Sign in to follow this  
BurningIvy

Rescued two fantail goldfish - something is wrong with them.

Unfortunately I don't know what the water conditions were in the tank before I had them. I do know that they were in a 250 G tank that was heated and filled mainly with tropical fish including a very aggressive cichlid. The tank was way overstocked with probably more than 25 fish at any given time. The fish die off like nobody's business and then are replaced with new, sometimes aggressive, fish, like oscars. The tank's water changes were only made every six months or so and the six inches of rocks on bottom hadn't been cleaned in over a year. I took them last night and brought them home. I only have a 10 G quarantine tank for the time being but will be getting a larger one to keep them in if they live on more than this week. I took them out initially because I was certain they had swimbladder from some reading I've done on the site. They were both floating at the top of the tank and would eat a lot of food but never really saw if they passed it at all. They both have fin issues as well. I will post pictures. Anyway, last night I fed them some peas which they ate right up and this stopped the bloating. But now all they do is sit at the bottom of the tank and don't move hardly at all. I'm not really sure what to do with them. I have their current water conditions if you'd like those but they've only been in this water for under 24 hours.

• * Ammonia Level - 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level - 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level - 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 7.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 6.2
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api master kit
  • * Water temperature? 76 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 G and about 2 weeks
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquatech 10
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? starting today it will be daily 80%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I haven't yet
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantails about 1.5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime seachem
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? nutrafin sinking pellets twice a day and boiled deshelled peas to help with bloating
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? both of them
  • * Any medications added to the tank? melafix and prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. melafix and prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? one has a fin that has a bend in it... sort of looks like it has been ironed into a crease, the other is missing part of his dorsal fin
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? well they were floating but now they are bottomsitting

I swear some fish owners need to be slapped! Good luck with your pretty babies :)

Aww what cuties!! that is so kind for you to save them ^_^ I noticed you have started prazi do you have the tank salted too? The salt will help prevent any secondary infections from the flukes leaving their gills which can cause small imbrasions. Also the salt will help and damaged fins heal as well. Just if you use salt you just need to make sure your water readings are at 0, specially ammonia.

I also noticed your ph comes out a bit low and seems to raise a whole point( i am not sure though if this is the cause of their bottom sitting) Prazi can cause their current behavior too if they have a bad fluke infestation aswell.

I am sure though someone else will reply rather quick since I am too a new goldie owner ^_^ I am sure another member can give you better help since I am not sure what appraoch would be best since you also have melafix in their too. Good Luck on your finned babies ^_^

Hello!

Look for upgrade on craigslist, they have good deals there. I'm just wondering since your pH in the tap is 6.2, I'm just wondering how you get it up. If you use things like pH up or down they could be harmful for the fish. A good pH regulator is gold buffer.

Is your tank cycled? If its only been running for two weeks then it might not be cycled. If it's not cycled then you may be looking at 50-60% water changes daily or more. Check your levels often because you could easily have a spike in a non-cycled fish tank.

Also your filter do you know the gph ( gallons per hour) it filters. For your tank you should look at buying a filter with a 100-200 gph. for gph you want it ten times your size of tank. Like I 300 gph on my 20 gallon tank.

Good thing your prazi-ing but I'm not sure about melafix, another member can answer you about that. When you add salt make sure ammonia is 0,

Good luck with the fish!

Edited by Golden fishy

Congrats on the new fish!! They are pretty :)

Any chance we could get a video of their behavior?

I think prazi was definitely a good idea. However, I would get the melafix out of the water and add .1% salt instead (.1% = 10 level teaspoons of salt for your 10 gallon, you can use aquarium salt or any salt without any additives or anti-caking agents, make sure you dissolve the salt well before adding it to the tank). Because of the difference in Ph you will not be able to just do a large water change to get the melafix out. Are you using a buffer to raise Ph, or is it rising naturally in the tank?

Also, please do 4-6 rounds of the prazi, following the 5 day schedule (day 1: add prazi, day 4: 50% water change, day 5: 50% water change, add prazi). You will need to replace the amount of salt you take out with each water change (if you change 50% of the water add back in 5 tsp of salt).

awwww.........the two goldies are pretty. So nice of you to rescue them and give them a home :clapping: Here is to good health and good luck with them..........and look at Craigslist for a tank deal !!

The bottom sitting is like to come from the Prazi treatment. Given their conditions, I wouldn't be surprised that they have flukes. Treatment of heavily infested fish often results in bottom sitting the first couple of days. They will perk up in a day or two, if this is the case.

They could also be stressed from having just been moved to a new environment!

They are totally fine in a 10 gallon QT. Make sure to do as many WCs as possible during this time (more than once per week). :)

Alright, I did an 80% water change and salted the tank with 10 tsp of api aquarium salt and readded the prazi. I believe the melafix is gone since I only put a small dose in once yesterday.. they seem super active as of tonight... maybe it was just the prazi? I dunno but they certainly aren't sitting around anymore. I'm keeping them on peas for a few more days. I would post a video but I can't figure out how I did it last time. Help on that would be awesome =D

Good, a video isn't really necessary if they are looking more active again. It was likely the prazi taking effect, fish that have a heavy fluke load can have pretty significant reactions to the prazi. For future reference though you can either upload your video to youtube or a hosting site like photobucket and then just link to it in your post :)

Would you mind still answering the questions about Ph. Do you use a buffer or does your Ph naturally rise? Because you have such a large difference in Ph you need to be careful doing large water changes because you don't want to drop the tank Ph more than .5 ppm at a time. I wouldn't do more than a 50% change at a time.

I'm not sure what happens but the tap water says 6.2 and then when I put the conditioner in (nothing else just prime) it comes up on its own. Strange?

I'm not sure what happens but the tap water says 6.2 and then when I put the conditioner in (nothing else just prime) it comes up on its own. Strange?

The Prime will not have any effect on Ph, however the aeration in your tank can. Sometimes there are gasses in tap water that lower Ph, when the water is in your aquarium these are released allowing your Ph to rise.

You may want to look into aging your water before water changes to avoid shifts in Ph (many people use large bins/trash cans etc. to age water). Otherwise you'll want to keep your water changes relatively small, but you can still do multiple changes a day/week to keep the water quality in check.

okay that sounds like a plan then =) thanks for that. I thought it seemed like a big jump but assumed it was normal!

You are already get the best advice. Congrats on rescuing the new babies.

Oh thanks! I'm going into town today so I'll probably pick some of that up. =)

Good, just watch out, most places like Pet$mart don't have it.