Goldfish Grooming Questions

Okori

Just had a few quick questions about grooming fantail fry.

I've got 13 fry left at the moment. Most of them look like your average fantail, only much smaller in size, then there are 3 who are just HUGELY deep bodied. Their head and fins are tiny in proportion to their gut. Having never raised fry, I've got to ask... is this normal? are they like kids and store up all that baby fat just to burn it off and grow or is this just how they're to be shaped? Or a result of poor grooming? IMO these "fatties" are quite cute, but they don't look much like fantails....

The fry are 45 days old, rotating them on blood worms, brine shrimp, and daphnia. Keeping them in a 20 tall with clear water. Running a sponge filter and a penguin filter with a baffle.

Any advice/words of wisdom/etc would be appreciated. Pics will be posted if need be =3

http://s276.photobuc...rent=frylog.mp4

Here's a video of the fry =3 sorry for the poor quality.... cell phone shot. As you can see more of the fry have this "chubby" look to them now, with deep full bellies and short finnage. Again, having never raised fry I'm not sure if this is overfeeding and lack of excersize or if this is what they're supposed to look like... any input would be great, thank you =)

Edited by Okori

Well it might, might be odd genetics, but don't take my word for it. You could check out the Johnson/Hess book, it has a couple of sections on breeding.

EDIT: are they pure fantails?

Edited by Golden fishy

The mother is a calico fantail, she's got longer body/finnage. The fathers are red/white ranchu. Again, I like how they look, but they appear to be more like older deep bodied ryukin IMO then fantail's.... I've read over and over again that it's the first few months that are critical in a goldfish's life, as it defines the body shape and health of fish. Just wanna make sure I'm doing this right...