Sign in to follow this  
Sweetmochi

Blackmoor Dying?

Also would be great if you could provide some advice on the water changes. I have been doing 60-70% water changes daily and what I noticed is that even after I change the water, the parameters seem to stay at:

Ammonia - 0.25 to 0.5ppm

Nitrite - 0.25ppm

Nitrate - 5.0ppm

PH - 7.0 to 7.4

So basically they are all at "second-best" levels even after the big water changes, except for PH. Do I need to do a 100% water change? Won't this shock Blackie as the new water normally doesn't get time to cycle at all. I normally just take Blackie out onto a tiny container, take out 70% water, add new water, add Prime, and wait 10 mins or so before putting Blackie back in. Am I doing the right thing?

:idont

Hello, how is her appetite? Would you mind posting your parameters again for me? Thanks! :)

Last water test results for bucket water:

PH - 7

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm

Nitrite - 0.25 ppm

(We added in Prime due to the above results).

Nitrate - 0ppmit

Brand of test kit - API Freshwater Master Test Kit (drops)

UV Filter - UView Aquarium Purifier for aquariums up to 200 liters, with 9 watts UV lamp

Hope this helps...

Try shaking the test after you have made the test and after shake let settle for 5 mins

I live in good ol tassie and it is FREEZING and the car froze over yesterday and it made me late for an exzam I had to do today

Hey Alex :) Thanks for checking in. We did a 70% water change last night and the parameters this morning are:

PH = 7.6

Ammonia = 0.5ppm

Nitrite = 0.5ppm

Nitrate = approx. 2-3ppm (not quite 0 but less than 5)

We can't seem to get the Ammonia and Nitrites/Nitrates to 0 and am worried that if we do a full water change it will shock Blackie too much. As it is she probably is getting shocked by daily massive water changes..

Her appetite is quite good though. She is eating the prescribed amount of medicated gelfood (approx. 0.7 grams) every morning. As she is still on her side we are hand feeding her.

You will need to do back to back 90% WCs, or one 100% one, because all those toxins are not good for the sick fish! As long as the temp and pH are matching, it will be fine!

Got it...doing 100% water change now. I suppose we were just worried about "shocking" her but I guess dirty water is so much worse. Thanks Alex.

As long as you match temp and pH (and alkalinity), there isn't much of a shock. Even if there were, it's outweighed by the benefits of clean water.

How is everything today?

Blackie still ate her gelfood. She looks pretty much the same as that photo I posted 22nd June. Looking at her she doesn't seem pineconed from some angles, and seems very slightly pineconed from others. She is active in terms of fin movement (we like to think of this as her "trying" to swim) but unfortunately is still on her side at the bottom of the bucket. Does this mean she has bad swim bladder as well?

I don't necessarily think that she has swim bladder issues, but we can't rule that out at the moment either.

Is there Epsom in the tank?

Yes there is Epsom still. I actually started using it last 17th June so today will be her 8th day of treatment. Helen said I can't exceed 8 days. What do we do tomorrow? Do we just leave the existing Epsom in the water? Or pour it all out and do a 100% water change?

Tomorrow let's do another 100% WC, and let's not replace the Epsom. We'll see how she does after that.

We are stopping Epsom because prolonged treatment could lead to anemia.

How's your poor Goldfish doing? I'm sad to hear that your Goldfish is pineconing

Tomorrow let's do another 100% WC, and let's not replace the Epsom. We'll see how she does after that.

We are stopping Epsom because prolonged treatment could lead to anemia.

Hi Alex, I've done a 100% water change now. We'll continue to feed her the medicated gelfood and see how she goes. How long do you recommend continuing the gelfood for?

How's your poor Goldfish doing? I'm sad to hear that your Goldfish is pineconing

Hi, thanks for asking after Blackie... she needs all the good wishes she can get! She's still lying on her side, poor baby :(

We will have to just follow her progress and see. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that it will be somewhere between 14-30 days.

Don't give up!! You'll be proud of yourself for saving your goldfish and how good you will feel after you saved your Goldfish, continue contacting people at koko's and they will be glad to help you

Don't give up!! You'll be proud of yourself for saving your goldfish and how good you will feel after you saved your Goldfish, continue contacting people at koko's and they will be glad to help you

Thank you :)

Any improvments? I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Any improvments? I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Thanks Jenny! Blackie is still lying on her side :( She does have an appetite and continues to eat the gelfood. And she starts "waving" her fins when she sees people... which I hope is a good sign. Other than that I really hope she starts being upright soon as she is a sweetie and it breaks our hearts to just see her lying on her side when she used to swim so beautifully around the tank.

Aw, that's really cute! :)

How many days has she been eating medicated food?

Hi Alex :) yes my daughter's taken it upon herself to do the daily hand-feed and it's very cute. Blackie used to be quite scared of humans (like any normal fish) but she knows which side her bread is buttered on now.

We've been feeding her the medicated gelfood for 18 days now (since 21st June).

Not really sure what sort of improvement we should see by now but she is quite "lively" and likes food...

Let's continue with the course of the medicated for a few more days, but I have to tell you that it may be that she had suffered permanent injury. While the infection may be clearing or cleared (more likely possibility), she may not be able to be upright. Nevertheless, let us continue, and hope for a great outcome.