Sign in to follow this  
Guest vixen_vc

Black Moor With Ich

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

My tank is one week into cycling and my black moor has developed Ich. I took him to our fish shop today and they have given me King British white spot treatment. They advised me as the tank is one week into cycling nitrate at 0.25 to change the water when I got home and then change it again 6 hours later, (which bought the nitrate level down to 0), and then treat with the relevant dosage of King British which I have done. The fish shop said to treat again in 48hours however they said to keep the nitrate levels down. Can I do water changes during treatment? Do I have to add more treatment when I do? :huh:

Thanks

is that a typo? are you really trying to keep the nitrAtes down? or is it the nitrItes that you are working on? either way it is the NITRITES and ammonia that you should be working on. are you adding dissolved aquarium salt to each water change? if not, you should be. this will greatly improve your goldies ability to deal with rising/fluctuating nitrIte levels. one tablespoon per 5 us gallons is a good place to start.

other than that, im not sure if treating for ich while you are cycling will do any good. incidentely, what is the active ingredients in the meds that you spoke of?

anybody else? :unsure:

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

Yeah sorry nitrites, the ammonia is 0 as well. The fish shop tested my water today and said it was doing well. Yes I'm replacing the salt lost. As I am changing 25% water I add back in 2 1/2 teaspoon. Its a 10 gallon tank. I sometimes change less depending on the Nitrite levels. I have been feeding the fish once a day but am fasting it while I change it. Hes pretty unhappy with the Ich I even thought it (Snoop), was dead at one point but then he perks up and seems fairly happy. Is it best to keep the lights off? Active ingredients are Malachite green, acriflavine and quinine sulphate. I work on 1 teaspoon per gallon is that right? Should I add more to help him?

Thanks so much!!! :)

p.s He also does massively long poos is that healthy?

just stick to the amount that the medication prescribes. and yes, you want to kill the lights during treatment. you could even go so far as to drape a towel across the tank during the day. you can take the towel off at night if there is very little ambient light. i would do this just to be sure because the malachite green is rendered useless by light. im not sure if the ingredients in your meds will kill the ich eggs in your tank so, you might have to dose the tank again to get all if the ich that hatch after the first treatment. does the bottle say anything about repeating treatment?

as for your vigilance in your water changes and the addition of salt, you are doing pretty much everything that you can. when you beat this case of ich, youll be rewarded with a very happy goldie! :)

paul

Guest vixen_vc

Thanks,

It says to retreat after 48 hours until the signs of Ich are gone. Shall I still do water changes? Hes seeming alot happier now.

Thanks again

Guest vixen_vc

Also we have a piece of driftwood in the tank will that absorb the meds?

With ich, you actually need to keep repeating the treatment until the fish has been completely ich-free for 6 days (ignore what the packet says!). Due to its lifecycle, ich can lurk in the tank for several days and therefore has a nasty habit of coming back when you thought it was gone. It will help to increase the tank temperature to 80F (increase the oxygenation too though) as this speeds up the ich lifecycle and therefore enables the meds to work faster.

You must keep the nitrites below 1.0 (ideally .5 or less), so if this means doing water changes during the treatment, then do them. Simply add more medication to the new water to compensate for whatever was lost during the changes.

To be honest, salt is just as effective against ich as shop-bought meds, is easier to control and is gentler on the fish. To treat ich with salt, you need to use a .3% solution in the tank (3 teaspoons per gallon).

Long poos are a sign of constipation; cut down on feeding and give your fish peas (either fresh or frozen but not canned), very lightly boiled, de-skinned and mushed. These act as a laxative.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say, the driftwood will not absorb the meds so you can leave it in if you want. However, it can be mucky stuff - I prefer not to have it in a cycling tank.

Edited by emmahj

Guest vixen_vc

Thanks a lot,

I dont have a heater so i cant heat the tank up. As the tank is cycling the fish shop said to not feed him - how long should i do this for (i didnt feed him yesterday or today). I was only feedimg him once a day anway - one pellet to help with the nitrites. How long shld i keep him in the dark for? Shall I increase the salt as well? When shld i use the gravel hoover? So many questions - sorry! :rolleyes:

thank u again!!!

vixenvc,

you can feed your goldie while the tank is cycling. just feed him very sparingly. a couple of pellets once a day should be fine. if he doesnt eat all of them within a couple of minutes, just remove the uneaten food. also, peas really should be fed to fancies goldies at least once a week. this will help keep them from getting constipation and swim bladder disorder.

keep him in the dark for as long as the treatment is going on. you could try to feed him after the sun goes down and there wont be any bright light getting into the tank. in my opinion, this is a neccessary precaution when treating them with any medication containing malachite green.

no, dont add any more salt than you should be adding for the nitites protection.

you should do a gravel vac at every water change. in fact, do the gravel vac before or as a water change. when i gravel vac my tanks, i do it until it has drained 25% of my tanks water (my changes consist of a 25% gravel vacs). they will greatly reduce the number of ich eggs "hiding" out in your gravel.

dont worry about all the questions you have! thats why we are all here, to share our love and knowledge of our beautiful little pond dogs! :D

good luck and keep us posted with any progress! :hi

Guest vixen_vc

Hi,

Right got it I think!!! :lol: I think the fish shop just meant to fast him during Ich treatment. But I was worried cos Emmahj said to treat him for at least 6 days then I thought he may starve! :thud Anyway the shop said normally I sould feed him twice a day with one pellet as they are like 5 course meals but during cycling once a day. Also I notice that he doesnt seem to spot the food for a while and was wondering how to alert him that its there. When he does finally see it he circles the food for a while. I guess maybe when hes better he may be on the alert a bit more, but he does seem to scavenge alot around the driftwood. I'll feed him a pea tonight. Once though when I was testing for nitrites he came and attacked the test tube and then sucked on my finger but legged it when he realised I wasnt food! I think he maybe a very confident fish when this stressful period is over as he always swims up to my face after awhile when I look in on him.

Thank you for your help Snoop appreciates it!

black moors are known to have very poor eyesight. thats why i suggested that you take any uneaten food out of the tank after feeding time. i have an 8-10 inch black moor that is almost completely blind. during feeding time, i can pretty much just drop the food into his mouth! ive found that since i have been feeding him floating pellets, hes learned to scour the edges of the water surface for them (the pellets are naturally drawn to the edges of the tank). sometimes22 mistakenly nibble at my fingers but, he darts off after he realizes that it isnt food (much like your snoop). anyway, black moors are probably my favorite goldie and i was delighted to here that you got one!

incidentlely, if this treatment doesnt work after the 6 days that emma suggested, maybe you could try the salt treatment (with a heater). it really is a lot less harsh than any ich med out there.

paul