Sign in to follow this  
Riona

Is repashy's new goldfish gel any good?

I just found out that they have a bunch of gel foods for fish now! I've used their crested gecko diet for a while and know it is the absolute ONLY good way to feed those guys, so I was wondering if the fish food would be a good addition to my guy's diet once in a while too.

For the "soilent green"(yes, they spell it that way >_>) the ingredients are:

Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

I saw their gel foods for fish the other day, and was really interested. The thing that I would really like to know before ordering is what they use as the bonding agent. Do you have a contact number for them?

I don't, unfortunately. A person on another forum I'm on is selling repashy foods now and offered these up.

Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine,

These would appear to be the gelling agents.

I thought as much, especially since I didn't see gelatin anywhere on the ingredients list, but you know me, I always want to make certain when I can. It would be great to contact them. I'm especially cautious after having paid $60 for Mazuri gel food that I don't use.

The ingredients list actually sounds pretty good. If I could find that stuff I'd totally buy it.

It's actually not that expensive to buy the Repashy's, since they have them in many different sizes, with the smallest being 2 oz, I think.

It's actually not that expensive to buy the Repashy's, since they have them in many different sizes, with the smallest being 2 oz, I think.

I might have to give them a try since I order there CGF :thumb:

Repashy’s proprietary gel technology uses soluble algae and plant fibers in a

combination that optimizes the gel’s firmness, elasticity, and durability while

making up only 5% of its weight. Typical flake and pellet formulas contain up to

20% binders, meaning Repashy formulas allow the inclusion of up to 15% more

high quality ingredients.

Repashy Gels use no fillers, starches, or binders such as wheat middling, wheat

gluten, wheat flour, rice flour, corn meal, corn starch, or other cereal starches. All

Repashy formulas are gluten free.

Repashy Gels contain no gelatin, which requires refrigeration to set, and is made

of the poorly digestible protein collagen. Gelatin levels in other gel feeds can

reach 20% of the total formula. Gluten, which is the most commonly used binder

in flake and pellets, is also a poorly digestible protein. Both proteins affect the

nutritional analysis and misrepresent the amount of high-quality, bio-available

protein in a product. These poorly digestible proteins, as well as starch binders,

contribute to water fouling, can cause intestinal blockage, prevent the absorption

of other nutrients, and can promote to the occurrence of bloat.

I got this back when I asked the girl on my other forum who is selling it about the product. It's from an email she recieved from Repashy :)

I actually found their number, and their main website to order from. I will try out a couple of their recipes :)

Yeah, I found his website, and the 2 oz order was eight dollars. ^^;;

Say what you will, but in my book, that's expensive.

Yeah, I found his website, and the 2 oz order was eight dollars. ^^;;

Say what you will, but in my book, that's expensive.

Yeah but someone has got to try it :thumb:

Koko, I'm going to try 3 of the formulas, and will write something about it. I'll order after tomorrow.

Evening, it is expensive, for 8 ounces' worth of final amount of food. I think it's only reasonable when you go for the 1 pound amounts. I am going to buy the 4 oz., decide which I like, and then buy the bigger amounts.

Someone on some other forums I belong to is selling it for $7 for 2 oz., and the ingredients sound really good. Plus I am too timid to try out the recipes here for gel food on my own. Two of my goldies have developed floating issues after eating, so hopefully this food will help. I'm going to try the Repashy soilent,which has the following ingredients: " Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Anchovy Meal, Germinated Brown Rice Protein Concentrate, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast, Stabilized Rice Bran, Dried Kelp, Carrageenan Algae, Konjac, Carob Bean Gum, Schizochytrium Algae, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Propionate, Phaffia Rhodozyma Yeast, Paprika Extract, Calendula Flower Powder, Marigold Flower Extract, Rose Hips Powder, Turmeric Root Powder, Malic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Canthaxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Magnesium Gluconate, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (as preservatives), Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement).

7]Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein min. 45%, Crude Fat min. 6%, Crude Fat max. 8%, Crude Fiber max. 8%, Moisture max. 8%, Ash max. 12%, Calcium min. 1.5%, Calcium max. 2%, Phosphorus min. 0.75%."
Edited by finsNfur

Thank you Riona aswell, repashy gel food is :slicedbread:goodpost:goldfish:

Guest Mike and Linda

I just ordered 4 of the samplers. Community Plus, Meat pie, soilent green, and shrimp souffle. Would these be good for a staple food for goldfish or tropicals?

:slicedbread i have the 1st and 3rd sample flavour on your list :)

I just ordered 4 of the samplers. Community Plus, Meat pie, soilent green, and shrimp souffle. Would these be good for a staple food for goldfish or tropicals?

Community Plus & soilent green are great as staples. The others are perfect as regular treats :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I did order the four flavors. I will see how they like it. I have goldies, angels, and tetras.

Sometimes you must pay for what you get. Quality costs.