Sign in to follow this  
Guest BBessent

Body Velvet

Guest BBessent

I have a goldfish 8 inches that lives out in a 3500 gal pond. Today he was up in the shallows...when we pulled him out it is like he is shedding his skin and under neath by his gills there is a ulcer looking place. I put him in a salt bath for just a minute or so, now I have transferred him to an aquarium in the house to watch him. What should I give him.

Thanks,

BBessent

Was he shedding his scales or was the body slime peeling? If the slime turms white and starts to shed then it could be a body slime fungus. It does not sound like velvet.

Guest BBessent

I was just reading some stuff and yes, the body slime fungus is what it sounds like...what do I do?

BBessent

If it is body slime fungus, which is highly contagious, you will want to act quickly, it can kill a fish in two days. The salt bath will help as it will retard the growth of the fungus. You will need to find a medication that cures body slime fungus at the pet store, some people follow a salt bath in warm water with an ich cure to further slow the growth.