Sign in to follow this  
Drowsy

Gaston is a little floaty.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level: 0.25

* Nitrite Level: 0

* Nitrate level: 5.0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) no idea.

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?:

API drops.

* Water temperature?:

74 degrees F.

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?:

30 gallons, about a month and a half.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?:

Two tetra whisper 30gallon.

* How often do you change the water and how much?:

twice a week, between 25% and 50%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?:

today, 25%

* How many fish in the tank and their size?:

three. Two about an inch and a half, one about an inch /maybe./

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?:

Aquasafe.

* What do you feed your fish and how often?:

Peas three times a week, goldfish crisp food, frozen bloodworms, frozen vegetarian diet.

* Any new fish added to the tank?:

Two.

* Any medications added to the tank?:

Melafix and Prazipro.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

About four days of Melafix, now Prazipro.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Nope.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

One of the little guys, Gaston the larger one, is still very floaty.

The other, the small one Emile, seems very nervous. I'll come in and he'll be swimming a bit, then move and sit on the bottom at the back of the tank.

Emil was floaty, but that went away yesterday. Now he seems to keep buoyancy fairly well, he doesn't look like he's sinking so much as going to the bottom on purpose.

I'm getting kind of concerned with both of them. I don't know if after Bastion I am just very nervous and over reacting.

I've been feeding them peas, they both eat well. Is there anything else I can do to help with Gaston's floating issues? He isn't stressed, he just wiggles underneath a leaf on the plant in there to sit. I just want him to be able to wiggle around happy.

I hear not feeding for a few day could help, possibly?

Also is there something wrong with Emile, and his slight bottom sitting or is it just because this is second day and he is still skittish and hiding?

Also I think the ammonia and nitrate levels are just from the tap water. I only thought to test the water early because I noticed Emile sitting like that.

Hi Drowsy,

I know you are nervous after Gaston, but it'll be alright! :)

There are two things I would like to suggest:

1. For fish who are floaty and you've already been feeding them peas, try some other veggies like well-cooked baby spinach or chopped up green beans. Both are really good at keeping them regular. Peas have been a staple for a long time, but I think sometimes they can make things worse. These days, unless I need to get the fish to eat some Epsom, in which case I will stuff a granule in a pea, otherwise I go with spinach and green beans. :)

2. Try fasting them for a day or two to see if that changes the buoyancy issue.

I would highly suggest cutting these foods out of the diet for awhile...."goldfish crisp food, frozen bloodworms"

Also try making the Gel food listed in Alex's signature. Im quite sure that those foods your feeding is causing the problem :(

I would highly suggest cutting these foods out of the diet for awhile...."goldfish crisp food, frozen bloodworms"

Also try making the Gel food listed in Alex's signature. Im quite sure that those foods your feeding is causing the problem :(

Well the babby fatties have only been here since this time yesterday, and have eaten only peas. D: But I'll be sure to not feed them the crisps/bloodworms at all now. And I'll get some spinach out for them. I was thinking of letting them fast a few days, see how that goes.

Thanks so much for the help!

Yeah, I am pretty concerned now.

One fish is sitting on the bottom, the other has given up and is floating at the surface.

I can't find ANYTHING wrong with either of them aside from this. I jut want them to live and thrive and be okay... :c

Will you post a video, please? I would like to see what's going on. Thanks.

If you've just started Prazi in the last day or two, this behavior is not unusual, and is usually indicative that they have pretty heavy fluke burdens. I hope they will perk up in a day or so.

If you've just started Prazi in the last day or two, this behavior is not unusual, and is usually indicative that they have pretty heavy fluke burdens. I hope they will perk up in a day or so.

Ohgosh, really? ;A;

I hate to sound relieved that they have flukes, but at least it's something to go off of. I just started Prazi today when it arrived. I did a big water change and added the first dose.

Yup, for future reference, this is what can happen with Prazi:

1. For the first couple of hours, they could twitch and dart a lot more, as the drug is taking effect on the flukes.

2. For the next couple of days, if they have a big burden of flukes, they can start to get very listless and can end up bottom sitting. This is the most dangerous time, since they can get secondary bacterial infections at the sites of flukes attachments. If there are gill flukes, their gills are also really not functioning as well, causing them to be lethargic. You can add salt to 0.1% for now to help them heal faster and ease osmoregulation. Then we hope all is well.

3. Once they recover from this, they should be good to go, although you will have to treat for several more rounds.

Yup, for future reference, this is what can happen with Prazi:

1. For the first couple of hours, they could twitch and dart a lot more, as the drug is taking effect on the flukes.

2. For the next couple of days, if they have a big burden of flukes, they can start to get very listless and can end up bottom sitting. This is the most dangerous time, since they can get secondary bacterial infections at the sites of flukes attachments. If there are gill flukes, their gills are also really not functioning as well, causing them to be lethargic. You can add salt to 0.1% for now to help them heal faster and ease osmoregulation. Then we hope all is well.

3. Once they recover from this, they should be good to go, although you will have to treat for several more rounds.

I have salted the tank already, so that is good!

I read that I should do at least three rounds of Prazi. would that be good enough, or more?

The books recommend 4-6 rounds.

I'm glad you salted already. I just wanted to make sure :)

It was no use. ;; They were too heavily infested. Overnight last night they both died.

They were nice and active all of a sudden before I went to bed, and ate a bit. But it looks like they just died where they had tucked themselves overnight. No movement today when I got up.

It wasn't even the LFS's fault. They had only gotten the shipment the day before I went to see them.

I can't help crying. ;; But I guess I had braced myself for it. Thank you for all your help.

I'm so sorry, Drowsy. :(

Thank you for all your help, though. :c

At least with these two I was really braced for it. I'm just really hesitant to get pearscales again, as badly as I want them.

Maybe a good, hardy fantail.

oh no :( i am sorry to hear that. RIP little fishies :(

:( I'm so sorry

Im so sorry :(