Sign in to follow this  
OoAMoO

Oranda has something wrong with eye and strange scars

Okay so for the past year my 4 goldfish (each over 4 years old), my black oranda (under 1 years old), my angel fish (8 months old) tetra (8 months old) have been living in the same tank with the temperature at 26° C, They have to filters and regular water changes etc etc, yesterday I looked in the tank and my oranda was seriously ill it had a scar on it's side and its eye was cut see pictures for details

As you can see her eyes seems to be growing a second eye which is impossible so what is it?

347baty.jpg

Here is the scar yesterday was way worse:

dpk4mx.jpg

Now what I have done,

I removed her and placed her in a tank in my room, so I can watch her and every morning I change the water,

My Concerns

What is wrong with her eye? I'm not too worried about the scar as it is healing, she is still quite strong and able to swim but is generally just resting at the bottom of the tank,

Her eye but is really scaring me I'm unsure if you can see in the pic but it looks like there are two eyes and it looks like there's an indent on her eyelid

Please do not lecture me and just help me, I'm really concern she was like the best fish every when I cleaned the tank she would swim right up to my hand and eat food from it , Please help any ideas

and if she gets better (i hope) I'm going to house her separate, I read online that they are very delicate and must be kept in a current less environment, with soft ornaments and stones

I am very sorry your moor isn't doing well :(

Could you please fill this out it, it helps us determine what we can do to help you and your adorable fish :)

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) (I don't check)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * Water temperature? 26 o C
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Unsure size, but over 2 years.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 filters Same as belowinternal-aquarium-filter-1.png
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? I know your not suppose to but I change the whole tank every two-2 weeks since the past two years

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 weeks full tank
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 goldfish 4 inches, oranda 3 inches, angele fish 2.5 inches, and tetra not even an inch
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? none.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Goldfish food for past two years
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. nope
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Eye deformation see picture above and scars
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying at the bottom but has the strenght to swim to top also heavy breathing? like opening mouth and gill very wide/open and fast

Is it possible to get your water tested at the LPS or maybe pick up a API master test kit ;)

Hello, I'm sorry that your fish is having some issues. We very much would like to help, so there won't be any lecturing. BUT, we do need some help on your help as well.

Firstly, could you please do as MissColonel had suggested. We really need to know the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH values. We also really need to know the size of the tank. If you don't know this, please measure out the dimensions, and we can do the calculations from there.

Also, the fish in the picture is not an oranda, which generally looks like this

pic%20-%20breeds-oranda1.jpg

Rather, he/she is a black moor, or a black goldfish with telescope eyes.

20007089.JPG

Hello, sorry you are having these problems :(

As suggested, it is important to know about the tank size, and the water parameters. These are often one of the main points to figure out what could be going on :)

Also, that filter seems insufficient for goldfish, even if you have two. It might have worked for these years, but keep in mind that goldfish keep growing and produce more and more waste over time. What might have worked before might not be working anymore. That happened to many of us! :)

Okay Crises over, I think the got cut from something in the tank, Some of my tank ornaments are like slates so what I think happened is She cut her eye and side against it, and the "second eye" is just her eye ball, Two days ago She was cut swollen and dying at the bottom of her tank today twos days later she's flying around tank, moving around so thanks for your concerns, I thought you would all freak at the idea of cold water and tropical fish together!

I thought you would all freak at the idea of cold water and tropical fish together!

I'm glad things are better, but I do hope that you follow up on what you had indicated earlier, which is to house these fish separately. I want you to know that we DO NOT support goldfish and most tropical fish together. Please don't mistake not freaking out as tacit support.

I thought you would all freak at the idea of cold water and tropical fish together!

I'm glad things are better, but I do hope that you follow up on what you had indicated earlier, which is to house these fish separately. I want you to know that we DO NOT support goldfish and most tropical fish together. Please don't mistake not freaking out as tacit support.

I know you's don't support but why not? my fish have been fine?

I know you's don't support but why not? my fish have been fine?

Because the requirements for the two types are different, because temperaments of the two are different, and because putting them together in such a way is likely cause stress for everyone involved. Of course they are fine, until they are not.

Here is a somewhat analogous situation. Just because the bully at school who is intent on making your life heck hasn't managed to corner you somewhere and beaten you to a bloody pulp doesn't mean that you are fine.

Edited by dnalex

Sniped by alex. I wholeheartedly agree with what he has said.

Just because the bully at school who is intent on making your life heck hasn't managed to corner you somewhere and beaten you to a bloody pulp doesn't mean that you are fine.

I swear I'm not lying one day when cleaning my tank, I forgot to plug back in the heater the next morning I found them all in the corner huddled together It was an amazing sight, Don't be to quick to judge, people warned me they would fight, they haven't, people warned me they can't eat the same food they will die in a week, they haven't, I've been told changing the entire water is FATAL, and it hasn't so In my terms I think I've done a good job, but I think jumping to conclusions without experiencing something first hand is some what ignorant.

Just because the bully at school who is intent on making your life heck hasn't managed to corner you somewhere and beaten you to a bloody pulp doesn't mean that you are fine.

I swear I'm not lying one day when cleaning my tank, I forgot to plug back in the heater the next morning I found them all in the corner huddled together It was an amazing sight, Don't be to quick to judge, people warned me they would fight, they haven't, people warned me they can't eat the same food they will die in a week, they haven't, I've been told changing the entire water is FATAL, and it hasn't so In my terms I think I've done a good job, but I think jumping to conclusions without experiencing something first hand is some what ignorant.

