Oranda got vacced

ypdmd

I was doing a water change - ran down to get some prime - heard the sound of the flow change - sure enough my little panda was stuck in the gravel vac.

Shut everything down, had to take the thing apart to get him out - wen is shredded, bleeding from gills - which stopped.

lower lip is torn -

only one gill seems to be working, fish breathing only once every 10-15 secs, very weak

moving him to qt with .1% salt

any additional advice welcome!

• Supporter

hello, i am sorry to hear of the accident.

do you have an emergency tank with filter and airstone?

if you do, you can put him in there with some cycled media from your main tank.. you can salt to 0.1% to start with and add only half dose melafix to heal the wounds. can you manage something like this in a hurry?

• Supporter

oh, ok, i read that you are doing this already.

keep the lights out, ensure that he's not being pushed around by the current and try to cover the tank if not whole, partly for some comfort. damage to the gill is irreversable. please do not feed for the next few days. normally in qt we like daily wc's.. but because of his badly injured state, i would prefer every few days to 3 days. so we need to keep the water as pristine as possible.

i have 2 ac minis in there, cycled, just moved my pearlscale back to the main tank and did a complete WC before putting the oranda in.

I have set the minis to low flow and put an airstone in that corner to keep him away -

he IS being pushed around by the current bec. he has very little movement,

Should I turn off the filters completely?

Maybe I should wait on the melafix - he is very weak now and I don't want to put anything in there.

• Supporter

yes, you can wait on the melafix if you think that's wise.

is there anything you can safely obstruct the filter flow with?

you will need to use the salt though, have you added that yet?

yes salt is in

He is being pushed around at least as much by the bubbles as the filter flow -

he is floating at the surface but dorsal up, not on his side.

I am more concerned about him getting stuck on the filter intakes - in the few seconds before I got him out of the main tank, he had already gotten stuck on one.

I need to leave to work now, but just to be clear - you want me to obstructs the filter output?

Update -

When I left he was only barely breathing

Now,

1) looks like both gills are pumping normally

2) no longer floating at the top, but swimming weakly mid tank

My main concern now is him just surviving.

His lower jaw is a wreck, looks like it is half missing -

can he possibly recover from this?

I just wanted to pop in for some moral support.......It sounds like you're seeing a tad bit of improvement already? I have seen fish recover from some some pretty amazing things.The only other thing I would suggest is taking the water to 78* or so-do you have a heater in there?

It turns out I made a bad situation worse.

When I saw him in the vac, my first instinct was to turn off the valve at the vac end.

his lips were in the valve when I did this, and turning off the valve severed his upper and lower lips.

I discovered his complete "lip assembly" inside the valve.

As far as how he is doing -

He is still weak, but seems to be holding his own. I think we are in for a long recovery if it is even possible.

I would like to know a couple of things if you have the answers -

1) Is it possible for him to eat?

2) will his lips grow back?

If recovery is not possible, is it better to euthenize him?

:yikes

I'm sorry this happened. I had a similar accident some while back, and unfortunately, the lip will not grow back. This will affect his eating, since he can no longer suck in food :(

I almost always never make suggestions to let a fish go, but this is one of those times. Even if he recovers, I do not think he will be able to eat and will slowly starve to death. :(

Sorry to report that when I woke up this morning, Panda was gone. I was quite surprised, but glad the decision was out of my hands.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.