Blackmoor Dying?

• Supporter

ok.. you have just under 6 US gallons of water in that tub. the correct dose of Epsom salt is 1/4 teaspoon per 10 US gallons. (notice i write teaspoon and not tablespoon). like i said, it's a very little amount that is needed and cannot exceed 8 consecutive days of treatment.

your dose will be just under a 1/4 teaspoon of epsom, i don't know what that is in grams, i have nothing that will measure that liitle amount. so start the teaspoon at 1/4 and remove some from that. then, you need to dissolve it in very little tank water on the stove. Epsom salt dissolves almost immediately, so a few mins and it's totally done on a very low heat. do not boil the water, there is no need. alternatively, you can heat up a little bit of water in a cup and add the epsom, stirring till fully dissolved.

tomorrow, i will be posting you via express post 8 metronidazole tablets that we will help you to make medicated gelfood. can you please weigh your fish so that we know to calculate it's dose. i will put a video together for you know for an easy method to weigh your fish.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Helen (silly me, I just noticed the name on your signature), thanks for that :) Have taken out 70% of the water, and just conditioned new water to put in. Will put Epsom salts in after. Do you have a recommendation on the temperature for the heater at this stage? Have turned it off for now as I've removed a lot of water. Should I aim for 24-26 degrees C?

• Supporter

i would take this wonderful opportunity and increase by 2 degrees C the tank's temp with the current waterchange. don't forget to add prime as your water conditioner and now the epsom at the dose that i mentioned in my previous post..

squeee! i have done the vid and it's uploading.. lol

Thank you so much for that video, that's brilliant! And your fishy model is the absolute sweetest! Just weighed Blackie and she is 64 grams. Actually not as heavy as I'd thought she'd be.

Will wait for the Metronidazole. Just following your instructions has given us some hope and Blackie can surely feel all the extra attention and hopefully starts to feel better already even just from the salts, the bigger container and the clean water. Will set the heater to 23-24 degrees (vs room temp of 21 degrees) for now.

Good night Helen and talk to you again tomorrow! :)

• Supporter

he's my newbie :heart i picked him up today :D

i had just finished salt dipping him to rid of any possible nasties :) that's why it was easy to arrange the vid for you :)

i just want you to be very aware that things might not turn out as we would ultimately like them to :( many fish do not recover from dropsy, and most of those that do, we find that they do have relapses..

example, i had something pretty funky happening in my tank once, about 2 years ago? perhaps a little less. there was some rust coming from one of the UV sterilizers. i had no idea. one day, i woke up and found that 2 of my fish were pineconing and i moved them to QT. later that evening, i realized another began pineconing too.. i decided to strip the tank down 100% to find where the problem was. it was a 16 hour ordeal :(

the result. from the 3 fish, i have one remaining. snag. she's s tough little cookie, a ranchu.

sir loyn relapsed 5 times and then died on the 5th relapse.

Amico, she recovered, but relapsed during the final days of treatment and didn't recover.

snag, relapsed twice within the few months that followed that ordeal, and thankfully has not relapsed since. she's been with me for nearly 3 years now.

so, what i am saying is that once a fish is exposed to dropsy, for whatever reason, it's bacteria related 90% of the time. sometimes, bacteria can stay within the body for a long time and certain conditions will spark it again or a new bacteria will form. we can never be too sure. your fish, from this point forward will be sensitive to any bacterias in the tank. it's very important that you maintain pristine water from this point forward in the main tank.

unforutnately, you are very much overstocked. with the 5 fish you do have, your tank needs to be 60 gallons. this equates to almost 230 litres of water. a guidline that we follow here is 20 gallons for the first goldfish of the fancy kind (double tailed fish) and then 10 gallons for each additional goldfish. there are solid reasons for this. goldfish are very messy with the waste they release. constant poop and pee.. as well as this toxic waste, there is also a growth hormone released. this growth hormone, if not removed will stunt them, the will stop growing on the outside to suit the fishtank size, but they will continue to grow on the inside causing great stress to their organs and eventually, they die.

you will need to look for something a little more than double in size than what you alredy have. i would start with checking Ebay first.. there are many tanks with nice stands available where you are that i couldn't get my hands on due to "pick up" only option. they were very attractive in price.. so i had to custom make my own to suit my needs. in most sales, the sellers also include filtration for free :)

Just got home from work and it's fishy time again. Thanks for sharing that story Helen. I guess we can't get our hopes up too much but we do want to try as much as we can :( And we'll definitely look into bigger tanks.

So it is dropsy after all? Here we were thinking it was swim bladder as she has been on her side at the bottom of the tank. The pineconing seemed minimal which is why we may not have noticed.

Just measured the water parameters:

PH = 7.6

Ammonia = 0.5ppm

Nitrite = 0.25 ppm

Nitrate = 5ppm

How much water should we change?

And if we do change water, the new water will be colder again. Is that okay given that her bucket is currently at around 23-24 degrees C?

• Supporter

ok.. ammonia and nitrites need to come down to 0ppm hun.

the water temperature will be matched from the tap. you don't have to use the thermometer, you can just dip your finger in the tank, then meet that temp with the tapwater. the temperature needs to stay stable. try to match it to her tub as closely as possible.

i sent the meds express post today, you should receive them tomorrow.

Ok, all done, I changed 16 out of the 22 or so liters of water. I then put just less than an eighth of an teaspoon of Epsom salt. Blackie's right eye (which was filmy) is no longer that filmy.