I think that you would do better to LISTEN to the advice you sought in joining this site.

People are giving you very good, intelligent, helpful advice.

You see goldfish need a cold water environment. They are happiest around 74 degrees. Tropical fish thrive in 80 degree plus water.

Tropical fish have different, easier, water parameter requirements. Goldfish are very, very specific in the kind of water they need.

You aren't outright killing your fish by doing it, but you are DRASTICALLY shortening the lifespan of your goldfish. If housed correctly goldfish can live 20+ years.

If not, only a scant few. Maybe.

The fact that you were told all of those warnings and yet did it anyways is just disturbing to me.

Fish are pets, they are just as important as dogs and cats. You obviously love your fish, or you wouldn't have come looking for help for it.

And you NEED to get a water test kit. You need to be able to test that water because the ammonia the goldfish put off could start to overwhelm the other fish.

If you think you have done such an excellent job, then perhaps you need to not be on a forum where everyone is going to say otherwise. you may prefer to stay oblivious.

but if you were to google online thoroughly, you would see how difficult goldfish can be, and what it takes to properly care for them. Not just hear it here.

I think jumping to conclusions without experiencing something first hand is some what ignorant.

That's a rather bold and ignorant assumption on your part. I DO have personal experience where a tropical fish killed two of my goldfish, so I didn't speak from guessing. There have also been other members here who have had the same issue. What arrogance on your part to presume that people aren't speaking from experience, or to equate others with people here. NO ONE here has said they can't eat the same food. NO ONE here has said you can't do large water changes. Try asking us for a change.

Edited by dnalex

I think jumping to conclusions without experiencing something first hand is some what ignorant.

That's a rather bold and ignorant assumption on your part. I DO have personal experience where a tropical fish killed two of my goldfish, so I didn't speak from guessing. There have also been other members here who have had the same issue. What arrogance on your part to assume that people aren't speaking from experience, or to equate others with people here. NO ONE here has said they can't eat the same food, NO ONE here has said you can't do water changes. Try asking us for a change.

listen calm down! this is just a forum, I accept your opinion but would prefare! your advice "

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them."

jeez, I'm only new :help:

So what do you suggest?

Edited by OoAMoO

People are GIVING you advice.

We're not giving you personal opinions. We're giving you constructive, true advice.

From personal experience. No one gets into goldfish without having their own stories of how wrong they were when they got into it. We have all been there, done that, and know better now and are trying to head off you having to have that.

And this advice, especially, coming from some people who have owned goldfish for the better parts of their lives.

I mean. How knowledgeable of a goldfish owner are you really when you didn't even know the difference between an Oranda and a Moor? Maybe you need to get a little advice, after all.

Could you please! Just tell me what to do? Cause you are all saying separate tanks give me all the information such as information like can black moors and goldfish live together? Ideal ornaments, Lighting, food and diet, tank sizes, temperature, exercise (Do they need activities?) , breeding warnings, WHY I NEED TO TEST THE WATER?

People are GIVING you advice.

Maybe you need to get a little advice, after all.

I am asking for advice but all I heard is, water test, separate tanks so instead of arguing help,

Please tell me why I need water test and what to do with them etc , You's can see I don't want a fight so please just help :(

house these fish separately. I want you to know that we DO NOT support goldfish and most tropical fish together.

What about black moors and goldfish?

Black moors ARE goldfish.

It's the angel fish I was advising you to separate from the others.

The other thing is that I asked you for info on how big your set up is, or the dimensions of the tank if you don't know the tank size. I and others have been trying to help, and we begin by collecting crucial basic info.

Is it possible to get your water tested at the LPS or maybe pick up a API master test kit ;)

Why is this necessary?

Rather, he/she is a black moor, or a black goldfish with telescope eyes.

Thanks :) The pet shop told me it was an oranda and so did the receipt so I just always presumed they knew best, guess not -_-

Hello, sorry you are having these problems :(

What might have worked before might not be working anymore. That happened to many of us! :)

Thank you for understanding,

Edited by OoAMoO

As dnalex said, we just need to know your set up specifically and then we can tell you what you need and help.

as for water testing, you need to water test because goldfish are really dirty. They put off a lot of waste, and it builds up and changes the water. Building up nitrites and nitrates, and that is toxic. They also put off ammonia, which can build up and become toxic.

And any variances can cause swim bladder issues, bacterial infections, dropsy, ich, etc.

and rule of thumb, unfortunately, pet shop people basically know nothing.

Edited by Drowsy

Edited by aakane47

Black moors ARE goldfish.

It's the angel fish I was advising you to separate from the others.

The other thing is that I asked you for info on how big your set up is, or the dimensions of the tank if you don't know the tank size. I and others have been trying to help, and we begin by collecting crucial basic info.

A cat and a lion are apart of the same family but you wouldn't let them live together eh? So I was just asking -.- , I just want your help.

Tank size: 60x18x20, 100 Gallons

Please stop being so snappy, is very unpleasant.

As dnalex said, we just need to know your set up specifically and then we can tell you what you need and help.

as for water testing, you need to water test because goldfish are really dirty. They put off a lot of waste, and it builds up and changes the water. Building up nitrites and nitrates, and that is toxic. They also put off ammonia, which can build up and become toxic.

And any variances can cause swim bladder issues, bacterial infections, dropsy, ich, etc.

and rule of thumb, unfortunately, pet shop people basically know nothing.

Thank you for 1. Being nice, 2. Explaining, 3. Helping

It can be seen you were brought up with manners ThankYou.gif