Cross breeding Deformities

liberty

I was wondering is breeding to Types of goldfish together is certain crosses can have deformities such if you bred a common with ryukin

would ther be any deformities

The offspring would probably be mostly commons. There is nothing about the various types of goldfish that makes interbreeding them biologically harmful.

• 1 month later...

There wouldn't be deformities as such, but you could get some very pretty mixes such as a telescope eye X oranda can give you a fish with both a wen and telecopic eyes :)

• 1 month later...

oh i was just wondering about this as my common has been chasing my fantail & nudging at it fairly persistantly lately. it's not biting, just headbutting under the tail. not even sure of the sexes as of yet but the one i've called "him" all along is the one doing the chasing. they may just be playing but i was curious if different breeds were able to have eggs together.

True deformities such as bad backs and inverted gill covers are apt to be more common in breeding closely related fish. When you do the cross you end up with healthier fish. It is often called hybrid vigor.

The first rounds of culling line bred goldfish consists almost entirely of getting rid of the fish with deformities. Then you move on to tails, body shape etc.

oh i was just wondering about this as my common has been chasing my fantail & nudging at it fairly persistantly lately. it's not biting, just headbutting under the tail. not even sure of the sexes as of yet but the one i've called "him" all along is the one doing the chasing. they may just be playing but i was curious if different breeds were able to have eggs together.

Yes, they can. In fact goldfish and koi can even breed together, but the offspring are sterile.

But with a common and a fantail you will end up with fertile babies.