As for Epsom salt do I only put salt equivalent to the water I replaced? This is what I did today, I put only the measure of Epsom salt for 16L. Or equivalent to the whole bucket?

Also I have been conditioning the new water with Prime and Stability as that is what we used to do for water changes in the main tank. Is using both ok? Or just Prime?

Will wait to receive the tablets and your advice on how much to use and how to make the gelfood. For now we will feed her the usual breakfast of 1.5 peas.

Good night for now!!! :gfish:

• Supporter

hi hun, salt is about the only thing that does not evaporate from the water or can be removed with carbon. so, whatever salt is in there can only be removed with water changes. this also means, that whatever salt you have not taken out, will still remain in the tank. so, we only add salt for the amount of water we're putting back into the tank. hope this makes sense :)

i would like you to use only the Prime. the other product is not required.

your express post number for the meds that were dispatched today is 049228655098. if you do not receive it by mail time tomorrow, please check it's progress here: http://auspost.com.au/track/

a good night to you too!..

Hello, got the medicines today. Very securely packed :) THANK YOU very much.

Blackie is 64 grams as per her last weigh-in. Will wait for instructions. Meanwhile will check water parameters. How much water should I change by the way if the levels are not optimal? This always confuses me. 50%? 70%? or less?

Het tub temperature is at 25degrees C now. Is that okay?

Edited by Sweetmochi

Hello,

Helen asked me to help with the calculations for making the gel food. Based on the weight of Blackie, he will need to each 0.7 grams of the medicated gel food daily, from anywhere between 14-30 days. So, let's make enough for 30 days. That would be 25 grams. I also chose this number, because I think that the tablets of metronidazole are 250 mg each, so you will need exactly one tablet for your purposes.

Actually, once you make the gel and let it sit, divide up the gel food into 28 equal sized cube, and each cube is the amount of food he should eat. This means that he will be eating a bit more than 1% of his body weight, but that should be OK.

Let me know if the tablet is of a different dosage, and I'll recalculate. Otherwise, good luck! :)

Hi, thanks for that. It's great that there is so much support in this forum. Each of the metronidazole tabs seems to be 200mg but that's ok.

Silly question maybe but how do I actually make the gelfood? Do I mix the tablet with water and then fish food or peas? Never done this before. :unsure:

Ok. Then let's make 40 grams of medicated gel food and use two tablets. Cut the gel up into 50 equal pieces and feed one per day :)

Helen can help you more with making gel food. There is also a pinned article in the foods section on making gel food.

I'm so sorry to hear that Blackie is unwell. Sending healing vibes to him for a speedy recovery. He's such a handsome fishie!

Thank you Helen and Alex, on Blackie's behalf for helping him out! You are doing such a nice job! :)

• Supporter

Hello,

Helen asked me to help with the calculations for making the gel food. Based on the weight of Blackie, he will need to each 0.7 grams of the medicated gel food daily, from anywhere between 14-30 days. So, let's make enough for 30 days. That would be 25 grams. I also chose this number, because I think that the tablets of metronidazole are 250 mg each, so you will need exactly one tablet for your purposes.

Actually, once you make the gel and let it sit, divide up the gel food into 28 equal sized cube, and each cube is the amount of food he should eat. This means that he will be eating a bit more than 1% of his body weight, but that should be OK.

Let me know if the tablet is of a different dosage, and I'll recalculate. Otherwise, good luck! :)

thank you alex, the tablets are 200mg Metronidazole. could you recalculate please?

Here you go, Helen :)

Then let's make 40 grams of medicated gel food and use two tablets. Cut the gel up into 50 equal pieces and feed one per day :)

Hi Helen, just got the gelatin tonight after work. Didn't realise I needed gelatin (silly me) to make gelfood. Will be using this recipe but will separate 40 grams for the medicated portion. Will crush up the two tablets and combine with gelfood.

I'll be modifying this recipe as I won't be using the Kanaplex and lactobacillus. The baby food I got was organic peas and zucchini (they didn't have one that was only peas):

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/an-easy-medicated-gel-food-recipe.html

Crossing fingers!

• Supporter

hun, you just need to make sure there is no salt in it..

what i normally do is just get some home brand garden frozen peas from coles, i find they have the least sodium.. i get some fresh spinach, zuccini, a carrot and boil all that up until soft.. sometimes i add some of those "brunswick" brand sardines in springwater, sometimes i don't. i make as much gelfood as i want, then just take from that mixture the amount i need to turn into medfood, add the meds and you're done.

just please make sure you crush the tablets as fine as possibe so that it's evenly distributed into the food to make each feed a good dose of medicine.

Just made the food and it looks good. However, I realised that I forgot to separate the 40 grams only for medicated food, and I ended up adding the medicine (2 tablets) to approx. 120 grams of food :( So basically there's only 30% of the required meds in each food. *hitting self on head*

I need to make another batch now. Good thing you sent me more than 2 tablets!

By the way this is a photo of Blackie today. Her left eye isn't filmy anymore but she is still on her side. Does she still look pineconed to you?

b53efd41.jpg

Edited by Sweetmochi

• Supporter

hun, i won't be able to tell if she's pineconed unless she's sitting upright. can you cup her in your hand a little so we can get a top view photo of her sitting upright? how did you go with the food? all done? did she eat?

Good morning! Finally succeeded in making some late last night and fed her some this morning. As the baby food version was unusable I ended up using carrots, spinach and peas instead. She ate some thankfully. Will try to post an updated photo later.