine, his behavior is good (for him), so why the sudden appearance of the red streaks? I will be doing a large water change tonight. Because of his recent dropsy, I'm thinking I should not salt the tank. Should I be doing anything else?

Unfortunately, I have to go our of town tomorrow for 3 days so the DH will be in charge.

This can happen when the fish has been medicated for some while, including with antibiotics and salt. This is something that will improve and/or go away once medication has been stopped. You can help things along by adding in extra WCs :)

Phew! I was thinking, "for crying out loud - what now?!?!" Definitely didn't want him getting sick with me heading out of town. I will finish my WC tonight, and then do one more before I head out of town tomorrow and then another as soon as I get back. Thanks for the quick response. Youse guys are wonderful!