Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Same betta, new tank!

How did I just see this? Incredibly beautiful tank and fish. Makes me want to try a betta so I can do more with plants.

Go for it! :D

Oh your tank looks lovely. Loving all the plants. Looks great. :)

@tithra Since I'm running out of API Leaf Zone, I'm probably gonig to switch to Seachem Flourish. Man, you don't really use those CO2 stuff?

I use the fluval co 2 kit which is pressurized co2 so it just constantly doses the tank without me having to think about it

Your tank is amazing :) how many times do you change the little c02 tanks. I want one but the refills look pricey :/ I was thinking of doing the DIY ones too if that would work?

The last cartridge lasted me about 2 months because I run it pretty low (1 bubble about every 3sec). Refills are around 30.00 on amazon for 3, so it's not too too bad, but yeah, if I were more handy I'd go the DIY route. Ultimately I just wanted something easy that I knew would work and it has been great from that perspective ;)

Thank you!! $30 isn't that bad for about 6 months or under worth of cartridges. I still might try the DIY ones first then switch over when i am tired of changing the bottles to save some money lol. Can you use co2's in a goldie tank? I was just wondering because I have a 7 goldie approved plants in my 40gal and kinda want more lol.

Got some nice answers and ideas.

Btw, what is the difference between Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Phosphorus? http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html Which one is better and which one should I buy?

Is CO2 fluval tank really necessary for my 10 Gal Betta tank?

What is the name of the CO2 tank from Fluval?

Edited by wteoh1

Thank you!! $30 isn't that bad for about 6 months or under worth of cartridges. I still might try the DIY ones first then switch over when i am tired of changing the bottles to save some money lol. Can you use co2's in a goldie tank? I was just wondering because I have a 7 goldie approved plants in my 40gal and kinda want more lol.

You could potentially use Co2 on a goldie tank, there's a couple people here that do I believe (Fang and Ashlee18 I think?). I personally have not found it necessary in my tank, and don't use any sort of ferts or Co2 in my goldie tank (beyond a nutrient rich substrate for my swords). I chose to use co2 in my betta tank because I have a couple plants that benefit from high light and co2 (like my dwarf hairgrass).

Got some nice answers and ideas.

Btw, what is the difference between Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Potassium, Flourish Phosphorus? http://www.seachem.c...s/Flourish.html Which one is better and which one should I buy?

Is CO2 fluval tank really necessary for my 10 Gal Betta tank?

What is the name of the CO2 tank from Fluval?

This is the fluval co2 kit: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Pressurized-88g-CO2-Kit-Ounces/dp/B004G44ZQQ

Seachem Flourish is the basic fert. This is what I would get if I were you. Seachem Excel is a liquid Co2. If you wanted to try Co2 this would be an easy way to go, however most plants/setups do just fine without added co2.

I wouldn't bother with the iron, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous etc. These are if you have a deficiency of these nutrients and/or have plants that benefit from extra of these nutritents. For example, red plants such as crypt wendti, will become a deeper red when supplemented with iron, and greener when not. All this stuff is just really not necessary in a beginner setup ;)

One more question, the filter canisters. When do I have to replace them? It says every month on my instruction/setup guide while in Petco and Petsmart its every three months?

What time of year would you recommend replace maintainence and other maintainence on my canister?

It's just like any other filter. You do not have to replace any of the media until it is falling apart. For the biomedia this will be years, for the sponges/filter padding this will be several months. What you do need to do is maintain the canister by rinsing the media in a bucket of tank or dechlorinated water every month. It is also a good idea to clean out the hoses every 3 months by running a brush through them. You can watch my youtube video on cleaning your filter if you haven't already ;)

I love the way that the long tank looks! It's much better than the other shape.

How did I just see this? Incredibly beautiful tank and fish. Makes me want to try a betta so I can do more with plants.

Go for it! :D

It is on my list of things, but I want to move first.